+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: Watch Out for Scammers

Angry Watch Out for Scammers

Hello fellow Trovians,
    I was trading a Writings of Wonder for a Golden Wisdom Egg in Trove. I put my tome into the trade menu and clicked the "lock in" button. Once the scammer put the egg into trade, he also locked in and I accepted. The person then added more random stuff along with the egg, almost as if he was trying to make sure that I stay locked in to the trade. Once I accepted a second time, I got kicked from the world he invited me to. He had a second person in his club which I believe to be the one who kicked me which could have been an alt since the kick was almost instantenous after the trade "went through". Once I got kicked, I lost my tome that I was trading and didn't get the egg. I also didn't get the resources he "gave" me. *Please do not blacklist clubs or players on these forums* This was very frustrating. Me and some of my friends tried to recreate it in every way possible to figure out what had happened, but with no luck, it did not work. I will not leak his name, but please be careful when making a large purchases from low level/PR players, especially if its offered at a very low price. The egg he was selling was worth 1 million flux, while he was selling it at 500,000. This is something to be very wary of.

EDIT: OP has sent a ticket to Trion, as well as many others. This is just a pre-warning for those who participate in trade chat.

I can vouch for this. I have also seen posts in other club discords by different people who stated that they have also been a victim to this scam. It's also a bit difficult to realize it is a scam until it happens because it is all in one trade. For those who were wondering, this scam is SIMILAR to the trade-scam-exploit a long time ago, but not the same. The item the victim lost is not invisible, and this was tested by filling entire inventories to make sure the item wasn't just hidden (other measures were taken too such as trading, re-enacting the scam, switching worlds, relogging, and m2'ing everything into a personal chest).

Please be careful of this.

It is also speculated that since re-enacting the scam was not possible, that external exploits may have been used such as scripts (very possible) or some sort of hack. As soon as I joined the world while some other player was trading with the scammer (I also know of this person, but can't say his name due to forum rules), I was kicked instead of the other player, leading me to the conclusion that there may be some sort of script involved. The scammer also had a second person involved, but it was probably just an alt or an accomplice.
    RECRUITING: THE NORTH & FAZ ESSE || MASTERY: 430+ || Be wary of this scam/exploit!

To add on to what Vulant said, the second player had been there the whole entire time. He was there from the time I was scammed until the original scammer logged off.

OP almost got scammed again, it seems like there are more players finding out about this scam/exploit and are using it to their advantage. The problem is starting to become widespread.

If the person you're trading with tries to add in extra bs items, exit the trade immediately. This is one of the biggest signs that they are trying to scam you. Another sign is that they invite you to some private club world with barely any players in it but one other "alt" that is nearby the trading post.

If anyone has also been a victim to this or has witnessed it, please share your story here. I think this needs a lot more attention as a precaution.
    RECRUITING: THE NORTH & FAZ ESSE || MASTERY: 430+ || Be wary of this scam/exploit!

Quote Originally Posted by Vulant View Post
    OP almost got scammed again, it seems like there are more players finding out about this scam/exploit and are using it to their advantage. The problem is starting to become widespread.

If the person you're trading with tries to add in extra bs items, exit the trade immediately. This is one of the biggest signs that they are trying to scam you. Another sign is that they invite you to some private club world with barely any players in it but one other "alt" that is nearby the trading post.

If anyone has also been a victim to this or has witnessed it, please share your story here. I think this needs a lot more attention as a precaution.
    Do they fill up the trade screen with bs items? I wonder if there is a way to break the max number of items in the trade glitching the trade so the victim does not get the items. seems part of the exploit

Quote Originally Posted by Vulant View Post
    This was the same club that a person invited me to after I advertised for selling a Gryphish. I opened up the trade post and set the Gryphish. They gave me a flux tank, but then started to add more resources. I thought it was very thoughtful of them to give me such things like 20 golden souls and a few penta souls. I locked in after they did, only to have them remove the flux tank and lock in again. I was quick to realize this and cancelled the trade, resulting in a kick. At first I thought there was a glitch with the flux tank, as some people told me that there was said glitch and that I should NOT accept trades using flux tanks and accept those with raw flux only.

Be wary of this club when trading, as I was lucky to evade their scam.

While in the club in the trade window, once they see what they want, they estimate the amount of time it'll take them to clear out their trade window and kick you from the club world. During that time, the trade window remains open, they clear out their trade window and click accept and the trade goes through with them giving you nothing. This works because the trade window thinks something is still going while you're changing/loading into a new world/the hub.

I think it's more of an exploit in how changing maps works rather than a hack or a script. So my suggestion is if you wind up in this scenario and notice you're kicked from a club during a trade, immediately hit space and esc to try and kill the trade window. I don't know if it'll work though.

The best solution, at this time, is to avoid the scam by not being kickable. Do this by doing your trades in the hub.
    Reason, logic and evidence are not considered trolling, and cry bullies are a thing that exist. I'm old enough that I remember when trolling meant that you were trying to irritate someone to get a rise out of them, like an older sibling picking on the younger one to get them to scream and cry. Today, "Trolling" has seemingly been redefined to mean that you disagree with someone and you can use facts, logic, reason and evidence to back up your claims and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcMann View Post
    While in the club in the trade window, once they see what they want, they estimate the amount of time it'll take them to clear out their trade window and kick you from the club world. During that time, the trade window remains open, they clear out their trade window and click accept and the trade goes through with them giving you nothing. This works because the trade window thinks something is still going while you're changing/loading into a new world/the hub.

I think it's more of an exploit in how changing maps works rather than a hack or a script. So my suggestion is if you wind up in this scenario and notice you're kicked from a club during a trade, immediately hit space and esc to try and kill the trade window. I don't know if it'll work though.

The best solution, at this time, is to avoid the scam by not being kickable. Do this by doing your trades in the hub.
    This is interesting, though I wonder how they manage to keep the trade window open long enough for them to remove everything before kicking you, because as many have witnessed, they don't see the other person removing the items. Had the scammers not put any extra bs items in, it's almost impossible to tell whether or not they are scamming you.

I haven't heard any word back from Trion about the tickets sent, I really hope they look into this before it gets way out of hand. I just saw someone else reporting in recently about them getting scammed as well.

Due to not trading very often (like once every few months), i was scammed as well
    However, i didn't notice the other person (X) filling up his whole side of the trade window - there seemed to be 1 or 2 spots left in the second line...
    And I didn;t notice them removing any items - both sections were locked up and everything was in place, the flux tanks as well, only after i accepted i got kicked like 0,5 seconds after and didn't have only the tanks, so i can't tell what happened to them...
    When it comes to tickets - they do acknowleadge the problem, but they won't reply with the results of the investigation, so you really don't know whether something is going to happen or not.

10.   This is the last Trove Team post in this thread.   #10
    Hey there,

We want to keep the forum thread visible so players can see the info, but we need to make sure it avoids "naming and shaming" so we edited out the name of the Club mentioned.

When you're going to do a trade be sure to check what items you are posting and what items they are posting before accepting. If they change the items you will have to lock in again before the trade can go through. They are counting on you spamming the trade button so you can't see what items they are trading.

Attempts to scam other players will result in consequences for those who engage in this behavior. Don't report them on the forums, instead, submit a ticket and provide the player's name and any other pertinent into. We will never tell you whether or not we have taken action against a specific account, but us being unwilling to break the privacy of any player does not mean action is not being taken.

Yes, players can be (and have very recently been) banned for engaging in this kind of scam.
    Steve "Fasti" Haines
    Community Manager, Trove
    Follow me on Twitter!

Read our forum rules before posting, please! |Looking for help? Contact our support team! | Found a bug? Follow these steps to report it and we'll fix it ASAP!

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

+ Reply to Thread