Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problems and suggestion for mastery-damage cap

Problems and suggestion for mastery-damage cap

The Current Problem:
    From my understanding, the current push to cap damage at a certain mastery rank is so that newer players are not so demotivated to play as they start to realise just how much work and time is required to reach maximum amount of power or even close to it.
    And of course this problem will just keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger as more content is released which increases the mastery cap.
    This issue in turn causes dilemmas on the difficulty level of new updates, if they are made so that those with the highest mastery have difficulty completing the updates, then newer players to mid-game players have almost no hope of even trying out the new updates. (Especially if the mastery cap was at a point like 1000 and half of that mastery isn't even obtainable at all times). If the update is made to simple then high mastery rank players will complain it was too easy and want more content.

The problem with the current solution:
    Once a player hits the mastery rank of 500 there will be basically nothing to motivate them to push to go for a higher mastery rank, they will basically be at end game. And with the current time length in between updates this will inevitably cause many of the players to shortly quit after reaching mastery 500 which will reduce overall revenue.
    Another Problem is that the majority of the current end game player base feel like that all their effort and money (especially if they spent 1k just for the badge) will become somewhat worthless after this update, especially for those that pushed just to be able to get into the DOTM speed-running competition.

My Suggestion: (Feel free to improve or suggest your own alternatives)
    My suggestion (on top of the current patch details about capping mastery related dmg to 500 or 200) would be to add further rewards to the overall mastery rank leader-boards (other than the orange name).
    This reward could be score ranking based and provide additional damage for the week.
    An example: (these figures are just for illustration purposes)
    Rank 5000+ =3% extra dmg
    Rank 2500+ =6% extra dmg
    Rank 1000+ =10% extra dmg
    Rank 10+ =15%extra dmg
    Those increases in damage are rather small compared to the current system and will reward those who put in the extra effort and money while also keeping the damage balance for new to mid-game players.
    This will imo keep motivation in the game for players past mastery 500 as well as not demotivate newer to mid-game players from progressing as their damage would still be comparatively high. This also removes the issue of having a larger and larger damage separation as mastery increases.
    This could be implemented with current mechanics such as the use of food, food that dies out within a week that grants extra damage that is given out through the weekly contest.

Also to keep motivation high, especially for players who reach mastery 500, I would suggest not removing the current DOTM speed-running aspect of the game. I know many people who were new to mid-game that got to end game rather fast because of there motivation to speed run. I believe this aspect is rather crucial to keep players motivated in the game and for them to reach much further than 500 mastery.
    Keeping players for longer will also increase revenue which will in turn increase the life of the game and keep more updates coming.

That's my suggestion to the current problem, just wanted to hear what others think about this solution

If you do prefer this alternative over to the current solution (that is having a cap on mastery 500), please do post something showing your support, with enough support behind this, I'm sure we can get the developers to consider it.

EDIT
    Just to clear up some details I did not make clear:
    -Those figures above are just for illustration purposes of the example. They were made up on the spot. The proper figures would need to be planned out and balanced properly of course.
    -Unlike how the current weekly systems run, for this leader-board, players will not receive all the rewards of ranks below them, only the rewards for the rank they are in, so the overall extra amount of damage leader-boards will bring is only 15%(according to the figures in my example).

I love this
    IGN: TectonicRift
    Languages: Spanish, English

I'm just here to pipe in that I agree sr should stay. I am currently 3gem rerolls to being sr ready and it has been a real struggle to get to this point, which I enjoyed. But removing not only sr but also taking away mastery cap just kills the game for me. I'm 672mr atm. I have spent a lot of money to get to this point. So now they are telling me that was a waste? I just threw my money away? I do want to try out the delves, but I assume they will be just as disappointing as the Levi's. If I have nothing to do but delves, to collect things that dont matter to my rank, what's the point? I know several that are dead serious in saying they are quitting. I completely understand why...

While I do support this idea, I would really like to see them add non-combat stats per mastery rank after their proposed cutoff, magic find, movement speed, chaos factor, lasermancy, adventurine gain, whatever the heck. Especially if they keep the 1 PR per MR it would make sense to keep rewarding some kind of improvement of your stats.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxJoose_BocksxXx View Post
    I'm just here to pipe in that I agree sr should stay. I am currently 3gem rerolls to being sr ready and it has been a real struggle to get to this point, which I enjoyed. But removing not only sr but also taking away mastery cap just kills the game for me. I'm 672mr atm. I have spent a lot of money to get to this point. So now they are telling me that was a waste? I just threw my money away? I do want to try out the delves, but I assume they will be just as disappointing as the Levi's. If I have nothing to do but delves, to collect things that dont matter to my rank, what's the point? I know several that are dead serious in saying they are quitting. I completely understand why...
    Trust me, I get where your coming from. I myself am ranked one on mastery leader-boards, I have spent insane amount of time and money on this game.
    However the reality is that the current system is just not feasible, it is demotivating for new players and most updates (especially in the future as mastery is increased) can only be enjoyed by end game players.
    You have to remember that Gamigo is a company, and as all companies, their main objective is to provide a maximum return to their shareholders in the long run.
    A system where new players are continually entering the game and progressing to end game is much more profitable then just having the current player base decaying with not many new players staying.

This is why I came up with this compromise, this way new players can enter and progress as they don't feel demotivated by the climb and the current end game players aren't just pushed to the side.
    Another solution that I've seen someone else post is to keep the current system where each mastery rank grants damage but to alter it to follow a logarithmic path, which is a valid solution (although I guess at some point the difference will start getting so small that it may start to get demotivating for players to continue the grind).

I agree with everything you said Youssef. Thank you. But about dmg rewards from the mastery leaderboard, I think top10 for +15% dmg is too much, I think it should be at least top200. There is not a very big difference in mastery between top200 and top1 anyway. Also, if receiving the dmg reward in shape of food that grants dmg, devs should keep in mind to make the food not disappear after unequipping it.

Giving player 15% more damage for spending more money than someone else is bad design and just makes this problem worse lol that is like giving somebody an extra empowered gem slot for being top 10 in mastery

Like i said above, those numbers are just for illustration purposes of the example, they were just made up on the spot completely randomly. They will of course need to be thought out properly with appropriate balances (such as making it top 200 and not top 10 for a 15% bonus in damage).

Quote Originally Posted by not tdn3000 View Post
    Giving player 15% more damage for spending more money than someone else is bad design and just makes this problem worse lol that is like giving somebody an extra empowered gem slot for being top 10 in mastery
    Ok, so if we are to look at my example with my made up rough figures, free to play players can get in the top 1000 rank which would respond to a +10% damage. For those who do pay and do that extra grind and are in the top 10 rank, they would end up getting a +15% damage. This would mean that the difference in damage would only be 5%. (again, this would need to be balanced properly)
    Im gonna edit my post above because I can see how I did not make it clear that the rewards for each rank does not include the rewards of the previous ranks as well (unlike how the current weekly reward systems are).

Quote Originally Posted by Youssef View Post
    This would mean that the difference in damage would only be 5%.
    Actually, we need to see the differences in coefficient to be able to understand what difference 10% and 15% bonuses would have. Maximum coefficient for a GS after this update is about 9.087 million. The +10% dmg boost, which would make up +145% md bonus in total, sets GS's coefficient to 9.474 million, and with +15% dmg boost its 9.667 million. Difference in both of those is a bit higher than 2 percent. No matter the stats (base md, cd and ch), it's always going to be a 2.04% difference in damage between +10% dmg bonus and +15% dmg bonus.

Killing your endgame an making people who have spent years playing quit, not just the p2w but the f2p endgame quit aswell. Pushing aside people who payed. What about the people who put in the grind to actually grind an played the game hardcore.

Those people dont matter, focus on the people who are coming into the game an just quiting most likely bcuz trove grind is different an to literally all my friends in real life BORING. Mastery is a huge goal an what give this game years of midgame play. I have seen to many top players say they are legitly thinking of quiting if this mastery thing go through.

Trove is going to be a bloodbath if it goes through.. huge misplay with the new consoles an new reason to quit after the update. As a top 5 club owner, its extremely worrying knowing so many are just going to leave an even I have thought about it bcuz this update is just going to suck.. delve seem cool an I understand shadow tower need to be lessen by alot but I dont see any plus side to the mastery cap. People arent staying with trove bcuz early game is boring alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast