+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lets Make Fishing More Fun!

Lets Make Fishing More Fun!

OK this isn’t a problem specific to TROVE but to all MMORPGs that have fishing in them… Its friggin boring…there has to be a way to make it more fun/ interesting for the player. In the spirit of TROVE I think it could be more to be a more social experience as well. I have a few broad suggestions that are all basically in the same vein of gamifying the fishing experience more. A few suggestions….

1. Fishing mini game,
    This is borrowing a page from Rune Scape’s playbook somewhat and their Trawler Mini Game. In RS players board a boat and have to work together using pumps, patching holes, and fixing nets to keep the boat from sinking and catching fish during a 10ish min voyage. The better they do, the more fish a party is awarded. I think the fish the party gets are RNG but somewhat related to their fishing level (RS specific mechanic).

Obviously you couldn’t just copy this for Trove but some kind of multiplayer PvEnemy or PvEnvironment mini game could make fishing a bit more fun! An issue I see with this immediately is that players would have low incentives to queue for this fishing mini game in TROVE, not the case in Rune Scape where fish are much more important economically and in combat. One way to incentivize players would be to include an RNG chance at the dragon frags normally found in drowned worlds to encourage play or to somehow make fish more important to the TROVE universe.

2. Underwater Dungeons
    Aside from Drowned Worlds and occasional lost isles biomes, large water sections in normal Uber Worlds are kinda just big things that I must fly over to get somewhere else. It could be possible to use this space by having deep sea dungeons spawn on the ocean floor with fish/aquatic themed enemies in them. The chest at the end of the dungeon could be a kind of fish cage where you get random fish drops for breaking it. Im not sure this is practical in Lava/Chocolate but would work in water. Again the RNG possibility of getting one of the drowned world dragon frags from doing these would be a nice incentive to slowly float around under the water, or maybe the possibility of outright finding a dragon inside of one of the dungeons would be enough to get players exploring the ocean floor.

I don’t think TROVE needs to desperately change fishing but I think the player experience around it and its role in the game can be changed for the better. Thoughts?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    I almost always have a giveaway going! My Current Active Giveaway is a $25 amazon giftcard!

Trove IGN: PlagueTV (Mastery 320+)
    I stream! Twitch.tv/PlagueTV
    I love Twitter! @Plague_TV

Under Mastery 20? Click this for a free class coin .... and it helps me out too (yay referral codes!)

I would love to see a group fishing system implemented into the game with meaningful rewards to give people a reason to put time into catching fish over grinding for gems or flux.

Most people avoid trying to go for the 15,000 Total Fish Caught badge because the most interaction you get from it is pressing the F key twice within ~25 second intervals. This is hardly interesting and should seriously be reworked not only to be more fun and worthwhile, but to also be more complicated than what fish botters are capable of imitating.
    IGN: Hexion Club: Nihility
    Mastery Points: 86,000+
    Fish Caught: 56,700+

For the fish dungeons they have done fish in boxes with the plasma fish once before so it is very possible.
    ( 'v') <(if under 20 mastery and want class coin) 20/30 ( 'v')<(forum image upload help) ( 'v')<(returning player info) ( 'v')<(if game bug report it and if brakes bad submit ticket) ( 'v')<( trove giveaways occasionally happen here but more frequent in Trovsaurus)

Why not make the fishing time random, like 10-20s? i think this would even help against bots...
    Also adding more (many more) types of fish (and junk) with new kinds of loot would be cool. Just imagine loot collecting a pearl or a treasure chest from some kind of rare fish.

I want to say that my all time favorite fishing ever as a system that no longer exists, so I want to throw this in here.

FF 11 used to have a fishing system that would allow you to fish up MONSTERS that would attack you immediately. about 90% of them were pretty much just basic mobs (usually crabs) that you whack a few times and just go back to fishing. It ****ed over bots, disrupting their programming by making them unable to re-initiate fishing due to taking damage, and it was a fun little system for the players to handle as sometimes the monsters dropped stuff that could be used for crafting.

In specific places, you could also fish up rare monsters or BOSS monsters that had different conditions set to beat. Trove does not have the instance that caused FF 11 to remove this part of the fishing system (a small boat used to cross continents in FF11 was a popular fishing spot but it also got trolled by people fishing up bosses and hiding so they killed everyone else fishing legitimately), so I'd like to see something like this come about. You could set it up so unique monsters could be fished up specified by biome, and could be a setup for more dragons like the Bubble Dragon, if they became based on biome fished rather than straight fishing.

The other thing that FF11 did that I liked (And is bizarrely totally absent from FF14) was they made fishing interactive by simply requiring you to 'pull' the rod in the opposite direction the fish was tugging. You had to fight a fish for about 5 seconds to actually land it, and it tugged in random directions, and the act of 'pulling' was just hitting the opposing directional key on the keyboard.

I am totally not a fan of one button fishing. I dont want it to be super complicated either, but Trove currently has the most boring fishing system I've had to deal with, and it makes me sad considering Trove has continued to be full of potential and joy.
    Knight : 22/7.6 Guns : 18/5.9 Fae : 30/8.9 Draco : 30/10.8 Neon : 20/7.9 Barb : 20/6.8 Sage : 19/6.6 Hunt : 30/8.6 Pirate : 30/12.4 Boom : 30/15.2 Tomb : 30/13.8 Lunar : 17/6.9 Rev :17/6.6 Chloro : 30/18.5 Dino : 17/7.2 Vang : 0/0

Oh yeah in soul captor with fishing you could pull put a fish boss which if don't push a button in time you'll get attacked. Bots would slowly die to this in this game
    ( 'v') <(if under 20 mastery and want class coin) 20/30 ( 'v')<(forum image upload help) ( 'v')<(returning player info) ( 'v')<(if game bug report it and if brakes bad submit ticket) ( 'v')<( trove giveaways occasionally happen here but more frequent in Trovsaurus)

+ Reply to Thread