+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Tutorial] Using Meshes in PopcornFX with Trove

[Tutorial] Using Meshes in PopcornFX with Trove

UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE!!!
    Skip the Blender portion of the tutorial and export straight to .fbx in qubicle 2.0! It has been updated as of 5/12/2015 to export directly to .fbx format! Huzzah!!

also a lot of stuff in this tutorial is now obsolete. Look forward to more info in the Comprehensive Modding Tutorial

Greetings!

For the past few weeks I've been tinkering, pondering, and struggling with PopcornFX on finding an optimal and streamline method of making something in Qubicle and implementing it directly in Popcorn.

Well... As of a few days ago the .dae/Collada export tool of qubicle 2.0 is rather... excellent.
    (Note: You'll probably be able to skip the Blender steps when Qubicle 2.0 exports directly to .fbx in the next few upcoming updates).

So, since I struggled with learning some of this stuff, I've decided to put together this guide with my recent findings in PopcornFX.

So...Uhh... Let's begin!

Required:
    Qubicle 2.0 (Or equivalent .qb to .dae/.obj/etc./exporter)
    Blender
    PopcornFX
    Trove Mod Loader

Make/Find/Do Something in Qubicle 2.0 and then export it...

(Using settings like these...)

Import it through Blender...

The next process involved double-checking the vertices:

At this point you can export it from Blender as a .fbx file.
    ...Now open up popcorn and your Trove relevant project.

Then do this:

Now open it up and "build" it in popcorn by double clicking:

Make sure your diffuse texture is changed or included:

You're almost done...

A few notes from Ocgineer:
    Quote Originally Posted by Creator, Builder, Streamer, Ocgineer
    You can set the origin of the the DAE export (Qubicle 2) with:
    - select the matrix
    - Modify > Export Pivot
    - If you want to see the pivot click the small cogwheel top-right and mark "Mesh Export Pivots".

When exporting with the correct Pivot go in the matrix and use Export > DAE.
    I had trouble with wrong pivots when doing Export Selection > DAE.

^^ This all could be done in Blender as well but this is easier if you have QB2 ^^

When you want to update the mesh (rebuild) make sure to delete the generated texture png file in /textures/meshes as well, else it will hang when building assets.

You can also just remove or leave out the png file as it doesn't have to be used. See the skull and dancepad.
    They both reference to a .png file that is nowhere to be found, instead it will default back to the EmissionMap.
    By doing this you can set the color in the spawner script or CParticleEvolver_Field instead of using static colors from the texture file.
    THANKS OCGINEER!!

A few small examples of the possibilities:

http://i.imgur.com/ArOoQWf.png

http://i.imgur.com/FfmnkCv.gif

http://i.imgur.com/oXwEO6j.gif

...My blog...

Life's a game, Life's a joke,
    F*** it! Why not go for broke?
    Trade in all your chips and learn how to be free...
    Why abstain, why jump in line? We're all living on borrowed time.
    So do what you like and we'll like what you do when you do it
    And if they don't that's fine, f***'em.

Milambit23/Milambits the Drained, Seer of Stars - That guy what once roamed the Trove Creations Subreddit

Nice guide! I got a question though. How did you obtain the PNG file you use for your diffuse texture?

Frontier Sheriff| Elysian Alchemist | Pool Boy | The Time Sage | Neon Scientist | Diggsly Driller | Turtleborn | IGN: iStinger

So you're telling me that with this we can make voxel objects that appear when a character effect activates?
    I quit this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Nice guide! I got a question though. How did you obtain the PNG file you use for your diffuse texture?
    Thank you.

The pngs were automatically created upon export in blender ^_^

...My blog...

Milambit23/Milambits the Drained, Seer of Stars - That guy what once roamed the Trove Creations Subreddit

Quote Originally Posted by Eloc Freidon View Post
    So you're telling me that with this we can make voxel objects that appear when a character effect activates?
    Basically any popcorn effect in the game aside from certain limitations I think.

...My blog...

Quote Originally Posted by Milambit View Post
    Basically any popcorn effect in the game aside from certain limitations I think.
    Oh I found. Thanks!

Sorry another question... after getting the pckf file how do you import it into a pfx effect? I assume it is now a mesh object?

Frontier Sheriff| Elysian Alchemist | Pool Boy | The Time Sage | Neon Scientist | Diggsly Driller | Turtleborn | IGN: iStinger

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Oh I found. Thanks!

Sorry another question... after getting the pckf file how do you import it into a pfx effect? I assume it is now a mesh object?
    Ah, I forgot to add that part... xD

You basically add it the same way you would for a texture file, additive or solid with different variables reflecting its orientation and color. For most meshes I would recommend one of the VFX_Square* .dds textures to use as the mesh diffuse.

Under Renderer if you right click and go to the "Add" section, you'll find "ParticleRenderer_Mesh". If you're replacing a texture rather than swapping meshes then I would recommend removing the "Size" line from the spawner script and particle evolver script as the mesh deals with Scale rather than Size, though you can redefine the variable.

Hope that helps ^^;

...My blog...

Quote Originally Posted by Milambit View Post
    Ah, I forgot to add that part... xD

You basically add it the same way you would for a texture file, additive or solid with different variables reflecting its orientation and color. For most meshes I would recommend one of the VFX_Square* .dds textures to use as the mesh diffuse.

Under Renderer if you right click and go to the "Add" section, you'll find "ParticleRenderer_Mesh". If you're replacing a texture rather than swapping meshes then I would recommend removing the "Size" line from the spawner script and particle evolver script as the mesh deals with Scale rather than Size, though you can redefine the variable.

Hope that helps ^^;
    Oh I see. This may be useful in the future. Thanks for creating this guide =p

Great guide! Hopefully this and some of the other VFX guides can get stickies so they're easier for folks to find

Edit: For those who use Zoxel, you can also save in OBJ format, and import into Blender.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIgmo View Post
    Great guide! Hopefully this and some of the other VFX guides can get stickies so they're easier for folks to find

Edit: For those who use Zoxel, you can also save in OBJ format, and import into Blender.
    Thanks! That would be pretty cool to have these references a little more readily available. I'll have to polish it up a bit and add a small FAQ at some point.

As for Zoxel... Sadly I can't get Zoxel to export without lots and lots of "triangles". There's a lot of reasons why that is not desirable, but before I elaborate I'll just note that the same heart model exported through Zoxel is over 50kb as opposed to 17kb in the optimized collada export. That may seem like absolutely nothing, but this is for a very basic model and this is a 100% increase in file size which quickly adds up.

Using the optimized Zoxel fork (5.10) exporting to .obj still results in a 50kb file while exporting to a collada is 17kb. The similar Qubicle 2 export to .obj also results in a 17kb file. Converting either to .fbx doubles its size to 34kb.

So... Sadly the only efficient options I'm aware of are either creating a model in blender using an existing trove mesh to replicate the voxel-ness or exporting through an up-to-date MindDesk software (I used Qubicle 2.0.15 in the tut). I love Zoxel, but I can't recommend it for this particular task without manually editing the vertices.

EDIT:
    Not sure how well this works, but it may be good to use Zoxel as an exporter if you click modifiers in Blender, choose "Remesh", change it to "Blocks", and play with the size you may be able to "optimize" the mesh, but I haven't thoroughly tested this.

...My blog...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast