+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: These "raffles"

  1. #1
    Senior Member Grievous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,066

    These "raffles"

    This isn't naming and shaming, this isn't flaming, this isn't unproductive content. If anything, I congratulate Lion for getting away with such a thing without being noticed.
    I'm helping the community realize what wording can do to your brain and how it affects everyone.

    Well, I decided to just make a post since I've been getting PM's about this post: http://forums.trovegame.com/showthre...597#post338597

    I had to explain how the house profited a ton because of the flaws people couldn't spot out.
    Yeah you're entering a raffle for cheaper but you're also helping the house profit tons without realizing it.


    X = Tickets
    Y = 3000 (Flux, cost per ticket)
    P = Overall Profit
    W = Winners (4)
    Total Tickets Sold: 90
    ~~~~
    X*3000 = 270,000
    ~~~~

    Truefire/Balefire Phoenix Mount Cost: 50~70k) Let's average that out to 60k?

    ~~~~
    270,000 - (60,000 * 4) = 270,000 - 240,000 = 30,000

    P = 30,000
    ~~~~

    That is 30,000 profit for himself for hosting a "raffle"
    This is made for profit, no other reason behind it.
    It was smart, yes. But to the educated they can easily spot the flaw.
    Let's go with Truefire/Balefire Phoenix Mount Cost: 65k to make it more fair, why not?

    ~~~~
    270,000 - (65,000 * 4) = 270,000 - 260,000 = 20,000

    P = 20,000
    ~~~~

    That's an extra Truefire/Balefire Phoenix Mount off of just hosting this giveaway, a profit of 80k.
    Let's take the other 10 entries that weren't fulfilled. (These don't really matter but why not, let's show the profit here)
    ~~~~
    X = 80 (90 - 10 entries)
    Y = 3000

    X * Y = 240,000

    That's 0 profit in the end for the host, that is why the amount needed per rank is 15 therefore there is profit being made.
    ~~~~

    There are other prizes that can be accounted but regardless, there is no profit for anything besides the house.

    Vintage Founder | IGN: Grievous | /w for invite to Vintage!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    657
    I.... Uh....
    This is how raffles work though?
    **** loads go into the pot, the house keeps the difference and the person entering gets or doesn't get the prize which they have agreed upon.
    They agreed to do this - Of course the house profits, who doesn't realize that?

    Tbh I'm mad I didn't think of it first GG Lion

  3. #3
    Senior Member Grievous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kek View Post
    I.... Uh....
    This is how raffles work though?
    **** loads go into the pot, the house keeps the difference and the person entering gets or doesn't get the prize which they have agreed upon.
    They agreed to do this - Of course the house profits, who doesn't realize that?

    Tbh I'm mad I didn't think of it first GG Lion
    Yes, it's how they work.
    But is it right to mislead people into thinking they get it for cheaper? As that's what's said in the thread.
    Eh, maybe not maybe it's just my point of view. But I just think people don't know how to do the math correctly and didn't notice how much profit was being gained.
    I'm not going against Lion, he's smart for doing it and fooling people which is what I was going to do but never had the time to.

    Vintage Founder | IGN: Grievous | /w for invite to Vintage!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Dunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Behind you!
    Posts
    655
    I'm perfectly fine with raffles. The problem comes in when people make absolute bank and then don't come through with their items or it's an alt account who wins, and they simply trade the item back to themselves, lay low until they see a buyer for said item, and sell it away. (They can always say they have multiple as well too)

    My goal is that once I get a chaos coin I'll be doing the same thing, or I might do the same thing with my radiant sword. Not sure if it would be nice enough for people to bid on or anything though xD

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Grievous View Post
    Yes, it's how they work.
    But is it right to mislead people into thinking they get it for cheaper? As that's what's said in the thread.
    Eh, maybe not maybe it's just my point of view. But I just think people don't know how to do the math correctly and didn't notice how much profit was being gained.
    I'm not going against Lion, he's smart for doing it and fooling people which is what I was going to do but never had the time to.
    So you made this post to warn people about how Lion was making profit from a raffle, as if it were bad that he was making profit, then say that you were going to fool people but you didnt have time as well..? GG

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    132
    I guess I don't understand why these are allowed but codes are not, seeing as it is just as easy to go 'hey, hosting a raffle!' take everyone's money then split.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Dunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Behind you!
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by StarPinata View Post
    I guess I don't understand why these are allowed but codes are not, seeing as it is just as easy to go 'hey, hosting a raffle!' take everyone's money then split.
    Eventually if raffles become commonplace like codeselling was, it will become a bannable offense. Every mmo i've ever played has banned forms of raffles from their forums.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Grievous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by AgeOfEquinox View Post
    So you made this post to warn people about how Lion was making profit from a raffle, as if it were bad that he was making profit, then say that you were going to fool people but you didnt have time as well..? GG
    I already stated that I congratulate Lion for it.
    If it wasn't me who was going to come out and say it someone else would've. Several people PMed me about the raffle thread before-hand speaking about how much of a scam it is. I was just the one who explained it and posted it after.
    GG

    Vintage Founder | IGN: Grievous | /w for invite to Vintage!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by Grievous View Post
    I already stated that I congratulate Lion for it.
    If it wasn't me who was going to come out and say it someone else would've. Several people PMed me about the raffle thread before-hand speaking about how much of a scam it is. I was just the one who explained it and posted it after.
    GG
    How is it a scam? He is smart enough to create the raffle to make profit from it. People who entered know exactly they won't get the prize for granted. I honestly don't see the problem. Those calling it a "scam" are probably jealous of the profit he made from it.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by godkiu View Post
    How is it a scam? He is smart enough to create the raffle to make profit from it. People who entered know exactly they won't get the prize for granted. I honestly don't see the problem. Those calling it a "scam" are probably jealous of the profit he made from it.
    Lol Grievous's post comes off as him trying to "warn" people about these scams, yet he is supposedly "congratulating" Lion.. I think Grievous is just jealous that someone got around to this "scam" before he did

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts