+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Delves Update: First Week Impressions

Post Delves Update: First Week Impressions

The Delves:

Very enjoyable and rewarding, But plagued by a handful of issues.

Cosmetically, your eyes get bored fairly quickly, there's not enough mob variety and cave tile variety (not biome variety) to keep the delves visually interesting.

Mechanically, Public and private delves' depth tailoring could do with a small reduction so players start at a lower depth than they do now, allowing for longer runs before hitting a wall having to return to the hub/club. this would also allow for players with more sub-optimal builds for their power rank enjoy the delves more.

Challenge delves being locked to your currently reached depth or 110 (depending on which portal you use) Makes sense in the context of the leaderboards, but severely hurts accessibility for everyone not specifically looking to compete on the leaderboard. I would strongly suggest finding some way to add a full depth selector (up to a player's highest cleared floor that week) to challenge delves, and potentially also to private delves. This would also massively alleviate the insane RNG currently tied to Mementoes.

The merchant that trades inert geodes for caches needs to be guaranteed to spawn every floor, or have a fail-safe that prevents going on dry streaks without him spawning. (example: 10 floors max)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geode Modules:

Pathpainter: No major complaints, but would like to see the area painted be a 3x3 instead of a single block.

Vaca-matic: No major complaints, could do with a tiny duration increase.

Grappling Hook: Is currently not worth considering whatsoever for delves, The small synergy it has with the Vaca-matic comes at the cost of actually using the vacuum for the purpose of recharging your grapple and not to round up enemies, which is in almost all cases a massive waste. The mobility of the grapple itself is also close to worthless given players have access to mounts and the jump stat. I'm not sure how either of these problems could be improven upon, but i wanted to mention them regardless. It seems likely that the hook wasn't intended to be used in delves at all and that's an understandable design choice, if that's the case.

Barrier Generator: The damage reduction is too low to make an impact, this may be a side effect of a meta that's been built up around death-defying vial and unyielding emblem completely eliminating any hopes of valuable tanking and support roles, something i'd love to talk about in depth, but for this thread, with accounting for a meta that abuses death-defying as much as it is, the barrier's damage reduction shouldn't be in the 15-35% range, but closer to the 60-80% range, this is a major opportunity to allow melee classes into the endgame.

Shadow Towers:

It seems removing the tower floors has indeed had a positive effect on general server lag, which is great! I'm glad a leap was taken to try and eliminate a prime source of lag and it worked out, and hey, if it messes with botters in the process. that's just another win for legitimate players.

Shadow towers is content we've had to deal with for years and i'm honestly over it, a new experience was needed and delves is an adequate substitute.

It would appear however, that shadow tower boss mounts are currently unobtainable, both from delves and from the towers, atleast i've seen zero reports of any mount drops thus far, and i monitor pretty much every major community. Please test in-house if these are actually dropping and if they're supposed to drop in shadow towers or delves (or both).

Mastery:

The cap did its job, perpetual stat gain was stopped dead in its tracks, which is a great return to the original design philosophy behind giving mastery stats, when the cap was 300.
    The post 500 amendments however are too measly to even be worth an afterthought, I'd like to see the magic find gain per rank be increased from 1 to 10 or 20.

Tomb Raiser:

Can now compete dps wise with the great damage classes, once you get all your minions going. Which is the issue. your minions are so incredibly fragile in combat that you barely have time to create all your skelittles before they start dying, you're discouraged from possessing them because it causes them to take double damage, dying even faster. Keeping your skelittles alive shouldn't be this difficult. I won't go suggesting fixes here as i think discussing the rework in depth deserves its own thread. That is my only major complaint however.

Class Contests:

A long awaited change, definitely way later than it should have been. Infact, i think we've had to deal with the power rank based ones for so long that the playerbase has become complaisant about them, which is why many now view the effort based contests as a negative change. I will re-iterate that perpetually being rewarded for long-past exploits is unfun game design for everyone not part of that exclusive club, it was the exact reason the rewards were taken off the mastery contest and is the exact reason they've now been taken off the power rank contests.

Point balance between the different categories seems fine, Although i'm not sure why destroying blocks and harvesting/watering plants give effort points as they don't actually relate to using the parts of the class that make up the class (abilities). However i could see them being there to allow players to gain progress no matter what they're doing, and that's fine too.

I think the rewards should have been increased too, going from "free stuff on login every week" to "having to play a certain class for a non-trivial amount of time" is definitely a downgrade and the main way you would compensate for that is to increase the rewards.

Thank you for reading.
    IGN: Chronozilla | Total Mastery: TBA | Total Power Rank: TBA | Alpha Conqueror | Gem Augment Info | Companion Egg Issue | Trove Support
    LEGIT Heart-a-Phones Received: 703 | Heart-a-Phones Sent: 687| Fish Caught: 31,208 | Trovesaurus | Geode Master Sheet | Notes for Returning Players
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasti View Post
    Thanks for saving my bacon, Chronozilla.

I dont agree with the pr leaderboards/class pr leaderboards. I spent alot of time to get flux and gem dust to get all my characters basically top 25. Now a person can just do a coin challenge and get the rewards? People had 3 years to level there gems. I'm ps4 530k total pr and now I have I have to do coin challenge or grind with my chloro to get leaderboards rewards. I haven't done a coin challenge in over a year. Some of these updates are crazy

Quote Originally Posted by awunn View Post
    I dont agree with the pr leaderboards/class pr leaderboards. I spent alot of time to get flux and gem dust to get all my characters basically top 25. Now a person can just do a coin challenge and get the rewards? People had 3 years to level there gems. I'm ps4 530k total pr and now I have I have to do coin challenge or grind with my chloro to get leaderboards rewards. I haven't done a coin challenge in over a year. Some of these updates are crazy
    Yeah, the class contest changes should have happened 3 years ago alongside the mastery contest change, but it was just never a high enough priority for the amount of work it involved (until now), that 3 year delay has made the community react to it in the way i wrote in the OP here:

Quote Originally Posted by Chronozilla View Post
    definitely way later than it should have been. Infact, i think we've had to deal with the power rank based ones for so long that the playerbase has become complaisant about them, which is why many now view the effort based contests as a negative change.
    IGN: Chronozilla | Total Mastery: TBA | Total Power Rank: TBA | Alpha Conqueror | Gem Augment Info | Companion Egg Issue | Trove Support
    LEGIT Heart-a-Phones Received: 703 | Heart-a-Phones Sent: 687| Fish Caught: 31,208 | Trovesaurus | Geode Master Sheet | Notes for Returning Players
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasti View Post
    Thanks for saving my bacon, Chronozilla.

Thumbs up Personally don't agree with class leaderboards right now...

Personally I just don't like how class leaderboards force you to play a certain class to get the rewards. That's not to say rewards should be given out freely though, but slogging through challenges, dungeons, etc. is just annoying if it's a class you just don't enjoy playing. If it was more like a fall off system where you still get points, just at a majorly reduced rate for not playing the right class, then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

In my opinion, I think it should have both a point requirement and a power rank requirement. And if you're not using the right class even challenges will only raise the score by a barely noticeable amount. But at least you wouldn't be locked out of the rewards for avoiding something you just don't find fun, which is kind of the point of a game. To have fun.

The current contests as of the time of writing are for Lunar Lancer, Candy Barbarian, and Dracolyte. I can have some fun with Dracolyte, I definitely find the class enjoyable. Lunar Lancer and Candy Barbarian though? Not really. I kinda detest playing both of those classes. I just don't find either of them fun. Guess I'm gonna miss out on 8 Empowered Boxes this week. At least we get Lunar Souls in full now regardless of Patron. Gonna be using lots of those to get Empowered Boxes now...

Well that's enough of my thoughts on the matter. Just wanted to leave my opinion on the current changes to leaderboards.
    IGN: Hyperiem |Main Club: Empyrium | Main Classes: Revenant / Vanguardian - Power Rank: +33K / +33K | Total Mastery: +600 | Total Hours: +2400

R.A.F. - Eager to jump into Trove? New users can hit this link to get a head start! https://trovelive.trionworlds.com/ac...experience=aaf

I have just recently returned after a couple of years away. Gotta say, I am loving the game again, and am investing in Trove's further success.

A couple of things regarding some of the recent changes, in relation to comments above:

One of my biggest gripes regarding previous class and mastery leaderboards was that all you had to do every week, if you already had a leveled character, was..nothing. You just logged in, and won. THANK YOU FOR MAKING CHANGES IN THIS REGARD. It took a while, but now it is much more fair.

I am finding the delves to be challenging, but it is new content. Heck, Geode is new for me as well as I left before it was launched. Some catching up to do for sure. That said, as noted above, it is visually quite monotonous and can be disorienting. I find that I don't want to spend a lot of time there, and go back to the old atlas worlds as they are more interesting and fun (for me).

One more thing, because it was mentioned: I really enjoy necro classes in the games that I play. I feel very positive improvement have been made to the Tomb Raiser. It isn't such a pain to gather souls and summon with the new system. But, as has been said, the skellies are very squishy. Maybe too squishy. Perhaps scale them off the caster's health for a percentage?

All in all, very positive changes to the game. I have been spending a LOT of time playing, which for me is a really good sign that I am enjoying the content and having fun. Thanks devs!

Would have to agree with awunn, why even change it now? You can make dark vaults now an are pins even worth it now of days? The only thing worth wild for the weekly pr leardboard was 5k and lower for emp gems an bound brilliance. The 250+ reward is just bad an vaults are easier to make.

Now low pr people have to work even harder for things they need most being emp gems an bound an with things being in delves to some players that's even HARDER now.

Overall, this is a very nice update. Though it definitely has some stuffs needed to be improved.

1) Delves' lacking of variety of objectives: So far, clear x number of mobs and x number of monoliths are the most frequent objectives. And so far, very rarely, I see clear x number of certain mobs and mining ores objectives. It becomes quite repetitive and boring after awhile with just 2 prominent objectives. Other objectives should appear more frequently, and more different objectives should be added in the future, such as collect crystals, defeat elites, crafting, donating, etc.

2) Delves's Gladiator modifier OPness: This modifier seems to beef up mobs/bosses way too much comparing to magical/physical resistance or shielding. And if Gladiator + tenebous modifiers combo appears, it is most likely players will almost certainly fail to beat the objective/boss in time.

3) TR rework needs some further touch ups: Like mentioned above, TR's skelittles are way too fragile, especially in possessed mode and against Damage over time attacks (lava floor, poison cloud, fire skin, etc). The damage buff while in possessed state is not even that much to justify the extra damage taken. TR players should not be punished for trying to ramp up their dps, it is just unfair for the class. Skelittles needs to be more resilient against Damage over time effect and either the extra dmg taken is removed or the damage buff is significantly increased, like 2 or 3 times than the current one.

Another issue is the class gem Banshee, since its duration is so short, the damage part becomes very diminished. I suggest to add AoE explosion effect when the banshee expires to compensate for the short duration.

4) Vaca-matic module: there is no companion to modify it like other modules, it just makes the game feel inconsistent. Maybe add eggs of new type of companion to inert geode merchants would help (100 for bronze, 300 for silver and 600 for gold egg).

5) Where is the new TR costume from the trailer????

6) D4 crafting price seems too pricy for its strength, maybe the flux cost should be lowered to 50.

7) The ER from craftable banner is just too low, 10 ER at the highest rarity is just disappointed. It should be 50/60/70/80/100.

8) The flame color of the modded torch does not match with its rarity. So far, the flame colors are blue for rare, purple for epic, orange for legendary, so it should be white for radiant. This is just for the game consistency.

9) The biggest elephant in the room is people keep "room looping" challenges, which seems to be the main cause of overloaded server issue recently.

My impression is not so good like other's, sorry for that:
    -Lags did not gone, absent bosses, not loaded chunks, rubberbanding is still here, sometimes I can not destroy chest due to not registered hits
    -Annoying bugs, and especially corrupted sound makes me mad
    -Delves are not balanced, 13x can be much harder than 14x
    -Tons of useless items
    -Tons of 0.00001% drop just to keep us grinding
    -Repeatable gameplay without good rewards
    -Narrow caves are visually hard to play, especially in combination with lags
    -Delves and Geode caves use same set of modules, but different buttons - just dumb
    -What was wrong to respawn at starting point

But who cares...
    Free Class Coin for Mastery Below 20 - Refer-A-Friend Code

I actually would wanted to write a post regarding on this, but I dunno how to write it in an okay manner.
    Most of what Chrono said are what I wanted to say.

Here are something I want to complain first:

(A) Class Leaderboard Change
    I read along the thread and I saw someone said Trovian have to play x class in order to get reward. However, as what written in Patch Note, Hourly Challenge gives the most. So instead of using Lunar Lancer to grind low depth Delves or deungeoning, just keep participating in Hourly, which gives around 30 points... ...

Since Hourly Challenge don't require a good class skill except dodge behavior and attack frequency in Rampage, I don't see any point of complaining.
    However, not the 30k+ PR part... ... Need a both point and PR system.
    Despite I don't agree that the system is perfect, I also don't expect another mess up...

Also, makes all Empowered Gem box stop spawning 2 starting stats gem. Imagine a new Trovian bought daily Cosmic Gem Deal and opened 2 starting stats Flower Power, then maxed it including using Focus simply bcs it is their first IAP... ...
    Fixing this also fixing the "lack of reward" from effort based class leaderboard.

(B) Delves is Fun but
    1) I see too much Monolith.

2) Public Delves always ended up with a heartwarming Gladiator welcoming: https://twitter.com/PichuYang/status...158514176?s=20
    (PS: I met this again this Monday and I laughed among ourselves where "this is actually impossible".)
    Then a lot of new Trovian comes complain me on either Crystal (which is easy) or Shadow Shard cost. I don't find Shadow Shard farming will be too hard during Monday thanks to vacuum, however as what OP said, considering tweaking Public/Private Delves and Vacuum module.

3) I dislike the boss generation except playing disaster Private or Public because Challenge Delves weekly generation can be really bad and only spamming Weeping Prophet, like this week. Why I want say this? Because of boss exclusive mounts are what I really wanted to hunt.

4) Quality > Quantity, such as the amount of craftable Light Banners. Only 5 are ever useful. I won't disagree if new Trovian go craft Jump based Banner, but Flask Capacity + (AS, MS) are the only useful ones. 10 ER is too less especially the "jump to pause ER" part, and Delves have tons of stairs.

Then this lol, will there be an update where we can use these as pure material and merge with Going Green Food for quality Food?

5) The only reason I spend Inert is to stockpile Delver's Cache for Box Contest:

6) End game community accept Magic Class for DPS more than Physical class in high depth run. I would suggest focus on other aspects before performing another class tweak.

Now to the good news:

(A) 10 MS Boost Meta

This movement speed boost made Dracolyte powerful Light rip + Ulti spam speedfarming viable in Topside. Just need to switch CH Weapon to MF Weapon, ER Ring to MF Ring xD.

(B) Leviathan is more fun to Raid
    Because majority of decent Trovians have massive Light boost from multiple sources, finding a group is easier than before. Plus, no more leechers who aren't supposed to face Leviathan raid but leeching for a not so useful torch, or alternate mount farmer accounts.

Thumbs up for that.

(C) Delves is actually straightforward and fun
    Killing get inert; finishing get Foods poles, standard; 3rd Depth gives weekly souls, Shadow and Delver's Caches.
    It isn't a really complicated mechanic and even new Trovians can access to Salt Seekers rare ally instead of buying expensive Rapt Beserker.

Just hop in killing and pray to meet ST boss for new mounts, possibly lucky C4 from Depth 115+:

(D) Teach new Trovians to stop waiting the rabbit coming out from hole for a food
    Even they can help while I am running a carry by rushing to the boss room while I am focusing on main objective.

+ Reply to Thread