+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: [Ideas] Expanding exploration - Stat Fruits, Dream Realm and Sun Vaults

Lightbulb [Ideas] Expanding exploration - Stat Fruits, Dream Realm and Sun Vaults

I had this few loosely related ideas that can improve the exploration aspect of the game, hope you like them. Currently exploration is limited pretty only to S.O.A.R., because even if worlds are procedurally generated, there's really no reason to go to a biome far from spawn, other than looking for ores or unfinished lairs.

So my ideas are:

Stat Fruit
    They are plants found around different biomes. Each fruit type corresponds to differet stat, included stas are PD, MD, MH, ME, HR, ER, Stability, CH, CR, MS, AS, Jump, Superstition (?), MF and Lasermancy.

When Fruit is collected, it will appear in your inventory and can't be sold. Using Fruit will permanently increase its corresponding stat by 1. Each stat has a different limit on how much it can be increased, i.e. 100 for health, 50 for damage, 20 for crit hit, 5 for jump etc. When you reach the limit, you can deconstruct them for 25 Glims.

Each Fruit type appears in different biomes and structures (maybe in Hub too, rarely). Some of them may lay on ground, be hidden underground, found in small plant-like structures or even buried. Their rarity also vary, depending mostly on their limit. Fruits are shared among near players like Sunlight Bulbs, but with much smaller range. It is unlikely that random person will get a Fruit if you are harvesting them.

Alternative
    After a small discussion few posts below, fruits could also work differently. Their effect could be temporary and they would be tradeable. Collecting fruits would count toward a badge that increases all stats. The temporary effect would make them more distinct from shards. Also, badge would require lots of fruits (at least for higher levels) and have rather minor boosts, so it doesn't become so significant that it feels like obligatory grind.

Stat Shard
    They are similar to Stat Fruits, although their mechanics differ. They take appearance more of Radiant Shards and are collected upon destruction, but there's another catch.

They only appear in Lairs and normal Dungeons and their different variations (similar to S.O.A.R.) and the thing is, you can use only one Shard from each location. That means, when you find a Shard in Lair X and use it, you can no longer use another Shard found in that Lair. However, Lairs and Dungeons are known to have different variations. So Shard from Lair X variation Y is different than X variation Z (I hope someone understands this, lol). Shards in Lairs/Dungeons are of course hidden. There are already some dead ends in some dungeons etc. and more of them could be adapted to hide shards.

Shards have also a slightly different effect than Fruits. They don't increase your stats when you collect them, but rather count for a special badge. When you collect all Shards for stat badge, it will permanently increase that stat by 1% as a reward. There's one badge for all of stats, including Flask Capacity, Experience Boos and Crafting Speed, but excluding Chaos/Battle Factor.

All this means, that if you want to get all the bonuses, you need to look for the Stat Shards in different Lairs/Dungeons in the game, much like with S.O.A.R. Also, collect range for Stat Shards is extremely smaller. It's guaranteed for player who destroys the shard, but more players need to stand VERY close to get the shard too.

Stat Shards give 50 Glims when deconstructed.

Chaos Fruit Cluster
    This is very similar to Stat Shards, but Chaos Fruits are hidden only in Dungeons/Shadow Dungeons. You need to collect 100 of them to gain permanent 1 Chaos Factor.

To make it harder, you can no longer collect Chaos Fruit when you die close to it, you need to find another one. Dying range is of course much bigger than collect range. This causes, that you have to be wary of traps when trying to reach them, which may allow to make special obstacle courses in some dungeons. Of course, paths to fruits are supposed to be branching from main dungeon course and be hidden. That's the exploration idea behind this.

Chaos Fruit gives 100 Glims when deconstructed.

Dream Realm
    Portals to Dream Realm are be found in world like Shadow Arenas used to. They aren't in big structures, but rather a smaller and more hidden ones.

Dream Realm portal has a base somewhat reminescent of a bed. They don't need a key to activate, but once activated, they have a time limit. Upon entering portal, you appear in a single biome with one lair. The biome contains also wandering unique mobs and some ores. Among ores, there's also a new ore, called Dreamordial Flame. It can be used maybe to forge gear, customize it or whatever.

Lairs have unique objective: "Vanquish the Nightmares". What you have to do is to kill all mobs within the lair, including multiple bosses. Lairs themselves aren't too big of course. When finished, a special chest appears. It contains 2 (or 3) random gear pieces from unique Dream set and some amount of Dream Shards.

Dream Shards are used to craft uniqe Dream stuff, just like Shadow Shards do. There's no RNG box, but there also could be wings to craft or boats etc. and everything requires additional resources besides Shards. Also, to craft with Dream Shards, you need to make Dreamcrafting Station, which is made with Dream Shards somewhere (maybe Dragon Crudible or Shadow Market).

I mentioned time limit. When you open the portal, you have few minutes. When time limit ends, all players are teleported outside and portal is sealed. So within the limit you have to clear the lair and get the ores. It's obvious that Dream Realm is better completed in groups.

Sun Vault
    They are mini-lairs in Sky Realm. They are indestructible until completed and can be opened with Vault Key crafted with Dream Shards (and Shadow Shards?). They have one small room inside and 3 Sky Giants as guardians. Room is so small that you need to fight outside. When you kill giants, unique chest appears inside vault. Chest contains only gear, which is at least SL1 (but with less chance for pearls) and gear is from Style Vaults.

So that's all. I really hope that that some of these ideas are used in-game, even if changed to money-making form, like Trion likes. But exploration aspect of the game is something very lacky currently, and additional sidequests would make it more interesting.

Sounds like another RNG grind.
    It will be great if we have these but they give flux, forged souls, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 500Minions View Post
    And what is the problem with RNG grind ? this game is about RNG grind......................

If you are under mastery 20 and are willing to refer me, I'll give you a present (plus the free class coin). Talk to me IGN: Toack or send me a PM on the forum.

Love the ideas/concept!

I would like these stat fruit and stuff things BUT if its permament with a limit its just grind to the limit and never ever collect this again.
    So I would suggest the effect will fade after some time so you cant reach the limit AND you will always have to watch for it if you are trying to do higher levels (buff should last maybe 1-3 days). So you farm 1 day and other day have more power for doing something (if there would be very hard levels for only SOLO, group with buff would be too OP and luring leechers there lying about their buffs).

New biomes and concepts I always appreciate!
    And also more mobs for collecting something or kill rare mobs for something. Idk, Trove has so much potential. <3
    IGN: Ezcaflowne - Mastery 300 - Battle Rank: 50
    Visit the Fortras Lancer Mod made by Delicious and Pirate Joe!! click HERE <3
    Check out Datguy80 fortras ally mod, its awesome, too! click HERE

Quote Originally Posted by 500Minions View Post
    Which part is RNG grind?

I know looking for particular dungeons might be tedious, but this is something that can be done while casual farming. Like, you are farming U6 and you see a lair that has purple torch (just an example), and you know that there's a Stat Shard hidden there, so when you clear it, you go for the shard. That's of course for people who don't like it. I'm sure there are also players who will be happy that some lairs/dungeons gain actual distinction, because for now, they feel too repetitive. And until all shard/fruit locations are found, many of these players will also be happy to search for them to fill the information on the wiki or something.

As for Dream Realm part, not sure if calling searching for portal the "RNG grind" is right. SAs used to be like this, but their problem was that you could make SA infinitely when found one, so there was no real reason for them to be scattered around the worlds ("oh, I want to do SAs the whole day, but first, I need to find one"). For Dream portals, you might stumble upon them while farming too, if you don't like searching. That way of course it might take longer to get all their rewards, but you might as well buy them from Market from people who actually like this kind of stuff.

(now that I think of it, Stat Fruits/Shards could actually be tradeable, so people who don't feel like looking for them will just buy them. But people who like it will of course be the source for other people to buy it, sooo...)

sounds good but it would be giant, almost a second MoP update

I really really love these ideas fundamentally.

However, I disagree with the stat fruit. The concept of fruit is awesome; however, having a stat limit would cause people to simply grind for stats, not really adding much to the exploration aspect in the long run.

The fruit, IMO, should either give decent temporary buffs, or give resources, as others have suggested. This would easily give the stat fruit more value long term, and make them feel like less of something to actually grind because it's not something completionists absolutely have to rely on and throw to the side later. Even if the stat fruits were tradable, it'd be better for there overall value, IMO, if they always had some value to the player that found it, and never became something that you simply max out, especially if exploration is the main focus.Maybe there could be a "Fruits Collected" badge that increases all stats permanently, similar to stat shards.

Overall - Making the fruit feel like an endgame objective with a limit feels sorta grindy. Giving it temporary stat boosts or resources instead (alternatives that power completionists don't absolutely need to perfect themselves in the long run) give them more long term value than "getting max stats and only trading them off", and moreso guarantees that finding one is just as rewarding each and every time.

(All of this feedback is only for the stat fruit in particular)

^
    I'm not sure about the temporary part. You will surely find people who will want to have max stats, so they will feel obliged to farm the fruits until they are maxed out for the current period. They will of course complain that they have to grind like stupid every few days. The question is, if such people are minority. Or maybe the ones that want it permanent are minority?

Also, the idea of fruits is to give minor boosts. Temporary and minor boost would make them almost useless probably. But then, people wouldn't feel they need to collect them each time. But would that be even worth implementing? And giving too major boosts would fuel the grinding.

The existence of hardcore players in this case saddens me. The fruits are supposed to be something that you stumble upon during your adventure to have a nice reward for just adventuring. Temporary or not, it feels like it will draw players that will consider it a grind anyways. Also, temporary stats + permanent badge is a nice idea. I will add it to OP as an alternative.

The base idea sounds great. This should definitely be in Trove.

+ Reply to Thread