+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: Serious consern from todays live stream with the game direction.

I've been meaning to post again once I realized that, in my half-awake morning haze, my rant came off as not genuine and trollish. It didn't help I misread another post either.
    So, now that I'm not half-awake I'd like to make another attempt at my original comment.

I'd like to first point out that I've been a Trove player since it was announced. I've played in Alpha and Beta stages, and have mostly seen the game evolve into something that is completely different than what I originally signed up for.
    In it's inception, Trove was advertised as a sandbox game with an RPG element to make exploring and mining fun. Sort of like a 3-dimensional Boundless or Terreria. And at first it seemed the game was progressing nicely along those roads. I found the game more compelling and interesting than what I saw my boys do in Minecraft, and I quickly started comparing the two as closely related.

As I'm just a casual player, I only had time for so many games. As first STO, then SW:TOR and WoW started to take up more and more of my interests, I gradually stopped playing Defiance, Trove and Rift to spend time with my gaming group. When I came back to Trove a good year - maybe more - later, I found the game had taken an entirely different direction from it's origination. Fewer people seemed to focus on building and clubs, and there was more and more focus on dungeon runs, on gear, and stats.
    I've confused more than one new friend lately as to why I don't have an amazing Power Rank, why I'm not fixated on grinding dungeons, and have only a minor interest in Stellar gear.
    I'm in Trove for the fun of building. leveling my classes is something I do as I gather materials for crafting. It's not the end-all and be-all of the game for me.

So... when I saw Geode advertised and as a spelunking, exploration game, trying to get Trove back to it's roots, I thought that was fantastic. I rarely peruse the forums, and it's probably been for the best. As I started seeing more and more of the top-tier players nearly screaming that Geode was a horrible turn to the game, that they were loosing all their stat/grind achievements, for something new and fun... well, that's where the rant I posted came from.

I realize that not everyone is in Trove for the same reasons. But my frustrations grew when a large portion of the popular posters were trying to enforce their method of gameplay as the only reason Trove was a game. That, in removing it, Trion was making a huge mistake and alienating what they presume as the main player population.

I was just trying to point out that the game means something different for everyone. What's fun for some, isn't fun for others, so please try not to assume that - because you don't like the next expansion - no one will.
    I've played games where the devs have nearly toppled the game engine head over heals, and people still play it. WoW is a perfect example on how Blizzard will reshape a game - often NOT at the players request for reasons that often people don't understand. This happens in the MMO world, yes, we all have opinions, the drama that this is the end of the world (or at least the game) though... I'm not sure everyone would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasti View Post
    You see greed because of your life experience. I can't fault you for that. However, we're not a multibillion dollar company that is pushing our teams into burnout through endless "crunch." We're not working for peanuts while higher ups lounge around on their yachts with robot butlers. We're a group of passionate people who love what we do. If you need to hate us for some reason, that's all you. I find it takes so much more of my energy to hate something than it does to try to better understand it.
    When people say a company is greedy they don't mean the average workers are raking it in. Apple for example take the mick (though some of it's competitors have joined them), but that doesn't mean that your friendly shop assistant all the way up to the average developers are making more than their fair share.

There are a number of things that players could find greedy, such as:
    * Dragon packs/effigy for $50. We have 43 fully formed dragons, they're really not so special and frankly, we get better value at just buying a full game.
    * Ninth lives are over $5 each for a single boost that can fail
    * Land Scraper/bulldozer for $20 for a single mount
    * The costumes and wings in the luminopolis. 109 shards for the Avenging Arbiter that can't be bought with credits even. You guys purposefully made that unenjoyable to obtain to avoid the ridiculous timegate. What is that you say? It's not timegated? Lets see you farm 6m flux to buy out the sentience shards for a single costume. The one's not in money packs are mostly only 10 sentience shards. I guess that must be a coincidence.
    * Gem boosters are completely timelocked to coerce you to pay, or at least that seems to have been it's original intention. Other MMOs tend to at least let you farm them even with cash shop alternatives.

Personally I wouldn't completely blame it on greed. Looking at the numbers of other stuff in game less financially linked, it seems to be an issue of mainly not being well balanced. Though I do have concerns over f2p as a whole. It's good to try things out, but a lot of games don't handle the format in a friendly way. Essentially you're forced into a subpar experience and to experience the game in a way that lives up to average expectations, you're going to have to pay a hell of a lot more than you otherwise would have. For trove especially, you don't seem to get what you pay for. Hence the one's that pay tend to be the one's who put more worth on what they want than what they think is inherently worth. But heck, people seem to be a lot more impulsive nowadays.

Another thing that adds to the greedy point is that, while we're expected to give hundreds or thousands to keep the servers going, we don't get expected performance for it. There's been a fair amount of times when I can't even move because chunks haven't even loaded yet. Though most of the time it's just an absurd ping when sharing a world with others.

As for not being a "multi-billion dollar company", that may be the case, but Trion Worlds has received at least hundreds of millions in investments. Being private means that there's not so accessible financial information, but people have expectations for companies of that size. Trove may have started with a small team, but as a for profit company, people have standards they expect you to live up to. If they think you don't meet their expectations, then they will express as such. Especially if they've spent money.

Senior Member TheRealBenjiYokai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Everscream View Post
    This. The game is being powered by whales, who spend money and satisfy the greed that Trion has. The same greed is killing the game, imo.
    Not sure if you realize this but Trove is free-to-play, so the developers are going to have to find some way to make money and keep their office. I think that GEODE is going to be pay-to-win, and I don't like it, but it still doesn't justify how Trion Worlds is greedy for money. I think that they could do a better job at listening to console players' ideas, but other than that they are pretty good.

P.S. I DO occasionally spend money on this game, but it's because I know a fraction of the money goes to Extra Life
    ##############
    #PSN: Benji_Yokai#
    ##############
    It's pronounced yoh-KAI, not yoh-ki (a common misconception)

If you happen to be reading my posts, I quit Trove

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealBenjiYokai View Post
    I think that they could do a better job at listening to console players' ideas
    How exactly are ideas from console players different from pc players when changes apply the same to all platforms
    IGN: Chronozilla | Total Mastery: 100,341 | Total Power Rank: 346,429 | Alpha Conqueror | Gem Augment Info | Gem Rerolling Issue | Trion Support
    LEGIT Heart-a-Phones Received: 701 | Heart-a-Phones Sent: 687| Fish Caught: 31,208 | Trovesaurus | Geode Master Sheet | Notes for Returning Players
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasti View Post
    Thanks for saving my bacon, Chronozilla.

Just to make it clear... I am not upset for losing stats or bonuses..... My main concern is Geode is a game inside a game.....That mastery should be tied to the main mastery as they are dividing the players that they have left playing fighting over this. The stat complaint people have is they stated Magic Find will not be tied to the new gear/items in the new top zone....I have not but people have paid tons of money to catch up on dragons for magic find to find out it will not work for the next level up.....That is wrong on every level...again everyone has there own opinion but if Geode gives any advantage in the upcoming above ground/U10 as we are told it does now it is required content and should be looped together period.

Refer a Friend Link under master 20 only for free class coin.
    or use this code JYRRE66HHRPQHX9Y7FFM

Quote Originally Posted by fruitie View Post
    * The costumes and wings in the luminopolis. 109 shards for the Avenging Arbiter that can't be bought with credits even. You guys purposefully made that unenjoyable to obtain to avoid the ridiculous timegate. What is that you say? It's not timegated? Lets see you farm 6m flux to buy out the sentience shards for a single costume. The one's not in money packs are mostly only 10 sentience shards. I guess that must be a coincidence.
    This costume still bothers me every time I use the resistor bench. I pray that the new update doesn't use this pricey structure, its demoralizing to any player that grinds this game everyday and tries to craft this stuff. Those wind tunnel wings can be crafted for 125 sentience shards! I guess I am part of the problem though as I got the 3k credit pack that included the wings. Clearly these things were never really meant to be crafted, the cost was just a way to get people to buy the packs. Still curious how they arrived at 109 sentience shards though lol, such an odd number.

Quote Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
    This costume still bothers me every time I use the resistor bench. I pray that the new update doesn't use this pricey structure, its demoralizing to any player that grinds this game everyday and tries to craft this stuff. Those wind tunnel wings can be crafted for 125 sentience shards! I guess I am part of the problem though as I got the 3k credit pack that included the wings. Clearly these things were never really meant to be crafted, the cost was just a way to get people to buy the packs. Still curious how they arrived at 109 sentience shards though lol, such an odd number.
    Sorry to say, but it's just how trove is now ever since Trove China release. Gems... super grindy, augments... super grindy, 5 frag dragons... cancer grindy, club adventures... super grindy even if people managed to exploit it (I for one can't grind my own club because I'm stuck with terrible heroes), surprisingly luminnopolis dragons were actually pretty decent so sometimes we do catch a little break, those costumes, wings and new hero though?... Super grindy and timegated (unless you have more flux than sense). I barely tested the update because I didn't want to be demoralised, but even if it isn't too bad, u10 probably will be. People currently are glad that their current gems won't be gone to waste, but honestly if they make an upgrade system grindy and rng based, then frankly that "catching a break" mentality is basically merely psychological.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I personally won't be holding my breath. Though at least geode doesn't look to be forcing payment on it's users like this last update.

I have played since alpha and of course we are going to get screwed over. They will probably soon introduce more gear and gems making the current gear and gems we have grinded for useless, this has been the pattern since alpha, screwing good players who dont play all the time and benefitting p2w players and players who play 24/7. Seriously its not fun grinding yourself up to the top just to have a new update force you to do it over and over again... or you could just pay...

9.   This is the last Trove Team post in this thread.   #39
    Quote Originally Posted by YungGoat View Post
    I have played since alpha and of course we are going to get screwed over. They will probably soon introduce more gear and gems making the current gear and gems we have grinded for useless, this has been the pattern since alpha, screwing good players who dont play all the time and benefitting p2w players and players who play 24/7. Seriously its not fun grinding yourself up to the top just to have a new update force you to do it over and over again... or you could just pay...
    Read this post I made earlier in the thread before posting on this topic again. Constructive criticism is totally fine but making claims about what you suspect, when we've specifically stated repeatedly that this isn't the case, is far from constructive.

Geode launch isn't bringing any changes to gems or gear. With that said, is it your genuine belief that in an MMO there should be no progression in equipment or power? When we do introduce new gems (likely late this year or early next) they will be supplemental. They will not replace your existing gems. They'll be new types with their own stats and progression.

At some in the future we may introduce new gear and gem types that will replace the existing ones (there are no plans for this at the moment). You're free to bathe in anger at the prospect of your almost 5 year old gear no longer being best in slot, but be productive when posting concerns about it on the forums.
    Steve "Fasti" Haines
    Community Manager, Trove
    Follow me on Twitter!

Read our forum rules before posting, please! |Looking for help? Contact our support team! | Found a bug? Follow these steps to report it and we'll fix it ASAP!

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by YungGoat View Post
    This is standard MMO gaming practice. Game gets stale if you have everything and nothing to aim for.

+ Reply to Thread