Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: Concerns about Modders selling codes.

Concerns about Modders selling codes.

Removed contents, dev replied.

2.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #2
    Developers
    Saw Milambit's comments about this elsewhere as well, and clearly we need to adjust how we do things.

Up until now we've generally said that as long as it wasn't for real money, and didn't happen in game (which we can't support), it's fine - or at least in a grey area.

Here's what I'd propose as a change, and I'm interested in the community's feedback on this, especially other modders:
    * We keep codes as is, and make it a hard and fast rule that they must be given away.
    * In addition, we give the modder a number of in-game items of their creation. These items can be traded in-game for anything they want.

This would mean that there's a strong line between the two, and that they can actually use in-game systems to exchange that version, rather than relying on code swapping and out of game trust.

I agree withu 100% TeeKayM, hope something is done about this... as I see at above post maybe????

Quote Originally Posted by Avarem View Post
    Saw Milambit's comments about this elsewhere as well, and clearly we need to adjust how we do things.

Up until now we've generally said that as long as it wasn't for real money, and didn't happen in game (which we can't support), it's fine - or at least in a grey area.

Here's what I'd propose as a change, and I'm interested in the community's feedback on this, especially other modders:
    * We keep codes as is, and make it a hard and fast rule that they must be given away.
    * In addition, we give the modder a number of in-game items of their creation. These items can be traded in-game for anything they want.

This would mean that there's a strong line between the two, and that they can actually use in-game systems to exchange that version, rather than relying on code swapping and out of game trust.
    I can definitely go by those two rules and holding the definitive line in place. 100% support.
    I'd rather keep modding as a fun thing to do on the side rather than a business for some people

~~~~~~| IGN : Bananaboms |~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~| Find me on the Trovesaurus Discord | ~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~| Recently Accepted Mod: [Aura] Musical Melee Aura! |~~~~~~

I like the idea of the proposal but as everyone knows this will cause problems, modders that have a surplus of codes can privately sell their codes and pretend that they were given away, yes there are logs and they can see the transactions but that would require a lot of manpower to keep track of who's code selling.

The second part of your proposal is quite interesting, giving them in-game items of their creation which can be traded is definitely nice, it does support modders who put work into their creations but you need to keep in mind how many you give them, giving a modder 300 codes for a costume is nice because they (the modders) will be able to give out their shiny new creation to their friends...however the problem lies at that number, 300? That's an insane amount of codes for 1 mod, I've known people who made mods and had problems getting rid of codes, they would try to give out codes through their clubs but 300 is just a lot and seeing people willing to buy those codes for a cheaper price (compared to market) encourages them to sell codes for flux which then encourages modders to only mod for flux, that's the problem that needs to be stopped.

I do agree that modders deserve some kind of reward for getting a creation ingame, I mean trion does make $$$ off of that but currently the reward for getting a mod into the game is just too much and seeing people sell codes for an insane amount of flux is disgusting, hopefully this feedback helps and I hope more people speak up to this.

IGN : Mew
    Below Mastery rank 20? Enter my refer-a-friend code (FKGEY72XLX6MG63JXZW7) here and once you reach Mastery rank 20 you'll be rewarded a class coin, you may also contact me if you've reached or are super close to Mastery rank 20 for some free goodies

Rule changes sound fine, but maybe take down the tone in the OP. "So called modders?" Avarem just said the rule was it was fine unless it was sold for real money. Maybe some people don't like it, hell, that's an insane amount of codes to be selling.. but they weren't doing anything wrong unless they collected real cashola. *shrug* I was just irritated awhile back when a so called modder offered to sell costume pack codes for flux (for a great deal btw), and got crapped on by "community" people about it.

But yeah, rule change sounds fine.
    PC IGN:Sarius PS4: mogustus

I do agree with TeeKay's post as well. I don't know if this is as much of a problem as modders themselves selling codes, but there have also been issues with players tricking modders into giving them extra codes so they can turn around and sell them.

This has happened to me, and has felt like a rather terrible thing to do as well as they were codes given out in good will, with the intention that they would have passed that code onto their friend. There's no way we can tell what someone will use their code for after we give it to them, but I feel them turning around and selling it hasn't been such a great experience either.

I do like Avarem's idea; it'll help keep modders from selling their codes if they decide to go that route, and though it may not stop this "middle man" business it's a good start.
    My Refer-A-Friend code: RFCM-KRED-2EZT-WHML-6YYD
    Recent Mods:

Sounds good, as it's a lot more clear cut. It seems like many people weren't sure if it was allowed or not and people selling them were often shouted at in various chats, because people assumed creator codes had the same rules applied to them as streamer codes. Unfortunately it will probably still happen, but at least these rules would be a lot more consistent.

On that note, what are the rules on trading codes (for example exchanging Carpet codes for Balefire codes, etc.)?
    I'm also curious, let's say I were to stream, would it be OK to give away codes that I myself won on someone else's stream?

Quote Originally Posted by Aviarei View Post
    I do agree with TeeKay's post as well. I don't know if this is as much of a problem as modders themselves selling codes, but there have also been issues with players tricking modders into giving them extra codes so they can turn around and sell them.

This has happened to me, and has felt like a rather terrible thing to do as well as they were codes given out in good will, with the intention that they would have passed that code onto their friend. There's no way we can tell what someone will use their code for after we give it to them, but I feel them turning around and selling it hasn't been such a great experience either.

I do like Avarem's idea; it'll help keep modders from selling their codes if they decide to go that route, and though it may not stop this "middle man" business it's a good start.
    Very similar things have happened to me quite frequently... I'll be happy once we all agree it's something that shouldn't generally be done. Not to mention the numerous code buyers who buy codes only for the sake of making monetary profit by selling them on a code-selling website.

I think it could be said in general that code selling is unapproved of socially; has devastating results from individual credibility to the in-game economy; and supporting the selling of codes actually goes against the spirit of the game.

I'm very glad to see an official response on the problem. Half the battle is recognizing there's a problem.
    "to be neutral, to be passive in a situation is to collaborate with whatever is going on." - Howard Zinn

...This is some music I made...

Little boxes on the hillside, / Little boxes made of ticky-tacky,
    Little boxes on the hillside...
    Little boxes, all the same...

Milambit23/Lykos23/Milambit - That guy what once roamed the Trove Creations Subreddit
    kak Быль Брat

There's a certain streamer who sells codes for EVERY mod they get in game (which is quite a lot), friend bought a wing code off them for 400k...

If the creator sells their own codes it really should just result in them getting suspensions/bans etc

IGN: Treecko | Recently came back to Trove, 420(blazeit)+ Mastery | 16.3k PR SH Main
    From 1st cache :^)
    7GZJDE7YR7HGM7NXW6DM Redeem this referral code if below mastery 20 for a free class coin and to help AlecoX get his dragon

Closed Thread