+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Idea] Club zone border toggle

Lightbulb [Idea] Club zone border toggle

One of the most frequent complaints I've seen since the game was launched has been that terraformers don't have clear points of application and often wipe out expensive items and/or hard work when used. I suggest adding both a console command (/clubborders 0/1 or similar) and potentially an auto-toggle when a terraformer is hotkeyed that would reveal the borders of the zone/region you're currently in. If the auto-toggle isn't feasible a tip could be shown in the worldspring for how to enable it, at least until a better method is determined. The exact method of that border is up to the devs to determine, I don't know what methods would play nice with this game's renderer, but I'd suggest a translucent wall or wireframe grid at each edge myself.

Adding this would not only provide a good amount of headache relief (I haven't even bothered building in my personal club beyond a fairly low minimum because of this), but also would end -most- of the complaints and requests for repair sent in support tickets (there will always be someone who doesn't read of course).

Don't know if this is what you're referring to, but when you're placing the terraformer there are little indicators that sprout from the ground that show what area is being covered (including the edges of the biomes that you're close to, it's just impossible to see without a friend to tell you where they're popping up since you can't look behind you at the same time).

I know that when I terraformed my club, I had to be super cautious near the edges of some of the biomes where I had already constructed, and utilized a friend to make sure that none of those indicators overlapped/were close to any completed projects. The only reason there can't be defined/strict borders is that the biomes have to connect to one another reasonably, so there will always be some overlap when adding a biome(I'm sure some people have run into the awkward sliced biomes when you place it funkily).

An idea I would throw out is that when terraforming, allow the player to go into a birds-eye view and make the indicators super bright, so that it becomes really obvious which area the terraformer will be covering/if it will eat any items/built projects.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of those. I think one corner of my clubworld is safe at the moment, I may try checking. It would be nice if you didn't have to be wielding potential misery to see them though. If that already exists, just being able to turn it on with /clubborders 1 or whatever would be really damn nice, and should be very simple to implement.

Aye. Luckily you have to be right on the edge of a biome in order to use the terraformer and have to be channeling the terraformer for no small period of time before it will be used. The only reason I can see there not being stricter borders is that you can basically define how much of each biome you want to overlap when using a terraformer, and providing definite boundaries could impede some creative deployment of terraforming.

If you want to add/find me in game, I have a terraformer I could use in a club world to show you how the current indicators work.

Earth, Sol System, Orion Spiral Arm, Milky Way
    Having an actual border toggle so to show the edge of the biome/area would be helpful. Those highlighted edges you mention are only shown when terraforming. I would like to see actual borders of the biome/area.
    For example in case you do not comprehend.
    Terraform 15 areas into a continent but have 1 area set to expert and the others set to basic, where is the edge of the expert area and where is the edge of the basic areas? Would be helpful also to be able to designate an area/biome/zone specifically to a club member rather than everyone being able to build or destroy other's creations when an area is set to basic .

+ Reply to Thread