+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: So, you want to talk about PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Walyn View Post
    Yes, yes, PvP is a horrible monstrosity that will magically make people "toxic" and will turn the nice, loving, perfect community of Trove into a horrible machine of hate.

Or maybe correlation doesn't equal causation, and trying to set up a bogeyman only makes things worse.
    No - PVP is not a horrible monstrosity, but the attitude of those who use PVP and carry themselves in a manner that has been displayed across countless games and countless forums and countless chats is.

Trove in general has been a very good community when there was no opportunity for people's desire to overwhelm, belittle, negate, hate, insult, etc. wasn't there. When it was the creative community about building mods, hyping items you liked, building clubs, etc. it was a pretty perfect community by comparison and it is concerning, worrying, and saddening to see what it is extremely quickly turning into with even just the mention the devs are looking at PVP.

That is what we as a whole are upset about along with the stripping of the classes that is sure to come when Knight X can't compete against Pirate Y who doesn't stand a chance against Dracolyte Z, etc.
    Please check out my buy/sell/trade list.
    Lvl 31 (XP level 20) Dracolyte (needs improved gear)
    Lvl 29 (XP level 20) Pirate Captain (needs improved gear)
    Lvl 15 Gunslinger (focused on currently)

Lvl 15 Candy Barbarian (slowly leveling)
    Lvl 11 Neon Ninja (slowly leveling)
    Lvl 10 Ice Sage (slowly leveling)
    Lvl 10 Shadow Hunter (slowly leveling)
    Lvl 10 Knight (slowly leveling)
    Lvl 8 Fae Trickster (slowly leveling)

Quote Originally Posted by BeanitsTV View Post
    All you people saying things like this... Grow the F* up... Seriously. You will cry till the end of the world until its done. Once its done, you wont even care after a few weeks of it being added, and you'll forget about your giant salty hate train you had going on. When ever something is changed, for better or for worse, people act like giant babies and over react to the situation.

You guys need to stop with the whole "Oh, I don't trust you anymore" BS. Regardless if you agree or disagree with it being added, just state your thoughts ON THE SUBJECT, the reasons why, and leave it at that, don't get all "Days of Our Lives" feels over it, dear god.

I feel the addition of PvP adds more replay-ability to the game, as does any form of large-scaled content, even if they are dumb mini games (Although, fun ones are better than dull ones), but hey, i'd just be okay with a basic dueling system. To ensure the happiness other players of Trove (Namely the PvE players), I feel class balance shouldn't be a main concern around these game modes, UNLESS the changes are ONLY under effect while in the game mode (Such as a PvP skillset when in PvP/PvE skill set when you are not in a PvP gamemode). That way both sides are content (Who am I kidding, no one is ever content in a video game)...
    This is a prime example of the type of community we so ardently seek to avoid.

------

Walyn, you have advocated that PvP does not automatically cause toxicity in multiple previous posts, but you are by far the exception to the rule. Most PvP supporters that I have discussed with in this forum and in games/sites beyond Trove, have behaved in an incredibly antagonistic, offensive, or disrespectful/abrasive manner. While you may be able to enjoy PvP without becoming what we fear, the vast majority of supporters and participants are toxic.

Whether this be a result of the PvP atmosphere, or a result of the fact that the types of players that tend to enjoy PvP also tend to have a toxic disposition, is fairly irrelevant. In either case, we face the same problem as a result of PvP entering Trove.

3.   This is the last Trove Team post in this thread.   #213
    Developers

I'm not going to play Trove ever again! Again!

So far, I think everything we have ever tried on this project has been a game ruining thing. I think we have ruined what Trove is with almost every updated now if I check our patch note post history.

We are very aware of what our players want and we would never stray from what Trove is at it's core which should be a sign that we have no desire to make Trove "a pvp game" but we want to give a little something for everyone and make it fun and different from what you normally expect.

We only entered into the idea of PVP if it were something very different from the usual hated by PVE players PVP experience (which personally from our conversations in the office we are doing a good job of and I'm excited)

BUT, like Avarem has said, we want to ease into the idea like an old man into a tub and we wont do something our players dislike in mass. Hang in there with us and I would hold off on the Hateorade production too much until you get a chance to help us shape what this idea could be and then test it out a bit. We love you and we don't want to hurt you!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpntug View Post
    we want to ease into the idea like an old man into a tub
    why? just why?! so many possible metaphors..

Hang in there with us and I would hold off on the Hateorade production too much until you get a chance to help us shape what this idea could be and then test it out a bit.
    I wonder what that tastes like.

But yes, quell all the people getting mad over the notion of pvp before they even get to test it.

I'm looking forward to it at least!

to ease into the idea like an old man into a tub
    Oh my god.. Come on Grump, you could have chosen a better Similie..

This is what caused the great war of Light and Darkness.

But in all seriousness, I think that Trove should innovate and change what people know about PvP. Its simple enough to do it that is in flavor of the game. Working with players rather than free for all destruction.

It should be more about competition instead of just trying to kill eachother.

Race to the End
    Destroy the Base
    Scavanger Hunt
    Survival Island (against increasingly dangerous obstacles)

Along with unique game modes that keep the spirit of the game there should be gear unique to PvP so that they are especially limiting just for game modes. This way classes and environments can be balanced without actually effecting classes at all.

Rewards shouldn't really offer anything unique and just grant the usual gear, resources and exp so it can maybe offer a different way to level up to max. If you provide unique PvP rewards, than it will divide the market. This lets a minority who likes PvP determine prices and sky rocket those item values. They know the players that want the rewards but hate PvP will pay crazy amounts.

Overall, PvP needs to be unique to Trove! Basing victory off of player cooperation and cunning over just killing others fits what Trove has been thus far.

I honestly rather there be unique scenarios to conquer than just trying to defeat others. Trying to get the highest score for a bit more reward, but everyone wins because the quest was complete.
    I quit this game.

I've always liked the fact that this game is against mythodical pvp, cause i can't stand pvp in most games.

However, i've always loved the survival type starting from square one each game like hunger games. So if there's any opportunity to help test this, i would love to have a chance to play it! Really excited to see how this may turn out.
    IGN: RockxHawk | Reddit: RockxHawk | Steam: Rock Hawk | Voxel Busters Officer | Join Voxel Busters

Anyone else remember the alpha bug where we had PvP in the hub? Lol it didn't seem to effect everyone but it was funny killing other players who didn't know they could be killed hahaz

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aetheonus View Post
    Most PvP supporters that I have discussed with in this forum and in games/sites beyond Trove, have behaved in an incredibly antagonistic, offensive, or disrespectful/abrasive manner. While you may be able to enjoy PvP without becoming what we fear, the vast majority of supporters and participants are toxic.

Whether this be a result of the PvP atmosphere, or a result of the fact that the types of players that tend to enjoy PvP also tend to have a toxic disposition, is fairly irrelevant. In either case, we face the same problem as a result of PvP entering Trove.
    You are wrong. In most cases of toxicity in players, it is because of winning being the most important thing (usually because of rankings), and having to rely on teammates that may underperform, thus costing the toxic player his reward for winning based on the teammates' mistakes.

For instance, in League of Legends, it does not matter how good you do - if you win, you go up; if you lose, you go down. Thus, people get very angry when anyone on their side is doing poorly, as it harms their chances of moving up the ladder. If there is such a system in group PvE, people do the same thing. Nobody likes someone holding the group back, but they can become very vicious when someone holds the group back from being considered the best group.

As another point, in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, I find that the amount of toxic players is much lower, as the capacity for players to be able to come back from a disadvantage (such as being the last alive on a team against 2 people) is much higher, and it is not winning that is the end all be all of determining rank - if a player does well in a losing match, they can still rank up (it has happened to me before).

Therefore, PvP is not the cause of toxicity, but instead it is the need to win in order to increase ones rank.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast