+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A question from a computer idiot

A question from a computer idiot

This is an old laptop (acer s13),my son and I like using it to play games, and it works at least 10 hours a day.I recently tried to clean up this laptop, which I haven't done since I got it, i uninstalled some minor software, and wiped up the browser's access records and cookies.What else needs to be done?

You could Defragment your hard drive. You could also install something along the lines of ccleaner to assist with cleanup.

You should definitely make sure you keep your antivirus up to date and if you don't have one you can find free ones that are decent. Some antivirus programs have tools to help you maintain/clean your computer, you might also look within your existing antivirus if you have one.

That's about all I could think of right now, hope it helps.

Don't defrag a SSD harddrive. Since it's an old laptop, chances are you don't have an SSD harddrive, but just be careful

Many programs tend to configure themselves in such a way that they will be started when you start up your computer. When you install more and more programs, this leads to more and more things that are started when you start your computer, making the startup slower and slower. This is especially annpoying for programs which for instance you use once per week, but will start up everytime your computer starts, the resources are wasted because you're not even using that program.
    Assuming you're using Windows:
    You can probably find some place to tweak some things that start when your computer starts up. But many programs try to stay hidden so it's gets harder to stop them from auto starting. In that case you might resort to using a set of tools which can help you further.
    For windows there's a set of tools called "sysinternals" which can help you do a lot of things if you know what you're doing. For example, it has a program called "Autoruns" (need to run as administrator). If you run that, it'll give you an overview of all the things that are starting automatically on Windows startup. It also offers a neat checkbox to turn the auto starting off for each separate entry. But be carefull! I guess if you turn off the wrong things (things that Windows needs), then you could potentially break your computer. So either only fiddle with things which you recognise, or google stuff thouroughly before you switch it off.
    For example, I turned off some daily updaters, Skype, Microsoft One Drive, Steam, etc.

Again: be carefull what you're turning off. Turning off updaters might mean you become more vulnerable to exploits etc. But in my experience, old computers/laptop accumulate a lot of auto startup things from programs which you might not have used for years.

Its probably just overheating. Your best bet is to elevate it so the bottom gets airflow and get a medium sized fan to blow on it while its in use.

IGN: SummerHaas Discord: Summer#9392 Laezaria Leadership Team
    Chaos Chests & Other Useful Info | Crystal Gear Stats | Forging Calculator | Tomes Calculator | YouTube | Trovesaurus Profile
    Free Class Coin for new players Enter code: D2Z7K6TQX6ZE3PNF66GE

-- Edited because the forums freaked out and double posted

IGN: SummerHaas Discord: Summer#9392 Laezaria Leadership Team
    Chaos Chests & Other Useful Info | Crystal Gear Stats | Forging Calculator | Tomes Calculator | YouTube | Trovesaurus Profile
    Free Class Coin for new players Enter code: D2Z7K6TQX6ZE3PNF66GE

- update windows

- get Ccleaner and run the top 2 tabs (file cleaner and registry cleaner). if you never ran a registry cleaner before then you may may have to run that a few times till it dont find anything else
    - if you have a virus scanner run it or if you dont then download https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/ its free

- de-frag your system ... you should already have one installed by windows, search for defrag should give you some sort of result or go to my computer and right click the C drive and go to properties and go to tools tab and click and run the optimize drives option ... ONLY IF YOU HAVE A NORMAL SPINNING HARD DRIVE THO ... then while your in in there you could scan your drive to check for errors

... if all this sounds like to much work and your not afraid to get your hands dirty and you know how to reinstall windows then your best and easiest option will be to clean install windows again (i do this to my system every 6 months or so), but this really aint for everyone, especially if you have stuff you need that has never been backed up. but then you'll have to reinstall all the games again but your system will be like new or you can just refresh windows which is like reinstalling without losing any of your data but that is not on every windows (you didn't say what version of windows you were running) ... anyways have fun and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by J_1990 View Post
    You could Defragment your hard drive. You could also install something along the lines of ccleaner to assist with cleanup.

You should definitely make sure you keep your antivirus up to date and if you don't have one you can find free ones that are decent. Some antivirus programs have tools to help you maintain/clean your computer, you might also look within your existing antivirus if you have one.

That's about all I could think of right now, hope it helps.
    Thank you,i am learning about Ccleaner,how about the free version?
    How about it: https://www.safewiper.com/
    It was found on Google,it was easier than Ccleaner.

+ Reply to Thread