+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: ONLINE -PC & Xbox One Restart - PS4 Maintenance - April 25, 2018 - 8AM PDT (3PM GMT)

A maintenance is needed to ensure that there will be no problems in the future.

Well the invs are broken for me also outside of shadow tower, and for most of the people i know too. If we have to wait till May update, please check this out... it would be funny that invites get fixed inside shadow towers but not ouside.

And thanks a lot to phantasie for your extensive reply, those reasons you pointed out are logical, i didn't know there was too much things to deal with in maintenances. What I am not sure still is why in 2 days. There was too much stuff to do for yesterday I guess, and you couldn't do a longer maintenance so you had to split it in two days

My big question is: why is the downtime ALWAYS scheduled at the same time most of europe comes home from work/school and wants to play? (16-19 CEST).. why not have downtime on EU servers at night 03-06 CEST???? I sleep for 24 - 06, i work from 07-15.. and then its PATCH time the few hours i actually can play??

a fix for getting stuck at "world:login" all the time would be great especially for shadow towers was really bad for me this week.
    Under Mastery 20? Want a Free Class Coin? Use My Referral Code Today!
    Simply Just click HERE And Apply Help Me to Help You!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasie View Post
    Hi Everyone

I recognize the frustration about downtime - I play a lot of games too, and know the feeling - especially where theres downtime over multiple days.

This is a good question. Not all downtime will result in changes to the actual game itself (we call this the client - what you play on the PS4 - or the Trove servers that the client connects to).

Here are a few examples of the many types of maintenance we might need to do:
    • Update or modify the hardware or supporting hardware that the Trove servers run on (add memory, upgrade storage, etc)
    • Update or modify the the software/OS that the Trove servers run on (just like you get Windows Updates on your computers, we need to update the OS or other software the Trove servers run on)
    • Database maintenance
    • Updates to the servers that support all Trion games (authentication, commerce, etc)
    • Security updates/patches to the servers or supporting infrastructure for Trove
    • Coordinated downtime with our ISP or other service providers
    • Modifications to the Trion network - router, firewall, etc.
    • Many others...
    Sometimes the above affects all platforms. Sometimes it's specific to a platform. In the case of downtime specific to a single platform, it wouldn't make sense to bring all platforms.

This is another good question, and is a good follow-up to the question above.
    Believe me: We want to minimize downtime. Most importantly, players cant play Trove (of course). On top of that they may not come back afterwards, we lose out on potential revenue, and its alot of work for us! As such we take downtime seriously.
    And so does Fasti - he called out several days ago asking for the downtime to be rolled into this mornings downtime or delayed until Thursday as he foresaw the same concerns you all do (Gems, etc).

Anytime we need to schedule downtime, theres a core group that discusses the specifics. We weigh what we are doing in the downtime and the various risks. Some of the things we take into consideration:
    1. The length of each task, and the buffer required
    2. The risk of each item
    3. How long it takes to validate the item
    4. Can the items be done in parallel or consecutive to other tasks?
    5. The stakeholders required to be on hand to complete the task
    6. The stakeholders required to be on hand if something goes wrong (these can be out of our control, we work with external teams too!)
    7. The potential downtime to correct the issue should something go wrong, and how that would affect our peak times for players online (Friday updates are rare for a reason - they are very stressful)
    8. Any many more...

When planning the downtime for tomorrow - given the above - we decided to keep it separate from the updates this morning.

I know this dosent give specifics, but hopefully it gives you some insight into the decision making process for scheduling downtime (and to reassure you we do discuss things like this!)

Thanks!

--Phantasie
    It's a good start! it's really appreciated that you guys try to keep up us up to date, I believe this is the way, as a community, to keep toxicity produced by downtimes/ingame issues as low as possible.
    IGN: TectonicRift
    Languages: Spanish, English

6.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by AleDuFFo View Post
    My big question is: why is the downtime ALWAYS scheduled at the same time most of europe comes home from work/school and wants to play? (16-19 CEST).. why not have downtime on EU servers at night 03-06 CEST???? I sleep for 24 - 06, i work from 07-15.. and then its PATCH time the few hours i actually can play??
    Hey there,

Another really good question. We've answered this before but it's good to reiterate periodically. We definitely know what time of day on each platform and region has the lowest population and therefor has the least impact when offline. However, there are more factors at play when scheduling these things, such as Phantasie called out. Specifically, we do downtime when we have dev staff online to handle unexpected issue.

To guarantee we have quick access to anyone who may be needed to resolve any issues we set our downtimes for early in the work day for our main office in the Bay Area. There are some tasks that can be done with very little support but in most cases we only bring Trove offline if absolutely necessary. If the downtime is absolutely necessary that means we'll need to have staff on hand to make sure everything works as it should (or that we can intervene quickly when it doesn't).

can't wait for this to stop happening on wednesdays to be able to stream all the time again just hope it'll come back online for ps4 soon

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasie View Post
    Here are a few examples of the many types of maintenance we might need to do:
    • Update or modify the hardware or supporting hardware that the Trove servers run on (add memory, upgrade storage, etc)
    • Update or modify the the software/OS that the Trove servers run on (just like you get Windows Updates on your computers, we need to update the OS or other software the Trove servers run on)
    • Database maintenance
    • Updates to the servers that support all Trion games (authentication, commerce, etc)
    • Security updates/patches to the servers or supporting infrastructure for Trove
    • Coordinated downtime with our ISP or other service providers
    • Modifications to the Trion network - router, firewall, etc.
    • Many others...
    Soooooooo, what you are saying is 2/3ths of the time you are taking the entire game down you are taking it all down. When what you should be doing is rolling updates and systematically take down pieces of your server farm and re-instating them piece by piece, and then the whole process will be un-noticed

so how i should notice of implement an increase in Plasmium drops, because i still get like 1 or 2 plasmium when i kill mobs.

10.   This is the last Trove Team post in this thread.   #20
    Hi RyeDough

Quote Originally Posted by ryedough View Post
    Soooooooo, what you are saying is 2/3ths of the time you are taking the entire game down you are taking it all down.
    I don't understand what you mean by 2/3ths or where you get that fraction from. Nor do I know what you mean by "taking the entire game down you are taking it all down."

Quote Originally Posted by ryedough View Post
    When what you should be doing is rolling updates and systematically take down pieces of your server farm and re-instating them piece by piece, and then the whole process will be un-noticed
    The post above was talking about cases where we are required to bring the service down (or its safer to bring it down so we can do a validation instead of having users do the validation).

We absolutely can - and frequently do - hotfix or hotswap out components without downtime just like you say. But players are unaware of this since - just like you say - it goes "un-noticed"

--Phantasie

+ Reply to Thread