+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: How Trove can Greatly Improve its ability to Make Money

How Trove can Greatly Improve its ability to Make Money

----Introduction----
    This is coming from someone that has spent ALOT on rocket league. I've spent almost next to nothing on trove in contrast, and that could easily change and that is what the point of this post is.

First I'm going to talk about Rocket League for a tiny bit to give some greater understanding.

In Rocket League for $4 I can get the following;

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/...DCUUS000000001

2 Cars, 20 customization items. Some of which include 2 very amazingly detailed Wheels, and an awesome Rocket Boost.

This is merely one of many DLCs rocket league has to offer that is very low on its pricing. Now for something of that magnitude on Trove, I'd have to spend easily $20 or even much more than that.

Additonally, they have great value on Crates. They work kind of like Chaos Chests in Trove, except you see a slot machine appear before you randomly get the item, and there is no bar to fill, its just random, but if you open 5 crates of the same kind you can trade in the worst 5 items you may of gotten for the next rarity up so its 100% guaranteed value. (And thats the worst case scenario, the best case is you got an item thats worth literally $40+ or more in value, when trading with other players)

In Trove You'd have to loot 70 chaos chests for guaranteed value.
    In Rocket League you'd have to open 5 Crates for guaranteed value.

In Trove For $20 I'm guaranteed value
    In Rocket League For $5 I'm guaranteed value

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now on to my ideas. I look at Troves many different options of buying things and some things I'm just not going to do. For example I'd have to pay around $20 for a tome item, I could also spend that 20 on buying an entirely different game.

So instead, lets refocus here.

-----Collecting All Things-----
    I would love the idea to be able to buy alot of different costumes for cheap. I'm more inclined to spend $5 every now and then on a few costumes than I am spending $10 for one costume once a year.

I'd happily buy around 7-15 different costumes for my characters, there's some really amazing ones. But for that to happen, I'd only like doing it if say the not so unique color swapped costumes were only like $1 maybe even just 50 cents. While the main amazing looking super detailed animated ones could be say $2 or $3. I'm more likely to buy things like those in bulk, than I would be buying one and not bothering again.

Same applies to mounts, and anything that is cosmetic, you have to remember its all just cosmetic, so why would I spend an absurd amount when theres already plenty of things I can earn in-game. It has to be worth it.

-----Getting Stronger Faster-----
    When it comes to obtaining things like dust, leveling up, getting emblems that make you stronger these are all in a separate category of the game. It makes sense for these to be more expensive, because its letting you get much stronger than you would be otherwise.

(Gem Boxes, Not Mandatory, but Missed Opportunity)

Gem Boxes would be great to buy, but if I'm gonna do that I'd like to get good value from it, so maybe 30 boxes for $5. Cause this game even with all the dust and everything its still not guaranteed you'll get your character maxed, not to mention you can level up an entirely new class all the way from scratch repeating the process.

Why so cheap? Well because you have to think how easy it is to get dust already, I can just go out an farm it and get thousands in no time. Would you rather I spend next to nothing on dust? Or spend a little amount for alot, and buy alot of dust alot of the time using this method.

-----Starting Players----- (This part isn't mandatory, but just an idea)
    I can't count the number of times I've seen new players exploring the HUB like its minecraft and then quitting the game not long after.

I think an entire world should be dedicated to new players, where they are not allowed to even teleport to the actual HUB, where a voice actor tells them what they need to do and show it on-screen what to do, and how to do things like get gear, make flux etc. You also should give some free costumes/hats/faces etc. to new players, to show them how later on they can change appearance. Also disable the Store until a player has finished tutorials.

Why? So this way a new player doesn't try buying something in the store they don't understand, waste it then quit the game. Also by showing them whats important, they might be inclined to buy some costumes, or mounts etc.

-----Final Thoughts-----
    So with that, hopefully this helps out trove, you have to ask yourself this; are you willing to let some players buy something some of the time for alot, or ALOT of players buying something ALOT of the time.

Rocket League was the number 1 most downloaded video game for playstation for a reason in 2016.

Interesting perspective and analysis on a competitors game. But one thing I think is important to note is that when picking a price point there are many different avenues you can choose.

Take walmart for example, they sell many goods at low prices. Their profit margins are almost non-existant, but since sell so many of the product, those low profit margins eventually start to add up.

Now look at a company like apple, they sell a small supply of products at premium prices (1000 dollars for an iphone am I right). They may not sell as much of their product as other companies, but because of the brand they have set up for themselves as well as the knowledge that they are selling strictly premium, well made products allows them to get away with these prices.

My point with this comparison is, Trion is probably not trying to appeal to the same market that rocket league is. Therefore to suggest they have similar pricing, while that might seem appealing to the consumer, may not ultimately be the best way for Trove to make money. Trove doesnt have the same playerbase that a game like rocket league or fortnite has that are sustainable payment methods where you can get a lot for a little.

Another thing is, one of the best values per dollar that you can get in the trove store is their patron, in fact it is ultimately possible to consistently farm enough to secure yourself patron consistently without ever spending a penny on the game. With this in mind, it is also easier to farm for credits (albeit tedious) in order to achieve MOST items that you want in the game.

WITH ALL THAT SAID: Some products could definitely use a rebalance of pricing from a consumer perspective (2000+ credits for a tome? 50 dollar dragon pack? hmm.) And I think this thread identifies some of those price fallacies very well

Quote Originally Posted by Soxerino View Post
    Interesting perspective and analysis on a competitors game. But one thing I think is important to note is that when picking a price point there are many different avenues you can choose.

Take walmart for example, they sell many goods at low prices. Their profit margins are almost non-existant, but since sell so many of the product, those low profit margins eventually start to add up.

Now look at a company like apple, they sell a small supply of products at premium prices (1000 dollars for an iphone am I right). They may not sell as much of their product as other companies, but because of the brand they have set up for themselves as well as the knowledge that they are selling strictly premium, well made products allows them to get away with these prices.

My point with this comparison is, Trion is probably not trying to appeal to the same market that rocket league is. Therefore to suggest they have similar pricing, while that might seem appealing to the consumer, may not ultimately be the best way for Trove to make money. Trove doesnt have the same playerbase that a game like rocket league or fortnite has that are sustainable payment methods where you can get a lot for a little.

Another thing is, one of the best values per dollar that you can get in the trove store is their patron, in fact it is ultimately possible to consistently farm enough to secure yourself patron consistently without ever spending a penny on the game. With this in mind, it is also easier to farm for credits (albeit tedious) in order to achieve MOST items that you want in the game.

WITH ALL THAT SAID: Some products could definitely use a rebalance of pricing from a consumer perspective (2000+ credits for a tome? 50 dollar dragon pack? hmm.) And I think this thread identifies some of those price fallacies very well

Yep, I'm sure there are some things from trove that are more aimed at certain demographics alot more than others, so in that sense it could be possible. But why not have their cake and eat it too? If they make these changes they could make both the people that spend large amounts on the game already(or want to) and the ones that don't spend any or little all happy. Then they could just invest in adding more unique costumes and etc. for the store.

It all really honestly just comes down to what are people not bothering with buying at all in the grand scheme of things, and developers having a look at it in their pricing ultimately.

Small price to pay for a tiny number of master points. I think it could have been done more. I do not want to see such packs.
    I also think that if they return to the "Steam" price as it was before, it will be better for both sides.

5.   This is the last Trove Team post in this thread.   #5
    Thanks very much for taking the time to write this up, Dregonx! Your insight is appreciated. I shared this with the team so we can keep it in mind.
    Steve "Fasti" Haines
    Community Manager, Trove
    Follow me on Twitter!

Read our forum rules before posting, please! |Looking for help? Contact our support team! | Found a bug? Follow these steps to report it and we'll fix it ASAP!

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by Fasti View Post
    Thanks very much for taking the time to write this up, Dregonx! Your insight is appreciated. I shared this with the team so we can keep it in mind.

You're welcome, glad I could be of assistance! Also thank you, and you have a great day sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Soxerino View Post
    The other thing that must be understood is the COST of the product... one of the ways that Walmart makes so much money is the cost for them to buy the products is less. Now how much does a mount or a costume COST? Sure you have the original development costs... Lets say 300.00 to develop. (A single mount... this number may be more or less, I'm not sure.) but after it's original development it costs NOTHING... The first one they make costs 300.00 and EVERY single one they make afterwards costs virtually nothing. So if they sold them for 1.00 each, then they would be in the black after selling only 300 of them. Then from that point on... everyone they sell after is 100% pure profit! Walmart has nothing on digital goods providers.

Now that being said... I get that there is loads of other overhead they have to pay for, so they can't sell them for 1.00... but his suggestion of lowering the price and getting more sales to make up the difference and by doing so, generating a more satisfied player base which will spread the game to more players is not a bad idea.

+ Reply to Thread