+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The new weekly Geode Egg Challenge needs a rework

The new weekly Geode Egg Challenge needs a rework

The leaderboard rework surely had ups, but along came a big minus in terms of weekly Contests.

The trouble maker is that challenge, which centres around finding Critter Eggs inside geode caves.

While this challenge has been a great thing in the past with its crystal pinatas for top 1000 players who are interested in Geode Caves, after this change it is an annoying mess that only allows people with over 50 eggs to get something useful.

Previously, this contest had its 1000 ranking border around 10-20 eggs found per week. But by adding a score wall of 50, this whole thing becomes a utterly mess. One that completelly turns the whole contest upside-down, unfortunally.

But what is an argument without data?
    Following screenshots had been made after almost one week had passed: 2 hours before reset at Monday.

Score 15: Finding 15 critter eggs will get you to rank 867

Score 50: Finding 50 critter eggs makes you rank 417 or better

Rank 5000: Go through the hard trouble and find 1 single egg after a harsh full week of non stop geode cave farming and you will finally make it into top 5000 (kappa)

Rank 2500: Ranking 2500 is double as tough to get than ranking 5000. You guessed right: this thing needs whole 2 eggs. In words 'two'. Which will provide you with a safe 2397 ranking. (same screenshot as above)

Rank 250: Finally we get something that can be actually used inside Geode, if you play geode. This week, you need to find 81 critter eggs to make you eligible for the top spot (at the time of 2h before reset)

Let us analyse this data!

'Score' means that you have a certain number of items to pass this challenge. For 'score' it does not matter how many other people did get this. In fact, an infinite number of people can get a 'score' reward.

'Rank' means that you are competing amongst other people for this reward. The number of items you need can and will vary, depending on the effords of players. If the reward is at 'rank' 250, then only 250 players are able to get this reward.

Trove started having only 'rank' challenges. But 'score' rewards got added so new people had a chance to even compete at weekly Class XY Power Rank challenges. For Class XY it makes perfect sense, since lower players who need those rewards had no chance to get it with popular classes and by the time they could get it, they no longer needed it. 'Score' is an easy and ensured way to get rewarded for your effords before the actual 'rank' war starts.

Now let us have a look at how the new contest worked out:
    Both 'score' rewards are so high that anyone who gets 'score 50' (aka finding 50 eggs) will instantly be not only withing top 5000, but also far below top 2500 aswell. Or in other words: Reaching this supposedly 'easy' score alone will instantly clear 4 out of 5 rewards. With only the hardest 'rank 250' remaining.

'Rank 5000' and 'rank 2500' are a mere joke. Geode caves are by far not popular enough! Only 3044 players did even bother to grab even 1 single egg this week. This makes them be less than rank 5000, but they do not get anything at all because of the 'score' walls. And 'rank 2500' got the same problem.

Let us use a diagram here to visualize those data and its issue better:

Naming the issues

Having such a high 'score' wall does heavily discourage players from even caring about this contest that takes place in already unpopular Geode Cave Worlds. 'Score' walls should always be an easy task that people can get without having to fight other peoples for leaderboard ranks. But in this case, those scores are far higher than what a player does reach by casually playing Geode Caves.

Rank 5000 and 2500 are complete fails, because Geode Caves have a far smaller playerbase than other challenges. With a total participation of around 3000 players, it would make more sense to have those ranks tweaked to 2500 and 1000.

Trove rewards inside Geode challenge is probably intended to bring Trove players into Geode caves. But this will give nothing to players for their Geode adventures. Exspecially those Jade Clovers and Glittering Horseshoes are a pretty weak reward these days. It would be better to consider both groups of players for these.

Solutions

To make this contest appealing, this contest needs to be changed in multiple ways:

-Those 'score' walls need to either go away or scaled far lower. The lowest should be 5 eggs and the 2nd 'score' wall should be at 10 or 15. Remember that in past, the top 1000 rank was at around 10 eggs before. Therefore, 5 eggs is an easily reached bait that even those players can reach who are usually not much interested in Geode Caves and while they might had actual fun doing this, they see the next reward in a reasonable range, too and would do another 2 runs.

Note that this normall happens without maxed epquipment but with around level 2 to level 4 geode epquipment. Tamed eggs and eggs from a few minutes of T3 is where those players will get their eggs from.

-'Rank 5000' and 'rank 2500' need to be adjusted to the small player base that Geode Cave has. It makes more sense for those ranks to be at 'rank 2500' and 'rank 1000' with adjusted rewards.

-Now the rewards itself are the last issue. Those rewards definitelly need an upgrade so that both, Geode and Trove players will have use of them. And exspecially Trove players need more encouragement than only a few Jade Clovers that can realistically be reached. By saying this, the top reward is good where it is right now. It is a beefy reward that has use inside and outside Geode and rewards perfectly for a harsh competition in top rank 250.

The other rewards need to be reworked though:

At first 'score' reward, Jade clovers just need to go. Those things are outdated. Nobody cares. Replace it with Glittering Horseshoes or something better. Additionally, add a lower Geode reward at this position, too. Like 3 Builder's Chests (which usually contains important builderite) or 10 Builder's Box (contains usually early needed Gleamstone and uncommonly Builderite).

The second 'score' reward shoud be changed to give Lapis Luckbugs, Ninth Lifes or something other appealing for Trove players and either Builder's Vaults (Ancient Gears for the higher geode upgrades) or 10 Builder's Chests.

The first ranking reward should give something that players want to actually fight for a bit. This could be multiple Ninth Life (gem upgrade material) or Bound Brilliances (needed a lot to maximize gems) or an Empowered Gem Box or Nitro-Glitterine. There are enough options what to put here. Geode players should get multiple Metamatters (needed a lot to level up modules) or a very large amount (300-500, maybe more) of Crystal Caches (Crystals are the bread and butter in Geode Caves and are useful even after maxing everything in Geode) .

As the 2nd best ranking reward, 1 Empowered Gem Box is too less. Make that 3 or 4 to give people a reason to puit some mroe serious work into it. A good Geode equivalent would be 10-12 Metamatter.

Cheers ~

-Holy

Hatching Eggs without Accelerite now makes me feel like an idiot.

Maybe 50 as minimum is too much... imagine this happened on newer players instead... ...

+1 to this idea

50 is a ridiculous amount, made even more so by the fact most players don't even like spending time in those awful caves. Another decision made by game devs that clearly don't play their own game. Also, why is this up again the 2nd week in a row? What kind of "rotation" is this?

That rank 5000 of 1 egg, that didn't even happen. Less than 5000 people qualified for the upper rewards.

Heres the final scores:
    #1: 487
    #250: 88
    #2500: 2
    #5000: 0

Also, the gem rewards seem completely out of place for this contest. These should be Geode items like Accelerite and Lodestars.

IGN: SummerHaas Discord: Summer#9392 Laezaria Leadership Team
    Chaos Chests & Other Useful Info | Crystal Gear Stats | Forging Calculator | Tomes Calculator | YouTube | Trovesaurus Profile
    Free Class Coin for new players Enter code: D2Z7K6TQX6ZE3PNF66GE

I need metamater. PLS make this a reward. On PC, I am not maxed out yet. After I max out my modules, they can be used for +50% potions

I am not sure if I will like the "rotation" system but it is a good idea to have 1 BR, 1 ST, 1 Trove and 1 Geode Caves.

The Geode Cave should give geode stuff. I would prever this relicts that fill in the caves (I do not know the English name) and perhaps some nitro or things everbody needs in the game (I never use loadster stars or time saving things, cause I dont need it).

I can do caves lvl 5 easily and feed every critters on the way, but gave up last week to reach 50 eggs and it will not be my goal this week!

first step 5 eggs and second level 10 eggs will bring more people into Geode Caves and this will change the ranking ...

Quote Originally Posted by 0sita View Post
    I am not sure if I will like the "rotation" system but it is a good idea to have 1 BR, 1 ST, 1 Trove and 1 Geode Caves.

The Geode Cave should give geode stuff. I would prever this relicts that fill in the caves (I do not know the English name) and perhaps some nitro or things everbody needs in the game (I never use loadster stars or time saving things, cause I dont need it).

I can do caves lvl 5 easily and feed every critters on the way, but gave up last week to reach 50 eggs and it will not be my goal this week!

first step 5 eggs and second level 10 eggs will bring more people into Geode Caves and this will change the ranking ...

-Maybe they did mean 'random' instead of 'rotation'...? This way it would be possible to have 2 times the same in consecutive weeks. Though, I personally dont mind having a Geode challenge each week. Given that it gets reworked since the current one does not work.

Having challenges each week like you suggested sounds good.

-Those items that fill with crystals are called 'Relinquary'. It would be a good option, if one contest would give 2-3 Mastery Relinquaries instead of 10-12 Metamatter. So you still get Metamatter indirectly, but still need to do a bit of additional Geode adventuring, which will already count for next week, too. Which also improves the activity inside caves.
    Nitros is a nono... We already got an answer from Gamigo telling that they want to have it not easily accessed and to have direct ressources of caves and topside seperated. However, if nitros were added as challenge reward, this would definitelly boost the activity inside caves to new records.

-I know what you are telling here... I participated myself, but that wall was just too high to climb. Well, at least I got my Jade Clovers. I just put them on top of my 15k Clovers heap.

Let's hope we get heard here

+ Reply to Thread