+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: Troxel - a Voxel-Viewer and -Editor html5 WebApp

Post Troxel - a Voxel-Viewer and -Editor html5 WebApp

Hi, let me introduce you to a tool I'm working on for quite a while now. It's a HTML5 WebApp for viewing and editing voxel models with some extra Trove specific features.

Visit Troxel: https://chrmoritz.github.io/Troxel/ (or open a example model)
    Source code (licensed under GPLv3) and issue tracker: https://github.com/chrmoritz/Troxel (every contribution is welcome ;-) )

It should run in every browser with WebGL support (tested with the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari and IE) and it's still in an early development phase (it should run quite stable now, but some features are still missing).

If you want to view Trove's voxel models in Troxel you have to convert the .blueprint files into .qb files first using Trove's devtool and then you can simply drag all 4 material maps in Troxel's open dialog to open the voxel model.
    @devs: Would creating a list of all items from Trove with the ability to view them as readonly 3d models be allowed?

Current Features:
    • import and export from and to these file formats
      • Qubicle(.qb): fully supported including compression, multi matrix...
      • this includes support for all 4 material maps from Trove
      • Magica Voxel(.vox)
      • Zoxel(.zox)
      • and Troxels own compressed Base64 format (used for sharing as links)
    • 3D voxel viewer: with free view controls and support for Trove's alpha map (support for type and specular map in development)
    • basic voxel editor: add/delete voxel (with all 4 material map informations at once), rotate and mirror (more advanced editing options planned)
    Controls:
    • View mode: LMB = rotate | RMB = pan | MMB = zoom
    • Edit mode: LMB = add voxel | RMB = remove voxel | MMB = pick color/alpha/type/specular map of this voxel | holding Alt = moving model like in view mode
    • Keyboard (both modes): WASD = rotate | arrow keys = pan | QE = zoom
    Feel free to leave your feedback or suggestions here and report any issues/bugs you might find.

2.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #2
    Developers
    .... Dude.... I have no words. This is just amazing. I just freaked out and showed the entire team. This blows my mind. I'm going to share this with our mods on Trove Creations and the Creations reddit. This is just surprising and humbling to see something so powerful made around so much of our work. I'm going to shove this in the face of everyone I possibly can.

Good stuff. You did a great job putting this together.

4.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #4
    Developers
    @devs: Would creating a list of all items from Trove with the ability to view them as readonly 3d models be allowed?
    Yes, I think it would be a great asset for creators

Very very nice, I'll probably use this
    IGN: Celeress
    Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/celeress
    My latest mod: Battle Banner Sage
    Referral Code: YCCR-JL2Q-D7TH-79DE-WZK6
    Mastery level: 200
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpntug View Post
    we want to ease into the idea like an old man into a tub

6.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #6
    Developer
    Seconded, this is quite amazing!

One thing that may be useful for some folks would be a dropdown from where you can set the editing volume to preset values based on the things we are currently accepting as submissions - so you can choose 'decor' and it creates a 12x12x12 volume you can create your prop in, or choose 'melee' and the volume is set to 10x10x35, etc. Not strictly necessary, but might be a 'nice to have' feature.

But yeah, what Grump said, this is really, really cool. I think I'mma give it a spin when I can find a moment to duck away from the ever-watching gaze of Q'bthulhu

Banned
    Very nice, but I noticed that there seems to be a problem with Alpha maps, a gun I am working on with no transparency showed up almost entirely transparent except for some center blocks (likely ones I didn't make white on the alpha map). Also, I'd prefer the material maps be arranged alphabetically (A, S, T) so that it's easier to simply go down an alphabetical list to get the maps I want.

Troxel display, uses normal and alpha map, same result (unpictured) with all maps
    In-game view, all maps

Very cool!

I did not play around with it too much but it seemed sluggish. I suspect this is the nature of HTML5?
    I'm on an AMD 8350 | 16g Ram | 500g SSD SATA 3 | 2X GTX 1g 460V2 Ti

Will it support exporting with all the data needed to set the masks er transparencies and points where avatar's hand is placed and all the data Trion Devs need to just pop it in or for us to pop it in? I ask because I don't think Zoxel has this and you manually have to create 5 or 4 different versions?

- W

Wow, this easily trumps any existing editor for making Trove-specific models.

I'll have to request keyboard shortcuts (Tab to switch between view/edit? WASD+QE camera controls?) and an in-browser colour picker + palette

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang
    Will it support exporting with all the data needed to set the masks er transparencies and points where avatar's hand is placed and all the data Trion Devs need to just pop it in or for us to pop it in? I ask because I don't think Zoxel has this and you manually have to create 5 or 4 different versions?
    Try clicking the Export model as... button. It already exports up to 4 .qb files if you need the additional maps. The attachment point for equipment is simply a #FF00FF voxel in the main file, no special feature needed. The only thing you need to do outside Troxel is to use the devtool to mix down to one .blueprint for previewing in-game and submission.

And no existing voxel editor has support for Trove's 1+3 file "format". It's basically like hacking together a layered image format using multiple jpg's.

[MOD] Chatfix - remove alternating background
    Not Dazo's Forging Guide - collecting new stats after changes to shadow and 2* items

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpntug View Post
    .... Dude.... I have no words. This is just amazing. I just freaked out and showed the entire team. This blows my mind. I'm going to share this with our mods on Trove Creations and the Creations reddit. This is just surprising and humbling to see something so powerful made around so much of our work. I'm going to shove this in the face of everyone I possibly can.
    Thanks for the feedback :-) Im currently working on getting the Trove itemlist in and some other bugfixing.

Quote Originally Posted by Atronos View Post
    One thing that may be useful for some folks would be a dropdown from where you can set the editing volume to preset values based on the things we are currently accepting as submissions
    Nice idea. More features for the editor are on my todo list, which is getting really long ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Walyn View Post
    Very nice, but I noticed that there seems to be a problem with Alpha maps, a gun I am working on with no transparency showed up almost entirely transparent except for some center blocks (likely ones I didn't make white on the alpha map).
    The funny thing is, that a recently changed the transparency behavior all the way around, because I thought I was fixing a bug. In fact the devtool is exporting all solid blocks as 101010 instead of as FFFFFF.
    So this is a bug in Troves devtool qb exporter. ping @Kiwibird (I know you have written this exporter. I've found your easter egg in every matrix name :P)
    I will revert this behavior and keep a copy of the current one for the Trove item importer until the devtool gets fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Walyn View Post
    Also, I'd prefer the material maps be arranged alphabetically (A, S, T) so that it's easier to simply go down an alphabetical list to get the maps I want.
    You can just drag on drop all 4 files at once into the open dialog instead of selecting each one separate with the file input .

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
    I did not play around with it too much but it seemed sluggish. I suspect this is the nature of HTML5?
    Which browser did you use? I would highly recommend Chrome or Firefox. Are these other WebGL examples running fine for you? On the other hand I must admit, that there is still a lot of optimization missing: Everything runs in the same thread as the GUI (so any file operation will block the UI). It is planned for the near future to move some work into WebWorkers (we have a hard dependency on WebGL so we don't have to care about to old browser), which are running in different threads. On other problem is that using the rotate or mirror functions multiple times within a short interval could result in memory leaks, because this code is not optimized for the garbage collector yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapher View Post
    I'll have to request keyboard shortcuts (Tab to switch between view/edit? WASD+QE camera controls?) and an in-browser colour picker + palette
    You can pan the model with the arrow keys atm. More keyboard shortcuts will be added at some time. The color picker + palette should be a feature, which your browser should offer to you. It depends of your browsers implementation of <input type="color>, but at least a colour picker should be shown after clicking on a color input.

+ Reply to Thread