+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: ONLINE -PC & Xbox One Restart - PS4 Maintenance - April 25, 2018 - 8AM PDT (3PM GMT)

1.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #1

ONLINE -PC & Xbox One Restart - PS4 Maintenance - April 25, 2018 - 8AM PDT (3PM GMT)

Update 3 - All platforms are back online!

Update 2 - PC downtime ran longer than expected but it's being brought back online now and you should be able to hop in and play any second now.

Update 1 - Trove for Xbox One is back online! We're finishing up PC shortly and will post updates on PS4 as they come through.

Hey folks,

We're bringing Trove for the PC and Xbox One offline for a quick restart and PS4 offline for additional maintenance on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 8AM PDT (3PM GMT). The restart on PC and Xbox One is needed to implement an increase in Plasmium drops but this is a server-side change so there is no patch needed. The maintenance for PS4 is a separate issue but we'll also use this downtime to get the Plasmium drop buff out to you as well.

For PC and Xbox One the downtime should be under 30 minutes. Downtime on PS4 is expected to be under 2 hours, but if we need more time, or come back online early, we'll update this post.

Thanks
    Steve "Fasti" Haines
    Community Manager, Trove
    Follow me on Twitter!

Read our forum rules before posting, please! |Looking for help? Contact our support team! | Found a bug? Follow these steps to report it and we'll fix it ASAP!

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Are you for real? It’s like you guys are TRYING to do maintenance on Gem Day at this point.

Also begs to differ that you are already bringing it down today, why not just extend today to fix it now instead what Scrimbim said, on gem day.

Can someone ELI5 why 2 maintenances, 2 days in a row, and both without any "changes"?

Also, how come u brought the game offline last week to "fix" the invites issue, but the inv are still broken? We gonna have a 3rd downtime this week?

Invites have been fixed since last week , that's correct. I've been using them no problem

Not everyones invites are working sucks that me and my friends have to go thru the club list to join anything if the other player is not on my friends list

7.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by lokogarciax3ma View Post
    Not everyones invites are working sucks that me and my friends have to go thru the club list to join anything if the other player is not on my friends list
    They are still broken in Shadow Towers. We'll have a fix for that in our May update. Sorry for the long wait.
    Steve "Fasti" Haines
    Community Manager, Trove
    Follow me on Twitter!

Read our forum rules before posting, please! |Looking for help? Contact our support team! | Found a bug? Follow these steps to report it and we'll fix it ASAP!

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

8.   Click here to go to the next Trove Team post in this thread.   #8
    Hi Everyone

I recognize the frustration about downtime - I play a lot of games too, and know the feeling - especially where theres downtime over multiple days.

Quote Originally Posted by Pakovrs View Post
    Can someone ELI5 why 2 maintenances, 2 days in a row, and both without any "changes"?
    This is a good question. Not all downtime will result in changes to the actual game itself (we call this the client - what you play on the PS4 - or the Trove servers that the client connects to).

Here are a few examples of the many types of maintenance we might need to do:
    • Update or modify the hardware or supporting hardware that the Trove servers run on (add memory, upgrade storage, etc)
    • Update or modify the the software/OS that the Trove servers run on (just like you get Windows Updates on your computers, we need to update the OS or other software the Trove servers run on)
    • Database maintenance
    • Updates to the servers that support all Trion games (authentication, commerce, etc)
    • Security updates/patches to the servers or supporting infrastructure for Trove
    • Coordinated downtime with our ISP or other service providers
    • Modifications to the Trion network - router, firewall, etc.
    • Many others...
    Sometimes the above affects all platforms. Sometimes it's specific to a platform. In the case of downtime specific to a single platform, it wouldn't make sense to bring all platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ13 View Post
    Also begs to differ that you are already bringing it down today, why not just extend today to fix it now instead what Scrimbim said, on gem day.
    This is another good question, and is a good follow-up to the question above.
    Believe me: We want to minimize downtime. Most importantly, players cant play Trove (of course). On top of that they may not come back afterwards, we lose out on potential revenue, and its alot of work for us! As such we take downtime seriously.
    And so does Fasti - he called out several days ago asking for the downtime to be rolled into this mornings downtime or delayed until Thursday as he foresaw the same concerns you all do (Gems, etc).

Anytime we need to schedule downtime, theres a core group that discusses the specifics. We weigh what we are doing in the downtime and the various risks. Some of the things we take into consideration:
    1. The length of each task, and the buffer required
    2. The risk of each item
    3. How long it takes to validate the item
    4. Can the items be done in parallel or consecutive to other tasks?
    5. The stakeholders required to be on hand to complete the task
    6. The stakeholders required to be on hand if something goes wrong (these can be out of our control, we work with external teams too!)
    7. The potential downtime to correct the issue should something go wrong, and how that would affect our peak times for players online (Friday updates are rare for a reason - they are very stressful)
    8. Any many more...

When planning the downtime for tomorrow - given the above - we decided to keep it separate from the updates this morning.

I know this dosent give specifics, but hopefully it gives you some insight into the decision making process for scheduling downtime (and to reassure you we do discuss things like this!)

Thanks!

--Phantasie

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasie View Post
    Hi Everyone

I recognize the frustration about downtime - I play a lot of games too, and know the feeling - especially where theres downtime over multiple days.

This is a good question. Not all downtime will result in changes to the actual game itself (we call this the client - what you play on the PS4 - or the Trove servers that the client connects to).

Here are a few examples of the many types of maintenance we might need to do:
    • Update or modify the hardware or supporting hardware that the Trove servers run on (add memory, upgrade storage, etc)
    • Update or modify the the software/OS that the Trove servers run on (just like you get Windows Updates on your computers, we need to update the OS or other software the Trove servers run on)
    • Database maintenance
    • Updates to the servers that support all Trion games (authentication, commerce, etc)
    • Security updates/patches to the servers or supporting infrastructure for Trove
    • Coordinated downtime with our ISP or other service providers
    • Modifications to the Trion network - router, firewall, etc.
    • Many others...
    Sometimes the above affects all platforms. Sometimes it's specific to a platform. In the case of downtime specific to a single platform, it wouldn't make sense to bring all platforms.

This is another good question, and is a good follow-up to the question above.
    Believe me: We want to minimize downtime. Most importantly, players cant play Trove (of course). On top of that they may not come back afterwards, we lose out on potential revenue, and its alot of work for us! As such we take downtime seriously.
    And so does Fasti - he called out several days ago asking for the downtime to be rolled into this mornings downtime or delayed until Thursday as he foresaw the same concerns you all do (Gems, etc).

Anytime we need to schedule downtime, theres a core group that discusses the specifics. We weigh what we are doing in the downtime and the various risks. Some of the things we take into consideration:
    1. The length of each task, and the buffer required
    2. The risk of each item
    3. How long it takes to validate the item
    4. Can the items be done in parallel or consecutive to other tasks?
    5. The stakeholders required to be on hand to complete the task
    6. The stakeholders required to be on hand if something goes wrong (these can be out of our control, we work with external teams too!)
    7. The potential downtime to correct the issue should something go wrong, and how that would affect our peak times for players online (Friday updates are rare for a reason - they are very stressful)
    8. Any many more...

When planning the downtime for tomorrow - given the above - we decided to keep it separate from the updates this morning.

I know this dosent give specifics, but hopefully it gives you some insight into the decision making process for scheduling downtime (and to reassure you we do discuss things like this!)

Thanks!

--Phantasie
    Thanks for trying to bring us into the loop Phantasie. Hopefully the servers aren't down too awful long, it takes a LONG time for us patron users to get all 6 of our lust boxes each week.

Keep up the good work adding new features. PS move progression patch to the front of the line

Quote Originally Posted by Fasti View Post
    They are still broken in Shadow Towers. We'll have a fix for that in our May update. Sorry for the long wait.
    It's not only st I still can't inv people to my club world when I sell stellars I still have to tell them /joinworld they are still broken not just st

+ Reply to Thread