+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: Guidelines for mods

1.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #1
    Developers

Guidelines for mods

Hey everyone! Trove is in full launch and on steam now which is super amazing! This means more people seeing that they can make mods, etc. which means more submissions.

Mods have become their own beast from the other creations over on reddit and we havenít really had any guidelines for it. Iíve seen some amazing pieces come through the pipe and itís cool to see so many dedicated players. However, when we get more and more mods, it creates more work for us to review, filter, adjust, and optimize these submissions.

We have had multiple meetings over the past year refining and changing how we handle player created content and itís time to do the same for mods like skins, wings, mounts, etc. We are constantly trying to find a balance that allows players to make awesome stuff while still allowing developers to contribute to Trove in the way they were hired to do. Too many factors to check and tweak and suddenly developers become glorified moderators and Trove development canít function well that way.

SO! We have decided on some basic guidelines for mods pretty much exclusively revolving around VFX. There are multiple reasons we are doing these changes that I have communicated throughout the forum in various posts so I will keep this post simple and just have the guidelines.

WINGS

We will no longer be taking new textures along with wing VFX. Optimization is important for us and this is the best way to keep things smooth. Keetsie will, however, be making a library over time of new textures that can be used by you guys.

Mounts and Costumes

We wonít be taking VFX along with mounts and costumes anymore. We will be making the VFX for them in-house. You are more than welcome to make VFX if you feel it will help sell your mod and gain some hype with the player base and we may also use it for inspiration to match your intended idea but we wonít be taking the VFX along with the models.

For existing mods that havenít been accepted yet!

We are still open to them but adjusting them to use only existing textures will GREATLY increase your chances of us picking them up.

I know some of you will feel like this could hinder some of your creativity but adjusting and optimizing player made VFX is too large a time investment for Keetsie. She is amazing at her job though and will do your mods justice, I am 100% confident in that.

Thank you all for understanding and growing with us. Weíve made lots of adjustments to player made content rules over the past year or so and itís all part of the maturing process for us as a team and you as a modding community.

We love everything you guys do and the passion connected to that. Keep it up and as always Iím very excited to see what you create next 

Take care!

-Grump

Great news!

Although I never used new textures in my mods. I always worked with what's given to me.

Looking forward to seeing the new texture library!

Frontier Sheriff| Elysian Alchemist | Pool Boy | The Time Sage | Neon Scientist | Diggsly Driller | Turtleborn | IGN: iStinger

"We won’t be taking VFX along with mounts and costumes anymore. We will be making the VFX for them in-house." Music to my ears

Looking for some clarification. Is slight modification allowed when working with the original texture files for wings? For instance, my Rainbow Wings use the original Mastery wing texture file, but with the pointed tips slightly edited into curves to give more of a peacock feather impression. If layered over each other in Photoshop though, it's obvious they're still the same .dds file. Just wondering if that level of tweaking is allowed or not.
    IGN: Heisenbear : Officer : Moderator on /r/Trove

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenbear View Post
    Looking for some clarification. Is slight modification allowed when working with the original texture files for wings? For instance, my Rainbow Wings use the original Mastery wing texture file, but with the pointed tips slightly edited into curves to give more of a peacock feather impression. If layered over each other in Photoshop though, it's obvious they're still the same .dds file. Just wondering if that level of tweaking is allowed or not.
    What I took out of Grump's post is that they do not accept new textures because they take up too much space.
    Meaning you can only use any of the existing textures files in-game, and manipulate the shape from there in any way you want.
    Meaning your mod download should only have VFX files and 0 .dds files

Frontier Sheriff| Elysian Alchemist | Pool Boy | The Time Sage | Neon Scientist | Diggsly Driller | Turtleborn | IGN: iStinger

It does seem like this would unfortunately shrink a lot of the really creative stuff people were making (but hey, they are mods, we can still make them and use them to play to our hearts content). However, removing the VFX hurdle does seem to open this up significantly as delving into that world was certainly a significant hurdle for many (myself included).

Ironically, the attempt to make their jobs easier seems like in the long run will make it more time-intensive (or perhaps just as much) as modding becomes more accessible to more people.

Wait... VFX...Textures...

That really grinds my gears...

into obsolescence...
    "to be neutral, to be passive in a situation is to collaborate with whatever is going on." - Howard Zinn

...This is some music I made...

Little boxes on the hillside, / Little boxes made of ticky-tacky,
    Little boxes on the hillside...
    Little boxes, all the same...

Milambit23/Lykos23/Milambit - That guy what once roamed the Trove Creations Subreddit
    kak Быль Брat

I'm willing to tone my stuff down for this. It sucks for me, but it's also great to have an explicit line drawn. I trust that whatever is accepted will be done justice! It changes mods into a true 50/50 player/dev creation!

Just as a question however: what if we dont want the mod to be a part of the game and just make them for fun purposes, can we then add custom vfx. Simply said "fun to use mod costumes" and only remove the custom vfx and textures if its a skin you want to have in-game?

+ Reply to Thread