+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: Why we update the PC & Console version on different dates...

1.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #1

Why we update the PC & Console version on different dates...

Hey Trovians,

We noticed that consoles players are feeling left behind and are worried about not having updates at the same time as the PC version. Rest assured that we care equally as much about the console version as the PC version, and want to explain why there is a difference in the update rhythm.

When the console version was initially released, PC and console reached release parity over the course of about 6 months, which meant that both had patches released at the same time. The thing is, console patches take much longer to develop due to the various console specific requirements. It also takes time to put console patches through certification (which PC patches don't require).

Slowing down the development cycle to match the speed of content releases for consoles means that less content can be released and that we have to live with bugs longer between releases, so we've split them back apart. This has some added benefits for both console and PC players:
    • We can release content faster for PC
    • Fix bugs before they reach console

Thank you again for letting us know your concerns, because we want to keep an open and honest dialog with you. We hope you now understand that patching consoles later than the PC version leads to a more complete update for console players.

While it's not so bad but the content that has been shown on PC right now is/was supposed to be released at the same time with consoles.
    Now with the timeline being different we should have more content in a patch than PC would as you can push PC updates more "frequently"

So with all this being said now and what is still yet to be determined on Bomber Season 2, will that update also include Gardening 2.0 then as it's in the PC PTS right now?

We might believe you if pc was getting fast updates. But they aren’t. Pc updates are now slower than they were before which makes console updates feel like they will never happen. Everything you are releasing for pc was previewed and scheduled for release last year. You broke up one big update into small parts and are trickling the release into small sections that are taking forever to do.

If you wanted to be honest you’d say you don’t have enough people to make new updates so your just releasing stuff the previous team did very slowly. Other games I play release console updates and pc updates very close together because console doesn’t take that much longer if you have actual resources developing the content. No one believes this is better for everyone when the truth is you just don’t have enough people to make new content in a reasonable amount of time.

the problem is that BR season 2 came out on PC back in March, its now May, and you havent went on record that console wont get for a "few" more months. and now PC has a PTS up for another update already before we even get 1, at this rate PC will be 3 major updates ahead of us.
    why can every other developer releases its content at the same time but for some reason trove on console is 6 months of extra work?
    ive been playing on PS4 since it came to console and have been a active content creator for trove for over 2 years. this content divide is getting to the point of being too much

None of this would actually be as bad as it is if we were given real progress reports on upcoming content and content that is yet to be released on consoles.

I appreciate the restatement of what long term players already knew, this does help new players understand why some have lost faith in the title.
    It's the lack of content period not the pace it's being released.
    Your end gamers who by game default tend to be your community leaders are the ones abandoning the game or just logging in at minimum amounts.
    Trove is set up that these leaders have the ears of 750 each of your customers and are the most dissatisfied based on just a lack of things to do at end game.
    Garden 2 / BR 2 are both things we will have done in 1 day..... personally already have my items for the 1 million badge......

We're not happy. Try fixing that not making a excuse.

Thank you for letting us know. I play on Xbox and I know that you get 1 (at least) update a month which you do for events.

Since it is my understanding that some of these patches take a bit to release, I do understand that the PTS was created for this reason.

It should not take more than a month to catch console up to PC. As PC is live, you guys are working on the console version during that time (I hope). The next monthly patch opportunity on XBox should allow for the release of content. The development cycle should not take 3 months on content that was worked on (and possibly completed) before Gamigo took over the reigns.

The May update should have given us BR season 2. You guys wasted that patch opportunity on a botched Luxion event. Now we have to wait until atleast June now for it.

Now, I think we should get BR2 and the Going Green in June as you have 3 weeks to fix bugs and release it. OR BR2 in June and Going Green in July. I hop[e we get the Summerfest event as I cannot spend the Pinata coins I have before the Gardening update hits as the event is the only way to spend them or unless a temporary sink is put in place. I have 13k of them lol

I can wait, but at least be reasonable with it.

I have a few issues with this post. We have already heard or assumed this was the "explanation" for the delay, but the consequences for this just doesn't make a whole lot of sense beyond the basic concept.

• We can release content faster for PC - Faster? Than what? For the limited amount of content I wouldn't say pc has gotten anything faster, other than faster than consoles are getting the content...which is incredibly and painfully delayed beyond reasonable expectations.

• Fix bugs before they reach console - Where to start with this...hmmm. Surely you must be aware that pc and console have always had very different bugs. Also, if you are trying to perfect the build before console gets it then I think you are fighting a losing battle, as we have had to play with past bugs for way to long before they were ever addressed much less fixed. I don't think console players want to wait for some utopian build thats just never going to happen.

The thing is, console patches take much longer to develop due to the various console specific requirements. It also takes time to put console patches through certification (which PC patches don't require). - I get it, console isn't as easy as pc and you have to pass certification, but cert doesn't take that long...it only seems like it takes long because its never sent in. Does BR Season 2 really take 2-3 months to release on console?

Which brings me to the big question that may answer this all...just how many people are actually working on getting this stuff ready for console?

If console was getting these updates 1 month later I could understand...I wouldn't be happy but I'd understand.

Quote Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
    • Fix bugs before they reach console - Where to start with this...hmmm. Surely you must be aware that pc and console have always had very different bugs.
    100% agree, when the luminopolis update hit, PS4 had its own set of issues that were unseen by xbox or PC, also the last PC patch for BR2 was over a month ago. does it take over a month to find and fix more bugs on PC? cause if not whats the delay? if PC is stable release it on console, so you can start fixing all the different bugs that we will inevitably have

If they are on to the next update on PTS, they have to be done with the BR2 update...

+ Reply to Thread