+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: Resolved! - Extended Downtime - Database Migration - 1/19/2016

1.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #1

Resolved! - Extended Downtime - Database Migration - 1/19/2016

Update 15:45 PST (1:45 AM GMT):

Hey all,

Avarem here.

We wanted to provide you with an update on our progress: right now the data transfer is moving more slowly than we had initially anticipated.

While the transfer is going well, and we’ve moved a substantial amount of data to the new hardware (fun fact: the number of Trove characters ever made is in the millions.), we are going to need additional time for it to complete and run our internal tests of the new system.

To be sure that we allow enough time to clear the tasks that remain, we’re adding an additional 24 hours to our expected downtime. We hope to be online by 6AM PST (2PM GMT) on January 22nd.

Believe me, we want to get back in game as much (or possibly more!) than you do and we would rather extend our outage than rush something this important. As always, thanks for bearing with us as we make these improvements and we appreciate your patience.

------

Greetings Trovians!

Uptime and stability improvements have been our technical teams’ #1 priority. We’d like to share the next important step: A full upgrade and replacement of our data storage system to one that can handle Trove’s scale.

For the last few weeks we’ve been testing our new storage system on the on the Public Test Server. We’re happy to say that it’s gone well, and it’s time to do it live! However, it's going to take some time - up to 48 hours to complete the full upgrade.

In addition to the long term improvements, we’re offering special bonuses and loot for everyone once Trove is back online. Sign into Trove after the downtime, but before 11:59 PM PST January 24th to receive:
    • Chromatic Cumulus mount – A cloud mount complete with rainbow!
    • 5 days of Patron Status for Trovians Mastery rank 20 and above!
    • Active Patrons will receive an additional 5 Patron days!
    • 2x Battle Exp in Trove PvP through 1/24/16!

Why is the downtime needed?

Trove has outgrown the original database that stored game data. With the number of players creating the vast, intricate Club Worlds, we used up a lot of our data storage very quickly. With the existing system being overworked, we started to see stability issues. This is why we have trouble bringing the game back online as quickly as we’d like after a crash, and why we perform scheduled maintenance on both Tuesday and Friday.

To resolve these issues, we’ve purchased all new database hardware, and are transitioning to a bigger and more efficient method of storing game information. The amount of data being moved is massive, so we’re going to need an extended downtime for this transfer. We’re expecting to have up to 48 hours of downtime starting on 1/19/2016. The extra time will allow us to bring the system offline, transfer the existing game data to the new database, and run tests to be sure everything is working as it should. Your consecutive days will not reset during this downtime. Once we're back online, if you notice an issue with your consecutive days, let us know and we'll check it out.

What can we expect once Trove is back online?

We can’t promise that this is a magic bullet solution that will fix every issue, but it is a huge leap forward. In the weeks following the database migration we should start to see substantial improvements in server stability, reduction in downtime needed, and quicker restarts if anything unexpected should happen.

This database migration will put us on a solid foundation for all the adventures to come!

Inb4 1 week downtime

what happens to consecutive days though? will everyone lose them?
    feel free to redo and make a new post for any of my mods, i will not be working on any of them.
    if you choose to remake and repost any of them, you will own it completely.
    MY MODS

Well then. This is exciting! Can't wait to see the improvements to server stability this brings!
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarem View Post
    This is unnecessary.
    IGN: Dosgrim / Unostar
    My Club (feel free to join): /joinworld Undying Spirit
    Come check out my Pokemon Rp ask blog on Tumblr! http://ask-justin-and-angel.tumblr.com/ Feel free to ask us anything! Anons welcome!

I better take screen shot of my items before the 2 days downtime for insurances.

Would be nice to have a lag free trove
    MR: 4xx

6.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by killerpirate02 View Post
    Nope! We won't penalize players for being unable to sign in during this downtime. If you do notice them reset after the downtime, it's accidental, and will be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by killerpirate02 View Post
    Pretty sure there is a 72 hour failsafe in the game to save the Consecutive days thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasti View Post
    Nope! We won't penalize players for being unable to sign in during this downtime. If you do notice them reset after the downtime, it's accidental, and will be fixed.
    cool, thanks! i'll tell my club
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRaven View Post
    Pretty sure there is a 72 hour failsafe in the game to save the Consecutive days thing.
    48, not 72, but i guess it is in this case :P
    feel free to redo and make a new post for any of my mods, i will not be working on any of them.
    if you choose to remake and repost any of them, you will own it completely.
    MY MODS

But what am I meant to do without Trove for 2 whole days? I am so absorbed in building right now, I get very obsessed with my projects - and... well now... I won't be able to.

You'll find me rocking back and forth in a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepski View Post
    But what am I meant to do without Trove for 2 whole days? I am so absorbed in building right now, I get very obsessed with my projects - and... well now... I won't be able to.

You'll find me rocking back and forth in a corner.
    Hone your powers in MagicaVoxel, like I taught you.

Use said powers for evil.
    IGN: VoltRabbit Officer of: Garden of Wool, Leading the Rabbit Revolution.

I play other games too, if you can recognize them, you can find me.

+ Reply to Thread