+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice from music builders.

Need advice from music builders.

I'm trying to do something in terms of a side-project, but there's a lot of things that throw me off. I've tried to use the search function, but all I get is information on a technical end, and not on a "this magrail setting results in X tempo at full speed" end.

I'm trying to decipher some of these things, and it just boils down to me wanting to scrap the project.

Anyone with noteblock experience can help me understand in plain terms?
    Interesting Output is the project -- Altermaven is the name. A cat-dragon who runs Voxel Villages.
    func_update(Twitter); | func_dvr(Youtube); | func_record(Mixer); (Bad Net)
    New to Trove? Under mastery 20? Use this: ZCCKHKDYZKQZRLHEJTE6

Your question is too vague, but I don't feel like explaining it either way. As you already know, there is information I posted about magrail speeds: http://forums.trovegame.com/showthread.php?129680
    Here are some clubs you can visit to see how others build music rails:
    /joinworld googletranslate
    /joinworld the trovian maestros
    /joinworld architect pride
    /joinworld soundcloud
    /joinworld orichalcum

There is a limit to how many music blocks you can stack, there is a way to share notes between 2 instruments, there are notes that can mute the instrument, there are ways to design a turn to minimize the change in tempo, there are notes and instruments that are bugged, etc. You might end up having to figure it out yourself unless I somehow feel like posting a guide, but I don't feel like doing so right now.
    IGN: Architect
    Referral Code: YNCGF39PMZK2N6HZPJCQ

Let me attempt to clarify. I was trying to see if anyone was able to translate magrail speeds into observing tempo, with a "beat" occuring every 4 or 8 blocks. I've looked at some of the clubs mentioned, but I couldn't really decipher the overall schematic of things. I will have to do a bit of experimentation and hopefully get things done myself. But I did see your post, but your observation is based on block travel and distance.

I was wondering if you can break it down into overall tempo based on "beats" in a typical 4/4 (four-bar) setup. I tried to do a literal translation, and by testing, it feels like things are off-pace. Such as the 90 blocks/min on the orange rail didn't feel like 90 beats per minute to me (if I set a bar as every 4 blocks).

Bear with me, it's morning and I'm juggling between caffeine and preparing for an outing. It's almost 8am here, and it'll probably be 4pm when I am back and able to respond.

The straight orange rail has a speed of 360 blocks per minute. If you want each block to represent a quarter note, then the tempo for a quarter note is 360. For a whole note, it is bpm/4 = 90.

Edit: make sure we are talking about the same orange color and not a darker orange. Another way to describe it is 3 increments from the blue speed.

Alright, I'll take that in mind, but I think I have the general idea of what you're talking about. I'm more on the lines of this:
    Code:
    Sequence of notes: (X = note block, o = No note block)
    XoooXoooXoooXooo
    What would that render at the orange setting @ 360 blocks/min? Sorry if I sound like I'm not getting it, because it's still a bit confusing.
    Interesting Output is the project -- Altermaven is the name. A cat-dragon who runs Voxel Villages.

I am usually doing my tracks with 16 Blocks per measure for pretty much all songs and adjust the speed changer at the beginning of a song to the closest speed of the original of a song.

By using 16 Blocks, it means:

1/1 Note equals the whole 16 Blocks,
    1/2 Note equals 8 Blocks
    1/4 Note equals 4 Blocks
    1/8 Note equals 2 Blocks
    1/16 Note equals 1 Block.

Obviously, the fastest Note that can be played like this is a 1/16 Note.

After a certain speed is set, you may add speed changers in U-turns of your track to lessen speed change, as Arc mentioned already. This usually needs 2 Speed changers or a Booster (press E to make it become a slower).

You can also whisper me ingame. Nick is the same as here.

It all seems ambiguous to me, but I kinda want to have a general gist of what to expect before I start laying down some foundations, then turn around and fabricate the track. This name is the same as the IGN.

EDIT: Let me put it in plain terms: How can I space my blocks to achieve a tempo of 90 beats per minute? How about 120? And what speed setting should I use?

Using your example, a straight orange rail with XoooXoooXoooXooo will play X 90 times per minute. Without going into detail, you divide the bpm of 360 by 4 because of the repeated pattern Xooo. To get X to play 120 times per minute, just increment the speed once to get 480/4 = 120. If you had a pattern of Xooooooo, then you would divide the bpm by 8, which is the same as my table for 1/2. The pattern Xooooooooooo is the same as my table for 1/3 and Xooooooooooooooo is the same as my table for 1/4. Sometimes you need to experiment with boosts to achieve a certain tempo that is not given in my tables.

Thanks for breaking it down. I can say that it's a lot more understood now. I'll keep this in mind in case I start work on projects, which won't be for a while, but it's good to know the general gist.

+ Reply to Thread