+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golden Thread Discussiuon

Golden Thread Discussiuon

Recently on the PTS I went through the golden thread up until the point that you need to hit the shadow tower and I have to say for me I feel like it’s missing a few points when it comes to what’s important to know about the game. With more and more updates the golden thread system becomes more outdated and less useful for new players. In this thread I’m going to highlight a few areas that I think could be a good place to expand upon to make sure new players aren’t as behind as they are when it comes to their knowledge and a few minor ways for them to catch up to those who’ve been playing since launch.

Right now more than ever I think we’re seeing the gap between end game and new players widen, I think for this reason we really need to think of how we’re starting those new players off in terms of their overall toolset when it comes to knowledge and to a degree what you equip on your character.

I’ll be separating this into Emblems, Allies, Mounts, and Dragons. I’m sure there are other topics but these are some of the features I feel need a bit more explaining. I won’t go into detail with new systems that are coming because we barely know about them but I do think those should be considered if a rework of the golden thread is ever done.

Emblems:
    Right now it can be weeks until you are even able to unlock one of the most important features with regards to combat, emblems. While you get the idea that there are used for healing a lot of the current meta revolves around using flasks to your advantage to maximize your clear speeds. You are really never told about this system and are expected to just ‘get it’.

For that reason I feel like there should be a set of ‘noob’ flasks that are either given to you, bought from a merchant for a small amount of flux, or crafted in some way during the golden thread quest that start to set you on this path.

It could be as simple as a noob martial and noob arcane flask that acts at 25% strength. With those two base emblems I’d think it would be important to add a few highly visual emblems into the mix. Maybe something like a noob chicken summon and maybe something very visible like the current knock back emblem would help new players see the effects themselves.

While it wouldn’t put you quite up to speed seeing as the flasks are quite weak in comparison, it would give you the idea that flasks are important and that you should be looking to get them as soon as you can while also making it just a tad bit easier to catch up to those a few weeks ahead of you.

Allies:

Right now allies are sort of ignored in the tutorial and I think that is a pretty big mistake since they can be a pretty decent chunk of your class’s power. Even if the golden thread nudges players to make the bounding boot (1 golden soul, a boot, and 50 glim to craft), I think it’d be a step in the right direction. It’s a relatively minor addition but I think it’d be for the benefit of new players just so they know that when they get an ally it’s your little buddy that’ll give you a few buffs.

Craft able mount and gardening:

While I’m sure new players will eventually stumble across the adventurers crafting station I feel like a bit of a nudge towards it wouldn’t hurt. It definitely would require a bit of gardening for some of the mounts with steed feed but I think some progress steps that fall a bit ‘later’ on the thread would be an overall positive.

With this kind of task I think it could be a cool place to add an extra reward besides cubits in the form of a non-tradeable omni mount unlocker. For one it’d give them a cool new mount that could have a chance to feel pretty unique to the player but it’d also act as a sort of advertisement for the collection pack being there which I think would be a fair trade off. Let’s start their collections addiction early! C:

Dragon:

Especially now with the straight stat buffs dragons are even more important but until you reach rank 30 and even then you are sort of left in the dark about them. For that reason I think it could be cool to have a mastery 20 golden thread that dealt with doing ‘challenges’ to unlock souls.

To facilitate this I think something like locking uber 1 into a ‘noob challenge’ that gives you a ‘noob dragon box’ could be a really interesting way to start teaching players the mechanic.

It wouldn’t go as far as unlocking a fire breathing beast but I think having it go as far as gliding dragon would be fair. I also don’t know if the buff should be nearly as strong but maybe some variant of the buff could be nice here that gives more minor at a earlier stage then the current dragons do. I also don’t think we’d need to include some of the things like auras here.

Anywho, those are just my thoughts on the golden thread with concerns new player progression.

Let me know what you guys think and if I missed anything!

Thanks for reading,

Stedms
    “Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.”― Mark Twain

I really like the idea of a newbie emblem that boosts damage maybe by even 50%... I mean it will still be directly worse than martial or arcane but it would definatly teach new players the basics of using flasks for damage as well as softening the gap between not having that emblem unlocked and unlocking it.

The challenges are also a kinda nice idea but I feel would take a lot more work on the devs part - maybe the golden thread can pop up again when the player reaches 30 mastery (or is it 20 now?) and guide the players through challenges.

I agree with pretty much everything you said here, especially the emblems. I started in October and didn't know how important it was to get an arcane emblem or anything until after chloromancer came out and that it would actually let me survive in u5

I agree that they are missing steps to explain what the game even is in the golden thread.

Well said, Sted. I completely agree, especially the emblems part.
    IGN: Smeeshy | Voxel Busters President| Catch Smeeshy on Twitch | RAF Code: X6QPMRN2H7H72XX3J6LR

Waaaaay up in the mountains of New Mexico
    Great list! I agree that the GT should keep up with the times on these things.

I can't think of anything to add to this off the top of my head, but pondering is imminent.
    Co-Founder of Defiant Few! Come visit us by entering /joinworld defiant few in your chat window!

Check out some videos of our flight courses!
    Even better, check out my stream for tours of the club!

Quote Originally Posted by bahoin View Post
    I really like the idea of a newbie emblem that boosts damage maybe by even 50%... I mean it will still be directly worse than martial or arcane but it would definatly teach new players the basics of using flasks for damage as well as softening the gap between not having that emblem unlocked and unlocking it.

The challenges are also a kinda nice idea but I feel would take a lot more work on the devs part - maybe the golden thread can pop up again when the player reaches 30 mastery (or is it 20 now?) and guide the players through challenges.
    Definetly agree about the emblems being the most important thing that needs a nudge.

I think challenges are 30 now, I do think it would be a bit harder to implement but I think it could be nice to get that a bit earlier to start gearing players towards knowing why they exactly want to do challenges and what not.
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatClam6MKV2 View Post
    I agree with pretty much everything you said here, especially the emblems. I started in October and didn't know how important it was to get an arcane emblem or anything until after chloromancer came out and that it would actually let me survive in u5
    Yeah, exactly, I’m pretty sure you’re not alone in that boat, it makes me wonder how long it takes players on average to figure out that emblems are a thing xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Shidou View Post
    I agree that they are missing steps to explain what the game even is in the golden thread.
    Yeah, the golden thread needs some love c:
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeeshy View Post
    Well said, Sted. I completely agree, especially the emblems part.
    Emblems are the most important missing part, the others would be nice but especially seeing how most everyone is mentioning it in this thread I think it says something about emblems being missing there >_<
    Quote Originally Posted by Market View Post
    Great list! I agree that the GT should keep up with the times on these things.

I can't think of anything to add to this off the top of my head, but pondering is imminent.
    Thanks!

Without an updated tutorial all the newbies are left in the dark which isn’t a ideal situation so hopefully it’ll at least get considered in the future.

Let me know if you think of any other potential systems it should cover C:
    “Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.”― Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread