+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Metamatter needs fixing

Metamatter needs fixing

So when Geode released, I completed the main questline, really enjoyed the update, and about half an hour after finishing the quest, i got completely and utterly bored. Why? Because of metamatter.

Metamatter is one of the most important materials in the entirety of Geode, since it's involved in every single upgrade for every single module. Therefore, your progress in Geode is very heavily dependant on how much metamatter you can get and how quickly you can get it.

I enjoyed the main questline because it constantly provides you with reliquaries so you can get metamatter and upgrade modules at a steady rate, but I now find myself with zero metamatter and zero motivation to go get some.

Metamatter is far too expensive. To directly craft the material, you need several hundred different types of plants as well as over 7000 crystals, which is absolutely absurd. You can also buy reliquaries from Thundros, however these are not only blatantly timewalled, but they don't even guarantee you'll get metamatter! And of course, they may only give you very measly amounts of metamatter anyway. The extremely limited amount of metamatter you can get is the sole reason I've already pretty much given up on Geode.

The problem of metamatter is also linked with the difficulty of getting crystals. As said previously, the recipes to directly craft metamatter require several thousand crystals, and currently, the only way to get reliquaries is also through crystals. Considering how much crystals were nerfed since Geode was on PTS, it's now extremely grindy if you want to reliably get metamatter. If crystal drops were greatly increased, or the prices for metamatter-related items were greatly decreased, it might become bearable.

I can think of multiple ways to solve the problem. Firstly, severely reduce the crafting cost for metamatter, so that players have a reliable way to obtain it if they're up to a small grind. Secondly, make Thundros' reliquaries only give metamatter, and give higher amounts. They don't need to give other materials; those can actually be grinded reliably. And finally, I think there should be some kind of daily adventure that gives you a reliquary token. I mean, considering you only ever get one token at the moment, it makes sense to me that there should be ways to get more.
    Cacti are cool. Yeah.

Same feelings here. On the plus side Accelerite seems to be accessible, but other than that I'm not really sure how I'm meant to progress without access to readily meta matter. I can rng the crystal reliquaries, but it's a lot of crystals to carry on doing that and perhaps using lodestars. Some of it may be to try and entice you to buy the pack that has 10 metamatter, but I can't help thinking that it seems time inefficient to progress the content in itself. I mean trying to actually earn the crystals from the caves isn't really accessible give then amount everything costs.

I kind of regret wasting some on the climbing claw and N-charge.

You want a cheaper metamater recipe? How would you feel about 3200 crystal and 80 of each resource?

Thats available at teir 4 of crystallogy.

Not good enough? How about 2400 crystal and 60 of each resource?

Thats available at max teir of crystology.

Look at that. The devs anticipated your problem, and already provided you with the solution you wanted. Thank you devs!

I agree that the lack of crystals and metamatter completely bring this update to a screeching halt. I was engaged in the content on day 1 and now on day 3 I am not. Looking at the crafting requirements it appears to me that they simply used crystals like they used plasmium in last update, except plasmium was tradeable. I enjoyed farming the dungeons and collecting the resources, but the one thing I can't farm in massive quantities needed is crystals. A lair full of crystals is basically meaningless compared to what you need to progress. The pinatas drop slightly larger amounts than the lesser caches but again its pennies when you need dollars.

No matter how many crystals I feel like I collect its not even a drop of what I need to progress. I understand making content that can't be completed instantly but this just kills momentum. I'm confused if this was Trion's intention. It feels like there is a disconnect again.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic Evil View Post
    You want a cheaper metamater recipe? How would you feel about 3200 crystal and 80 of each resource?

Thats available at teir 4 of crystallogy.

Not good enough? How about 2400 crystal and 60 of each resource?

Thats available at max teir of crystology.

Look at that. The devs anticipated your problem, and already provided you with the solution you wanted. Thank you devs!
    Problem is, those recipes require materials which you get from the higher tiers. To get to those tiers, you need to upgrade your modules. To upgrade your modules, you need metamatter. Also, the metamatter upgrades scale as well, meaning you need more metamatter for the final module upgrades, which negates the fact that metamatter is cheaper.
    Cacti are cool. Yeah.

just want to point out tier1 crystal dungeons have hidden items ground level and above so bring your thumper, good ones are small coves w/ 750+ crystal value per lair, last night I did two back to back in tier one for 750&900 crystal value.

They really should've had a quest to find these hidden high value crystals to explain this to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunar View Post
    just want to point out tier1 crystal dungeons have hidden items ground level and above so bring your thumper, good ones are small coves w/ 750+ crystal value per lair, last night I did two back to back in tier one for 750&900 crystal value.

They really should've had a quest to find these hidden high value crystals to explain this to people.
    The lairs are definitely a decent way to get crystals, but the amount of them you need to reliably get metamatter still outweighs the lairs, plus you have to get lucky and find a crystal lair rather than plants or ore.
    Cacti are cool. Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDj View Post
    The lairs are definitely a decent way to get crystals, but the amount of them you need to reliably get metamatter still outweighs the lairs, plus you have to get lucky and find a crystal lair rather than plants or ore.
    Sure, the 80 plants/3200 crystals for t2-3? you wont find 3200 crystals in 2 crystal lairs like the plants you would but luckily its a good enough amount to take 2~4 minutes to peek at any quick lairs in t1 to get what you need just incase.. i don't think its a great system.. but it's better than comforting the locals.

I havent gone to a t2/t3 crystal lair [in a small cove] yet with an upgraded thumper, if anyone else has what kind of generation was the room (big ones suuuck, with the fixture) and the value of crystal you got?

I think the Metamatter tome recipe needs change.

Getting metamatter is time gated but i think it is ok, at least we can get it slowly. However, we don't have enough metamatter to upgrade modules, so we are not able to farm material needed inT5 and craft the tome.

Sitting here, staring at my screen, wondering why I even bothered to invest in to Geode. I can't do anything due to lack of crystals and metamatter. The reliquaries give me regular materials instead of metamatter. The eggs keep giving me duplicates for days now.

So much fun.

+ Reply to Thread