+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A Guide to VFX

Quote Originally Posted by FriedSushi View Post
    I think I caught some of that at least xD. I have fun making the mounts/costumes but when it comes to effects... Bleh! Lol. Just not something I generally enjoy doing, but I'm trying to learn anyways. I understand most of what you were saying, but how would I go about making my custom textures into a .dds file?
    When I made the footprints for my dragon mount, I had to hand draw them to get something even close to a dragon footprint. Once i had an idea of what I wanted it to look like, I used Gimp and made a 256x256 image with background transparency. And then used the pencil to draw the image I need. and the bucket to fill it in (I've noticed that all textures are colored white on a transparent background. I don't know why, but just to be safe, I followed that theme). Once i have the image I want, i just click on the "export as" and then after the file name, i type .dds for the extension.

Oh! One thing to note, to use Gimp to make a dds file, you DO need to download a plugin because it doesn't support dds files by default.
    Anyway...
    Once you export that image as a DDS file you can put it in the project folder and it should work. (Just.... don't make the same mistake as me... I forgot to include the texture for the ice dragon mount in the mod itself at first so people who downloaded it got black squares for footprints... *facepalm*)
    I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

3124 S'mores Lane, Chocolate Falls, Candoria 11389
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougarkillz View Post
    When I made the footprints for my dragon mount, I had to hand draw them to get something even close to a dragon footprint. Once i had an idea of what I wanted it to look like, I used Gimp and made a 256x256 image with background transparency. And then used the pencil to draw the image I need. and the bucket to fill it in (I've noticed that all textures are colored white on a transparent background. I don't know why, but just to be safe, I followed that theme). Once i have the image I want, i just click on the "export as" and then after the file name, i type .dds for the extension.

Oh! One thing to note, to use Gimp to make a dds file, you DO need to download a plugin because it doesn't support dds files by default.
    Anyway...
    Once you export that image as a DDS file you can put it in the project folder and it should work. (Just.... don't make the same mistake as me... I forgot to include the texture for the ice dragon mount in the mod itself at first so people who downloaded it got black squares for footprints... *facepalm*)
    Well that's mighty helpful, thank you Cougar! I use Gimp, so I'll make sure to download that plugin and try it out when I'm feeling brazen.

thanks! I needed this

Quote Originally Posted by Cougarkillz View Post

Anyway...
    Yep! Gimp works well, and I use Paint.NET, which works well too Paint.NET doesn't require a plugin for DDS saving, but it's also not as versatile as Gimp. I'm not any good at the image design stuff, though, so I stick to the simple things.

Thanks for the guide. I figured most of this out myself, but I was always afraid to add new CParticleEvolver_Field and stuff since I was new to it. The main thing I need to figure out is the custom shapes, but from comments so far I am going to try and wing it.

We need more guide like this. Really helpful

Quote Originally Posted by FriedSushi View Post
    I think I caught some of that at least xD. I have fun making the mounts/costumes but when it comes to effects... Bleh! Lol. Just not something I generally enjoy doing, but I'm trying to learn anyways. I understand most of what you were saying, but how would I go about making my custom textures into a .dds file?
    Cougar pretty much got it, but you can also use Photoshop (What I did for the footprint I made for your Ram mount). Theres a Nvidia plugin you can download for Photoshop that lets you export the images as .dds. I personally prefer Photo over Gimp but thats just preference, if you already use Gimp then get Gimp's plugin. You want to have the actual image of the particle/vfx whatever itself in white, on top of a transparent background. This is the image I drew for your Ram footprints:

When you export it as a .dds, just throw it in Trove's "Textures" folder, can be found in Trove > live > particles > VFX > Textures and it should just work. You may have to resize it which is covered in this guide. And well.. thats pretty much it for making custom textures.
    IGN: Celeress
    Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/celeress
    My latest mod: Battle Banner Sage
    Referral Code: YCCR-JL2Q-D7TH-79DE-WZK6
    Mastery level: 200
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpntug View Post
    we want to ease into the idea like an old man into a tub

This guide is extreme helpful, thanks a lot!

And I have 2 quesion about Candy Barbarian's VFX.

1. Is it possipledo to change the big icecream animation of their ultimate? (seems like it's not really part of texture)

2. Is it possiple to change the looking of healing/sour candy? (Agnain, I can't find them in texture folder)

Quote Originally Posted by Leeon1234 View Post
    This guide is extreme helpful, thanks a lot!

And I have 2 quesion about Candy Barbarian's VFX.

1. Is it possipledo to change the big icecream animation of their ultimate? (seems like it's not really part of texture)

2. Is it possiple to change the looking of healing/sour candy? (Agnain, I can't find them in texture folder)
    The Ice Cream Cone on the CB Ult is actually a blueprint, it's called "C_P_ice_crom_cone.blueprint"
    As for the candies dropped when using abilities.. like the healing candy etc. Those should also be blueprints, I just don't know what they're called
    IGN: Celeress
    Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/celeress
    My latest mod: Battle Banner Sage
    Referral Code: YCCR-JL2Q-D7TH-79DE-WZK6
    Mastery level: 200
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpntug View Post
    we want to ease into the idea like an old man into a tub

Quote Originally Posted by Celeress View Post
    The Ice Cream Cone on the CB Ult is actually a blueprint, it's called "C_P_ice_crom_cone.blueprint"
    As for the candies dropped when using abilities.. like the healing candy etc. Those should also be blueprints, I just don't know what they're called
    Power up candy from the barbarian:
    powerup_candy_health.blueprint
    powerup_candy_rage.blueprint

for those are wondering about the ice chunk of the ice sage:
    C_P_ice_chunk.blueprint

Yes.. they are very consistent with the file name /sarcasm
    Gamer, Creator and Trove Streamer: www.twitch.tv/ocgineer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast