+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any updated tips & tricks regarding geode?

Anyone have any updated tips & tricks regarding geode?

I will start off by saying I dislike geode, I find it slow and boring and akin to COD's veteran mode with artificial difficulty that seems mostly unnecessary. Though where COD simply tossed more grenades at you, geode stripes you of your speed and abilities and sends you mining without bombs.

I have finished the questline, and am now doing the NPC quests as it's ok xp that doesn't involve me playing BR or grinding dungeons. The ore is also worth a little effort marketwise, just not really able to sell when I first need upgrades.

I have the mods to help with finding the resources I need (which honestly they feel like cheatin, not sure how these mods are not rule breaking..they feel like Minecrafts xray mods...aside from the fact there are no ore mods I can find...yet even meteors have a mod. This is off topic though)

Now I do see people flying around geode at top speed, where I move like a turtle even with the pathfinder...Only common ores seems to be unguarded by acid spitting plants....and even with rocket boots I still take damage touching ground as if i fell that distance .

SO I figure I must be doing it wrong, and was hoping a veteran would have some tips on what to focus on upgrading..movement speed and resource poression..(what resources are important, and when i should focus them...which would likely pair with equipment upgrades.)

I do not mine mining and spent long session doing it in minecraft just for my own building needs, so do not mind putting in grind. yet I feel as if the grind isn't grinding any results and that is a problem. after a day of grinding as a no lifer i feel i should have more progress..yet the things I need to upgrade are in place I can't stay for long. If I use the shield I move slower..if I use the pathfinder I just get hit by plants while trying to mine.

I try digging into walls for protection but normal blocks take longer then some ores to break. So any advice would help, since as you can see I am in rant mode and a little fed up.

Early on, throwing Platforms in front of plants works in T1~3.

If you're solo and just starting, barrier level 4 and any qubrik companion, common is a great one, should be fine for T3+.

Acceleration gets you to top speed, from 0 to 100, but there are shortcuts to help carry momentum from other animations.
    Jump, Hook from afar, then hold Jump for Rocket boots to get at or very near top speed at a premium price. I feel the hook is too expensive, even at level 10, so players like me will either only use it at the bottom of a cliff to go up or to collect eggs from high places.

Jump, Jump (Hold) as fast as possible to use the jump animations momentum, pathpainters +% height buff can help. You'll be able to clear a lot of obstacles a Jump (Hold) wouldn't clear because Acceleration&Rocket Boost doesn't apply to the vertical element.

The Jump, Jump (Hold) works great jumping from puddle to puddle in those S-shaped areas, you'll be able to keep some momentum and be topped off without all the rocket boot upgrades.

A good dodge animation you're familar with could help mitigate fall damage until you can get to T6 Boots, otherwise rocket boots then dodge could help with laggy falls

kinda rusty, haven't been in the geode caves in weeks. You could be more aggressive with boot usage in T5 than I did in the video.

A few tips from someone who had a little more fun with Geode:

1) First off, I strongly recommend focusing your module upgrades on the Omni-Tool and the GAS initially. Everything else for the most part is a luxury that you won't need upgraded at the start, outside of perhaps the Rocket Boots module (you mention taking a lot of fall damage, so it is likely worth taking your Boots up to around 6-7 or so). It may be tempting to level up stuff you're not using as much even from 1 to 2, but save that metamatter for the bigger things if you can. It's a lengthy grind to get more metamatter (the 4k crystal reliquary + a lodestar crafted at the crystallogy bench is the most efficient means of getting them).

2) The boots are your primary means of transport. Other things just simply won't compare to its horizontal speed. For the optional modules, I personally pick the grapple hook (to push exploding plants and help with upward momentum combined with boots) and the thumper (to reveal hidden crystals in the crystal lairs). You might find some use for the barrier generator if the fire-spitters are being really annoying. Pathpainter is absolute garbage at low levels, though usable later on when it becomes cheaper and helps your upward momentum.

3) The dodge roll CAN negate fall damage. Dodge when you're about to hit the ground from a high fall just to be safe, and try to minimize how many large falls you take - break it up into smaller falls, you'll figure out how far you can safely fall with some practice. Or land in a puddle of cave milk, as liquid also negates fall damage. Once you get more adept with the rocket boots you can try using them through downward passageways, but until then it's better to go a bit slower for longer runs.

4) The fire-spitters shoot at where they think your character will be. If you're standing still they aim where you're at, otherwise they'll lead their shots to hit where you're walking towards. Sometimes I mine ore while alternating two directions of movement (effectively doing a little dance in place) to lead their shots away from where I'm standing. If that doesn't work, you can throw a prospecting platform to temporarily cover up a fire-spitter, or make an exploding plant detonate next to it for more permanent removal.

5) Try to find another person or two to run through the caves with! Going as a group makes the experience more fun - you mine the resources faster, and the companions seem to give off an aura that provides their perks to other nearby players (either that or I'm hallucinating). Look for people who are hunting down the same resources (e.g. a T3 run focusing primarily on obtaining Quirkstone) and make sure you're on the same server locale (NA or EU).

Thank you for your repies.

Many of those tips will be extremely helpful, such as the dodge animation negating fall damage. The jump timing for the rock speed is also helpful, as I seen an older video and was having issues with the timing since it has apparently changed since that video...though I have done it..I haven't be able to repeat it effectively enough that I try to use it. These tips should help fix that, thank you.

I look forward to seeing the video

From my experience:
    1) Lvl 10 Tool - Faster, further reach, and bigger impact radius. Everyone should get this max out 1st.
    2) Lvl 9 GAS - Lvl 10 is quite expensive and not really necessary early on.
    3) Lvl 4 Barrier + Quibrik companion, any would do.
    4) Lvl 6 or 8 Boots - Lvl 6 gives you a no falling damage perk, which is amazing. Lvl 8 means you can get to the top speed of boots before companions. Also, the common Quibrik is the best choice for boots due to the 25% acceleration boost perk.
    5) Lvl 7 N-Charge - More energy regen means less down time on using any other modules.

After those, which are probably the most essential modules, you can go for (in no particular order):
    - Lvl 10 Barrier - you can pretty much spam it at lvl 10.
    - Lvl 10 GAS
    - Lvl 10 Pathfinder - no aggro from plants, probably the best perk among modules.
    - Lvl 10 Boots - It helps you fly across the 1st 3 tiers in no time.
    - Lvl 10 Thumber - It works just fine at lvl 1 for finding crystals. Thus, you can max it out after all of those modules above.

Then finally, lvl 10 N-charge and climbing claw. The 8-9-10 perks of N-charge are not that crazily helpful. And The climbing claw is just meh. It costs alot of energy, most likely does not work if you have rubberbanding issue, and all of its perks are just not that impressive at all. If you want to fast travel horizontally - boots is the answer. For scaling vertically, anti-gravity tower is your best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar View Post
    Early on, throwing Platforms in front of plants works in T1~3.

If you're solo and just starting, barrier level 4 and any qubrik companion, common is a great one, should be fine for T3+.

Acceleration gets you to top speed, from 0 to 100, but there are shortcuts to help carry momentum from other animations.
    Jump, Hook from afar, then hold Jump for Rocket boots to get at or very near top speed at a premium price. I feel the hook is too expensive, even at level 10, so players like me will either only use it at the bottom of a cliff to go up or to collect eggs from high places.

Jump, Jump (Hold) as fast as possible to use the jump animations momentum, pathpainters +% height buff can help. You'll be able to clear a lot of obstacles a Jump (Hold) wouldn't clear because Acceleration&Rocket Boost doesn't apply to the vertical element.

The Jump, Jump (Hold) works great jumping from puddle to puddle in those S-shaped areas, you'll be able to keep some momentum and be topped off without all the rocket boot upgrades.

A good dodge animation you're familar with could help mitigate fall damage until you can get to T6 Boots, otherwise rocket boots then dodge could help with laggy falls

kinda rusty, haven't been in the geode caves in weeks. You could be more aggressive with boot usage in T5 than I did in the video.

Now that the type of speed that I want.

Is the recharge juice lighting you on fire in tier 5? Does that have any negative effect, like are you trading HP for energy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mordielestok View Post
    Is the recharge juice lighting you on fire in tier 5? Does that have any negative effect, like are you trading HP for energy?
    The qubrik companions have +energy when hit when leveled, as does lv 4 and lv 9 from Barrier Generator. Specifically in Sunken Sunvault T5 the cave milk turns to lava but you're invulnerable to damage when the shield is up (fall dmg?). Stay put and you can tank the plant dmg to regen aswell, but have to time your shield cover as you're mining since any ticks at the start or end of the plant AoE could sap your G.A.S. .. Lava is double dagerous since it's %G.A.S. per tick of dmg.

Barrier is great solo, keeps your gas capped when mining for the buff. If you're cocky enough you can trick the plant to aim at the ceiling so you're regening as you shield, boots, and mining at the same time. Lv 10 Pathpainter is nice in groups, but an ore lair will sap your energy naturally when solo.

Ibita's list is good, I'd bring G.A.S. down to lv 8. T3-T4 gas reduction with T5 materials? It seems like a waste.

Don't forget to only use 4,000 crystal reliquiries and a lodestar from now on! (if someone hasnt mentioned it to you already).

No, and wish I had been told a bit ago..though i did buy 1 4k, I then bought the 700 and 3 100s.

he lvl 8 gas makes sense, and seems to be you all agree not to go to high on it. As yeah lvl 5 for lvl 4 reduction doesn't sound fair.

So far common is trained to give me +5 which i believe is the 3rd upgrade, and now working on gas and omni for tier 4.

All the advice has helped, and I feel I am moving faster and dodging plants a lot better.

Thank you all; especially you Lunar, you have been a big help and I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibita View Post
    From my experience:
    1) Lvl 10 Tool - Faster, further reach, and bigger impact radius. Everyone should get this max out 1st.
    2) Lvl 9 GAS - Lvl 10 is quite expensive and not really necessary early on.
    3) Lvl 4 Barrier + Quibrik companion, any would do.
    4) Lvl 6 or 8 Boots - Lvl 6 gives you a no falling damage perk, which is amazing. Lvl 8 means you can get to the top speed of boots before companions. Also, the common Quibrik is the best choice for boots due to the 25% acceleration boost perk.
    5) Lvl 7 N-Charge - More energy regen means less down time on using any other modules.

After those, which are probably the most essential modules, you can go for (in no particular order):
    - Lvl 10 Barrier - you can pretty much spam it at lvl 10.
    - Lvl 10 GAS
    - Lvl 10 Pathfinder - no aggro from plants, probably the best perk among modules.
    - Lvl 10 Boots - It helps you fly across the 1st 3 tiers in no time.
    - Lvl 10 Thumber - It works just fine at lvl 1 for finding crystals. Thus, you can max it out after all of those modules above.

Then finally, lvl 10 N-charge and climbing claw. The 8-9-10 perks of N-charge are not that crazily helpful. And The climbing claw is just meh. It costs alot of energy, most likely does not work if you have rubberbanding issue, and all of its perks are just not that impressive at all. If you want to fast travel horizontally - boots is the answer. For scaling vertically, anti-gravity tower is your best choice.
    This list is really helpful, thank you for putting it together. To bad it's a reply and not a post of it's own to make it easier to find for other who may be interested.

Thumper use tips:
    Thumper doesn't have to be placed on flat ground, where the thumper hits is where it'll activate, think sticky bomb. It's revealing radius is 3D, so between veins or half height of the room are good places to throw. Lack of a mod to show it's radius in 3D at this time is kind of unexpected really

Before I knew how well the other stuff worked I touched upon earlier, this is what a crystal lair run looked like then.
    The Expertise thread for Geode should have included a step for collecting revealed (30) crystals

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast