+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Future of Trove

Quote Originally Posted by Summer Haas View Post
    But someone on the internet said it was a fact!
    Oh absolutely . Another misunderstanding I see is that "trion no longer exists". Perhaps they'll rebrand, perhaps they won't, but an acquisition doesn't prevent the former from existing, it merely changes the owner. We have seen the twitch streams (which don't seem to exist anymore) move from trion world to trove game, but if we click the trove logo top right we go to a website still named trion worlds still with the trion world banner. Heck, I can't even see any mention to trion games on gamigo's site even today.

However the acquisition is an interesting one, and I do wonder if there is anyone left able to make new models, animations, vfx and sound. Topside was already in development, however I noticed that they tried to simplify things such as using invader noises instead of creating new sfx and stuff like the upcoming bomber royale style pack use existing assets with no vfx. It has been said that they don't want people leaning new vfx, but with the massive layoffs I find it questionable. The upcoming update seems short so far with again mostly coding updates rather than new assets, even one of the new BR maps reuses an old CTF map. We'll see.

I think it's safe to say they have no intention of shutting the game down as of right now. They just put an update on PTS and have a big gardening update planned. Clearly they are investing in expanding the game. I doubt any MMO can guarantee what will happen in 2 years, let alone 6.
    "A big gardening update planned"

Yup, it won't be around in 6 years. lol

I think it's safe to say they have no intention of shutting the game down as of right now. They just put an update on PTS and have a big gardening update planned. Clearly they are investing in expanding the game. I doubt any MMO can guarantee what will happen in 2 years, let alone 6.

Um.
    If you looked at the past livestreams.
    U10/BRS2/Gardening 2.0 was all supposed to be 1 update before the big change in power.

So even though they say these are "big" updates.
    These are updates that are already been planned just that they need to spread them out so they can get "new" developers in to make "new" content.

They way I figure it is we have at minimum 2-3 years left to play the game. Getting rid of most of the staff is basically a move to extract value from the products. Trion clearly had valuable products worth buying, but had no good prospects for future revenue. How much new content will get added is hard to know or guess. But the current game has enough content that even in its current form there aren't going to be a ton of players who finish the current content. Most players who complain about lack of content really only finish part of the content with each update. I'll stick around until the game goes belly up as long as there are at least a few players left to socialize with. The game could be one that might stick around for a very long time. The building aspect might keep the game holding on for a very long time, but that is the sort of thing which is very hard to know or guess.

+ Reply to Thread