+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EU vs NA? Higher latency = less lag?

EU vs NA? Higher latency = less lag?

So /Debugtext shows my RTT and world RTT as 300 to 350 when connected to NA and and 400 to 450 when connected to EU

The EU latency despite being higher seems to lag less WTH??? Isn't higher latency meant to mean more lag?

So since launch this has been my experience as an Australian in NSW

1.) Boss knockbacks shoot me off the edge of the roof of a dungeon about 20 or 30 blocks out into the sky and then I rubberband back in.

2.) Gliding on my dragons I fly over the the edge of a cliff about 30 blocks above it and then 10 or 20 seconds past the cliff I get rubberbanded backwards to the bottom of the cliff.

3.) walk into a hold in a dungeon to the boss below and pull and attack then rubberband back up to the edge of the hole yet the boss was still agro'd and have to jump down again.

4.) try and do the hourly dragon coin event and load into the world and glide on my dragon mount only to find the section of the world i'm flying towards isn't there yet and I fly glide at an invisible wall for 30 seconds over and over trying to make it to the right zone type for the event and fail them alot because of the delay. While flying at the invisible wall of the air of the chunk that hasn't loaded yet I can see all the enemies ahead of me through the invisible ground that hasn't appeared yet and see players killing them.

5.) Neon Ninja alot of the time doesn't leave behind a glass copy that I ever see, Vanguardian I use the eye beams and I see no beams come out yet energy was used and dmg happened.

I'm exaggerating anything here despite how crazy it sounds but these distances and issues are exactly as extreme as I've said and have caused me to take 3-6 month breaks from game at a time because I keep getting fed up with it sucking so bad.

Is there anyone from Australia that doesn't have stuff this bad?
    IGN: peteed
    Mastery: 214
    Class: Neon Ninja Level: 30

Us none Aussies aren't much better. It's usually not as extreme, but the servers still perform terribly and EU in particular has also had connection issues in top of poor performance. I think people have been extremely patient and forgiving in this regard. The worst is when it's really bogged down (such as during events) where chunks won't even load until massive delays have passed. I don't know why you seem to have better performance on EU servers though.

EU unplayable. Loading times are insane - in as connect, loading world, entering world and so on.
    Rubberbanding (packets loss) presents on both servers and depends on the server online I guess. Same for chunk (not) loading.
    Free Class Coin for Mastery Below 20 - Refer-A-Friend Code

Lag is a somewhat arbitrary term. There can be client side lag, server side lag, and packet loss.

A higher latency just means the data is traveling from one point to another slower.
    Server side lag can be caused by too many things processing on the server, the server receiving or sending more data than it can handle at once, or packet loss which can all result in rubberbanding.

One of the major issues with the US servers is the amount of traffic the worlds get. Every time someone teleports in to a new world it results in a data spike which lags the entire thing for everyone already there. This is why when you have a bunch of people coming in all at once the lag is really bad and then eventually subsides. Regardless of your latency, even if you were literally sitting at the terminal, you would experience some lag.

IGN: SummerHaas Discord: Summer#9392 Laezaria Leadership Team
    Chaos Chests & Other Useful Info | Crystal Gear Stats | Forging Calculator | Tomes Calculator | YouTube | Trovesaurus Profile
    Free Class Coin for new players Enter code: D2Z7K6TQX6ZE3PNF66GE

Quote Originally Posted by Summer Haas View Post
    One of the major issues with the US servers is the amount of traffic the worlds get. Every time someone teleports in to a new world it results in a data spike which lags the entire thing for everyone already there. This is why when you have a bunch of people coming in all at once the lag is really bad and then eventually subsides. Regardless of your latency, even if you were literally sitting at the terminal, you would experience some lag.
    Any idea why it does this? It's the same servers, why does an empty world perform better than a busy one? Are worlds capped on how much data they use for the instance? Is unnecessary data shared between all players wasting bandwidth rather than prioritise relevant data?

Probably issues with the engine. I would love to know more about it. All we know is they built the engine on a shoestring budget and its very hard to update, which tells me they outsourced it and no one who works at (formerly) Trion even fully understands it. Thats the only explanation for why it's not fixed after all this time and why some bugs take years and years to address.

Everyone blames the servers. The servers are probably fine. The software is the problem.

IGN: SummerHaas Discord: Summer#9392 Laezaria Leadership Team
    Chaos Chests & Other Useful Info | Crystal Gear Stats | Forging Calculator | Tomes Calculator | YouTube | Trovesaurus Profile
    Free Class Coin for new players Enter code: D2Z7K6TQX6ZE3PNF66GE

Quote Originally Posted by Summer Haas View Post
    Probably issues with the engine. I would love to know more about it. All we know is they built the engine on a shoestring budget and its very hard to update, which tells me they outsourced it and no one who works at (formerly) Trion even fully understands it. Thats the only explanation for why it's not fixed after all this time and why some bugs take years and years to address.

Everyone blames the servers. The servers are probably fine. The software is the problem.
    more a combination I think, some of the poor performance is infrastructure.
    Software is also a big issue, just plain stupid they're running Trove on Windows servers.
    And I still doubt very seriously the EU server is actually in A'dam, if it really is then the server is really really bad because it just cannot handle the players which really aren't such large numbers.

+ Reply to Thread