+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trove from USB drive, portable Glyph client.

Question Trove from USB drive, portable Glyph client.

My home is going through some problems, and so I am being made to de-install Trove, but I still want to play the game, as most Trovians should want to. I had an idea to put a Glyph client on my USB drive and play Trove from there on any computer that supports the game, like a library computer or something.

What I'm asking is: Is there a way to put Glyph on a USB drive and be able to play Trove on any computer you plug it in to, and if so, how can I do it?

Yes you can.
    I'm going to assume you've downloaded the Glyph Installer but haven't run it yet.

When you do run it...
    The first thing that pops up is the EULA and the option to change the install location.
    Click change and simply find your USB drive, click it once to highlight it, and then click 'Select Folder'
    Trove will install, by default, in the Glyph folder so you don't need to change anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Fight_Me_IRL View Post
    Yes you can.
    I'm going to assume you've downloaded the Glyph Installer but haven't run it yet.

When you do run it...
    The first thing that pops up is the EULA and the option to change the install location.
    Click change and simply find your USB drive, click it once to highlight it, and then click 'Select Folder'
    Trove will install, by default, in the Glyph folder so you don't need to change anything else.
    You can do that with just about any application, but that doesn't make them "portable". Glyph also stores data in other parts (user profile, etc). That and possibly registry edits will hinder the mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennry View Post
    You can do that with just about any application, but that doesn't make them "portable". Glyph also stores data in other parts (user profile, etc). That and possibly registry edits will hinder the mobility.
    I'm simply offering the solution that let me plug and play from my desktop to laptop for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fight_Me_IRL View Post
    I'm simply offering the solution that let me plug and play from my desktop to laptop for this game.
    That answers one of the hurdles: Will it just write the needed data when launched? Yes. That might be an issue for the likes of library computers.

Unfortunately for the OP, most larger games work this way and thus limit them from working as they (the OP) want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennry View Post
    That answers one of the hurdles: Will it just write the needed data when launched? Yes. That might be an issue for the likes of library computers.

Unfortunately for the OP, most larger games work this way and thus limit them from working as they (the OP) want it to.
    It will try to install any components missing from the machine you're trying to play on.
    For example, with I first tried on my laptop it had to install whatever version of DirectX was needed.
    And yes, it also writes a new registry entry on the local computer under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\M icrosoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Glyph Trove

While I understand a lot of games can't do this, we're not worried about most games, we're talking Trove.
    This solution should work anywhere that doesn't have some sort of domain/group policy restricting user rights, or a network blocking access to any of the serveral IPs Trove/Glyph communicate with.

Okay, so since the data is stored in the cloud I guess I could install Glyph from the setup on the USB when first I run it on the library computer. I'll try to report back once I do so.

My parents don't know about Glyph, they think it is Steam based, so I'll play on my PC when I can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Avetho View Post
    Okay, so since the data is stored in the cloud I guess I could install Glyph from the setup on the USB when first I run it on the library computer. I'll try to report back once I do so.

My parents don't know about Glyph, they think it is Steam based, so I'll play on my PC when I can manage.
    As long as you can get it installed and running from the USB drive once you should be ok after that. Good luck.

There are a few services out there where you can install games on the cloud and stream them to any device, however they all cost money.

My bigger concern though is this sounds like your parents don't want you playing games, possibly do to bad grades or an addiction problem. Addicts will try to find any way possible to get their fix, which this sounds like, and because of that I don't think we would want to encourage you to indulge. You need to listen to your parents or reach out to an adult you can trust and confide in. These forums are not the place for that.

IGN: SummerHaas Discord: Summer#9392 Laezaria Leadership Team
    Chaos Chests & Other Useful Info | Crystal Gear Stats | Forging Calculator | Tomes Calculator | YouTube | Trovesaurus Profile
    Free Class Coin for new players Enter code: D2Z7K6TQX6ZE3PNF66GE

Quote Originally Posted by Summer Haas View Post
    My bigger concern though is this sounds like your parents don't want you playing games, possibly do to bad grades or an addiction problem. Addicts will try to find any way possible to get their fix, which this sounds like, and because of that I don't think we would want to encourage you to indulge. You need to listen to your parents or reach out to an adult you can trust and confide in. These forums are not the place for that.
    I disagree. Not everyone who wants to play a game the portable way is an addict. Assumptions got no place here, so I'd recommend helping OP out regardless.

Another thing to note is that parents should've been prepared for this. (another thing to note is that we shouldn't even be judging random people who we don't know anything about)
    My content:
    ✅ Masked Mercenary [Rampage Datastreamer] costume: http://forums.trovegame.com/showthre...r-(Neon-Ninja)
    ✅ Paranormal Pupkin ally: http://forums.trovegame.com/showthre...anormal-Pupkin
    ✅ Terraria's Astral Plane mod: https://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...l-plane.69226/

+ Reply to Thread