+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: Guidelines for mods

Quote Originally Posted by MysticLugia View Post
    Just as a question however: what if we dont want the mod to be a part of the game and just make them for fun purposes, can we then add custom vfx. Simply said "fun to use mod costumes" and only remove the custom vfx and textures if its a skin you want to have in-game?
    Yes, you can of course do that. Most people who are modding now are interested in getting their creation in-game and so these new guidelines were direct at them. If you want to have a mod for your own enjoyment with crazy VFX, etc. you are more than welcome to.

2.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #12
    Developers
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenbear View Post
    Looking for some clarification. Is slight modification allowed when working with the original texture files for wings? For instance, my Rainbow Wings use the original Mastery wing texture file, but with the pointed tips slightly edited into curves to give more of a peacock feather impression. If layered over each other in Photoshop though, it's obvious they're still the same .dds file. Just wondering if that level of tweaking is allowed or not.
    No. Slight modification is still a new texture. This isn't so much about visual as game size and having to work with new files. If you change an existing texture even in the slightest way, it has to be saved as a new texture. So you'll have to keep to what we have. The VFX files we get for wings must just be the VFX file no new textures.

3.   This is the last Trove Team post in this thread.   #13
    Developers
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticLugia View Post
    Just as a question however: what if we dont want the mod to be a part of the game and just make them for fun purposes, can we then add custom vfx. Simply said "fun to use mod costumes" and only remove the custom vfx and textures if its a skin you want to have in-game?
    Of course! If it's just local on your machine it doesn't change the core game we send to other players. If it's local, mod to your hearts content. These guidelines are simply for players looking to get their mods officially added into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpntug View Post
    No. Slight modification is still a new texture. This isn't so much about visual as game size and having to work with new files. If you change an existing texture even in the slightest way, it has to be saved as a new texture. So you'll have to keep to what we have. The VFX files we get for wings must just be the VFX file no new textures.
    Tbh I feel like out of all the wings that had textures in them, these were the ones that fit the most with Trove. Sucks we won't be seeing them.

Sad, but also good for Trove. I understand why this has to happen, but love the freedom to design new things. The Infineon Wings and especially the Midnight Mantle Wings would not have been possible without new textures. This does make my job easier though, so I guess I can pump out more stuff. No more worrying about VFX unless it's wings! xD I'm still glad I learned it and got my stuff in before the change. Keep up the good work on the Trion end!

I'm simultaneously happy and sad about reading that new textures won't be submitted. I had plans for my pirate mod for the explosion vfx, so there's where the sad part comes in, but the happy part comes in because I guess I don't have to stress myself out on working on vfx...? So I guess that's good...? I don't know, I'm still trying to decide. Hehe.

I'll see if I can incorporate preexisting vfx though. I still think it would look better with something just a little bit different. Hmm...
    Why don't pirates go to strip clubs?
    They already have all the booty...

Way to spit in peoples faces that create awesome new VFX specifically for their creation tbh.

Also maybe you should possibly have more then just 1 person working on "adjusting and optimizing player made VFX" since that's a lot of work for just 1 person so i understand where she(Keetsie) is coming from. Then maybe you'd be able to do it more efficiently then putting it all on 1 person causing them to consider it "too large of a time investment" (also this seems like a person that doesn't care that much about implementing peoples creations but it could just be from what i said before, only 1 person working on it).

Also how does "taking new textures along with VFX" decrease optimization besides just making the game size a lil bigger, which isn't really an issue since trove is like what? 4GBs or so? there's some games that are like 15GBs(Team Fortress 2) and some even way higher. Unless there's some other reason that i just don't know about. Also something to add here "This isn't so much about visual as game size and having to work with new files." like i said before the game isnt even that Huge to worry about its size yet (unless my estimate was way wrong).

"I know some of you will feel like this could hinder some of your creativity" Yea it sure does m8.

I guess at-least this is being done: "Keetsie will, however, be making a library over time of new textures that can be used by you guys." but how little time would it take for those VFX to become overused and get boring?

that's all i feel like writing(I could probably go on more but nah) and this is just my opinion since for some reason people don't mind this change but i personally don't like it.

Milambit agrees
    Quote Originally Posted by Milambit View Post
    Wait... VFX...Textures...
    That really grinds my gears...

into obsolescence...
    Edit: The main post is old plus the Mecha Draco got in with custom VFX by a player so this is probably not going to be in effect.
    My Trovesaurus Account
    In Game Name: ArtiusFox PTS: Artius222
    Mastery Rank: Live: *423* PTS: *394*
    Chaos Factor: Live: 4 PTS: 13, Battle Factor: Live: 3 PTS: 0
    Current Flux: 3,195
    Classes Unlocked: 15/15 All 7.5k+ PR
    My Club: Fox World, Props: 727 Come see it, Club also in PTS.
    Help me get Disaeon: Get Referred Here (Below 20 Mastery) 7/30
    Applying Mods with: Tmod Files, 23 Mods Active(Live)
    Signature Updated as of 11/15/17 3:30 AM EST(Eastern USA)

What about ally mods? are there any rules for those?
    IGN: DatGuy80
    Mains: Shadow Hunter, Tombraiser
    Life is easier than you think but harder when you think

hey, guys! how can i delete a GUI, if idk a path to mod? i can manage new mods only, but i can't delete old mods what i can't seen on my MODS.
    IGN: PinkiePie | My Trovesaurus page | Steam | Reddit

+ Reply to Thread