+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Need for Better Class gems

Lightbulb The Need for Better Class gems

Hello my fellow Trovians!

I feel like trove- at the moment- has very little in terms of truly effective class diversity. The new Delves are dominated by gunslinger, dracolyte, candy barbarian, and dino tamer. The meta is very well understood and is essential to reaching the deepest depths and fastest clear times.

While farming U9 or U10 you dont really feel the level of class imbalance but when you go into the true endgame content, you find that the game is broken down into two groups

-Classes that can
    -Classes that don't

Let me explain. if you are delve digging, there are classes that can do them, which is all of them, but then there are classes you don't or shouldn't use. The content demands a class that can hold up to the task; and while, yes your shadow hunter could be your designated dps... why choose that over a gunslinger? or an ice sage? The answer is that you probably wouldn't.

The best way to fix:
    In my opinion the classes that are not meta have a similar thing in common, A class gem that does nothing for them. Lunar lancers gem ability only can remain alive with the assistance of a chloromancer. Shadow hunters class gem is uninspired and kinda useless, its fun to use but past the novelty, it does the class no favors. This trend goes for many classes, fae trickster, revenant, and knight.

I personally have a lot of ideas to level the dps/tank playing field when it comes to class gems. I will post some of them below, feel free to post your ideas as well.

Not that a dev is gonna read this post- but hey if you wanna see change then try right?

Lunar Lancer Class gem- Moon-it-Man
    The current Lancer class gem feels kind of whatever so I would like to change it. Not even use brand new mechanics, just use in-game mechanics to assist the second lowest DPS class in the game at the moment.

Lancer has a theme of opportunistic DPS with his passive of Lunacy, but with the trigger being inconsistent and hard to actually play around, we can make it better by the class gem adding 3 thing: The passive triggers the moment you enter combat with an elite enemy, during lunacy you gain an additional 50 energy regeneration, and during lunacy your Crescent Combo ability would benefit from attack speed. The cool-down of Lunacy would become 5 seconds outside of combat. "Combat" being dealing OR receiving damage.

The play-style here is interesting as for 6 seconds your character has VERY strong DPS, triggering once per dungeon, allowing you to feel the power of your lunacy consistently instead of after you killed the chest for move-speed. In delves, it provides interesting gameplay because if you have the standard DPS/Tank setup, your tank would take the aggro and your Lancer would go in, deal their damage, then back out to get a re-trigger of lunacy.
    Pros:
    more consistent passive for better overall class feel
    more competitive DPS in delves and shadow tower
    interesting play-style unique to lancer
    Cons:
    may make leveling easier or too easy as lunacy would trigger always
    cool-down seems short and may be overturned for uber grinding

Shadow Hunter Class gem-
    (Please excuse me not posting in a while)

Shadow Hunter is among the lowest DPS classes in the game. Loved by many , his class gem fulfills all but one major issue. It's fun, adds to his play style, and differentiates him from the other class as "the minigun" though it is outperformed as far as other class gems like Ice sage and Gunslinger whose class gem literally carries the show. I feel like there could be an interesting interaction- maybe consecutive hits would ramp the damage of his next auto attacks in addition to the current benefits. Each consecutive hit could increase the damage of the next hit by 1% up to 300% damage. the buff lasts for one second, not attacking or missing attacks for one second will reset the bonus.

The math works out to around 20 seconds to fully stack this damage bringing him closer to DPS with the higher tier classes. Not only does the DPS get better, but an even more rewarding play style for controlling the ridiculous bullet hose he has.

A simple change, but good for everyone.

Pros-
    More rewarding play
    More viable DPS
    No fundamental gameplay change

Cons-
    Could make other abilities have a downside for casting as it may reset your scaling.
    Could make class more boring as player might ignore using their other abilities

I personally think his charge shot should create the buff of 300% dmg bonus instead, to give him a damage rotation beyond just holding down M1 for basic attack, which is what it already is despite the weak dps. Still, good suggestion for SH.

The class gems only modify one ability... and I know I'm kind of cheating because on my Lancer recommendation I suggested that the gem would modify the passive, modifying the crescent combo... though I love that and would give SH a reason to use more then just M1s, I think that keeping it within normal class gem makes it more attractive for devs? my thought at least.

Fae Trickster-
    Current Fae Trickster is good at uber farming, as they can hit numbers the game cannot even fully register... However they still lack in DPS comparatively to the gunslinger. As the alternative glass cannon DPS class, I thought that maybe a full commitment to the "Burst DPS" archetype could do the class some good. The gem would augment M1 instead of passive, the new M1 would only have base attack speed (1.25) and any attack speed would turn into a damage modifier. Thus if you had 50% critical damage, 1000 base damage attack, and 300% attack speed, your critical attack would deal 6000 damage! While this may seem overkill, though if you only had <300% attack speed it would not increase your damage at all. However, when combo'd with the correct subclass and party composition your attack speed modifier would increase by more then 300% giving you on par DPS to a gunslinger with similar build.

Pros:
    Fun, High burst big number play-style.
    More competitive DPS class.
    High risk, high reward style of play (only getting one hit).

Cons:
    Maybe could be to powerful w/ stacking candy barbarian ultimates.
    Could feel more clunky overall to a class that already has little flow to their kit.

+ Reply to Thread