+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: Please define Trove~

Red face Please define Trove~

A simple thread where each player can give their opinion & perspective on how they perceive Trove.

When I started Trove in Dec. 2014...

This video made me completely hooked on the game.

Back then, I thought the game was all about "Adventure, Create & Explore" & that it would keep those things as the focus of the game.

For me, Trove was a Cooperative / Sandbox / MMO.

Today, August 11 2017...

I can barely see the elements that made me hooked to Trove & don't have any reasons to believe that things will change in the right direction.

For me, Trove is a Competitive / Action / RPG / MMO.

I login everyday as a habit & mostly enjoy the social elements of the game. I barely do my daily cubits but still make time for a weekly ST run with alts. Guilty pleasure >.<

P.S. I'm wondering if some of us still consider Trove a sandbox game & for what reason(s)? Please share & comment.

Siimon
    ^.^/

EDIT: Let's try to include some good & bad sides to each post in hope of making this thread more objective.

An addiction is what I see this as. A bad habit? I don't get nearly as much enjoyment from the game as I did, it's only the community that has me sticking around.
    I really wish it wasn't because I saw so much potential when I first started playing.

Just my opinion. Doubt I'm going to stop playing anytime soon though.
    Stay Awesome,
    -DragonCoffee (IGN)
    Discord: DragonCoffee#9172
    Have a great suggestion for Trove? Check if it's been suggested before on my Main Suggestion List! The ultimate suggestion consolidation thread project!
    (A full list of every suggestion for Trove posted by anyone!)

Trove went well in beta .. until this happened . It kept going but a wrong turn was inevitable .

Trove was like a cake .
    When made it shaped up as something nice and promising .
    Stronger funding/tastier ingredients were not available so it failed to contain enough unique features .
    Too few cooks made the making slow .
    Weak oven failed to get it done right .
    Poor fridge can barely keep it right .
    You cannot change the cake now .
    You can only make small modifications that would help sell it better .
    It's an average indie cake .

I'll post some bonus quotes :
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    When I started trove in october 2014 I had hopes that this game would outpace Minecraft by having mmo single mega server features .

But the reality was/is that this game never left the beta / Indie game feel . 10 or so devs on it since closed beta . The funding for this game was weak , with so and so marketing . This game did not exist on youtube , or at least had a video with over 10k views (it would be a few years later when a big channel like IGN would make a video on it's current problematic state and review it with a 5/10 . Video was taken down later ) . This game was never projected as a massive flagship in any way .

Since lauch everything slowed down even more . Trove creations (the driving trove content supply) went dead for a year . Game servers started to struggle and bugs went unfixed for years . Many game features got delayed or eventually cancelled .

The game then ultimately lost it's identity . It did not know whether it wanted to remain a casual care free social building game , or then an adventure rouge-like ,or then a pvp multiplayer game , or then a raid driven rng gear mmo , or now a mount collector game .
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    But what's currently happening :
    - In Trion's eyes , Trove is a success . Another finished game added to their Glyph mmo list . They moved on now to add another (Alpha Reactor) . It's what they do . They do not make AAA games or one hit wonders (except maybe Rift) , they make smaller mmo projects and focus on quantity . Even up to 2k players per mmo is fine enough for them . It's the reality of the mmo business these days .

You may notice it as there are more then a few hints to it :
    - Countless patches with only chaos chests rotations
    - Great slowdown in new content since launch
    - 1 year death of trove creations
    - Endless delays of most asked for features like Club 2.0 , plasma fishing , ring forging , underground update , sky realm update etc etc ..

Trove is in a semi-maintenance mode now . This will not change , so take what you get and what you can from Trove as it is .
    In short : trove hit it's peak/potential in beta , it's in semi-maintenance mode , full focus on income generating features to keep it running .
    Trove is an action/grind mmo with minor sandbox, building and rouge like features .
    Giving Free Class coins through refer a friend
    Scythe : ✎ At the moment, this is my all time favorite dungeon in Trove . - I'm honored you like it :3

I think this Thread is gonna be deleted, but here are my two cents.

The Beta was the peak, now they tried to get the biggest audience while trying to keep the old players. The new guys joined because of how the game is and the old players just stay bc of the nostalgia. Ive quit and i cant say that i regret the decision. I have a strong feeling that this game will never go back to what its best at. Being a casual, social mmo with a sandbox feel to it. Now they just have this playerbase which is divided into 10% veterans, 80%new age players, and 10% casuals. The new guys are there for the grind. And they need to please the new guys to keep the game barely alive.

How sad that ill never be able to enjoy my most favourite game ever again.

Heres 2 pics that for me define how i see Trove today:

Also

Currently it's mostly an action MMO, with a small extent of sandbox in the building factor.

-----

What hooked me onto Trove never existed in the first place. I came from an advertisement, but it didn't quite have enough details to know just what I was jumping into and I ended up with something completely different. Game changes can't get rid of something that never existed, so I hardly feel like I "lost" anything. Since I joined it feels like things are only getting better.

Currently Trove feels like it has plenty of potential, but is incomplete.

For one, Trove could have more interesting combat and progression. Players prefer to power up new classes by having them leech off their main, combat has little variety (how many different enemy AIs do you actually see in the game? how many do you actually care about when fighting them?) especially later in the game, when you just one-hit everything short of Ultra DotM, and the endgame is largely uninteresting - just do shadow towers and grind dungeons without any care as to what they look like or contain.

Anything except PD/CD/CH on your gems is considered suboptimal on any class except Revenant because there's no actual chance of getting hit. Because everyone uses full damage, everything is killed instantly. Because everything is killed instantly, nobody pays attention to gameplay because it's so easy to work around. Because nobody pays attention to the gameplay, the game becomes boring. Because the game is boring, everyone stops playing the game except for daily/weekly rewards and rants on the forums.

Solution: Add many more enemy attacks and AIs that you actually need to pay some attention to, and either buff enemy damage and nerf player damage massively (would cause heavy imbalance in some cases though, since that would have to be balanced around 20k+ PR to actually change anything), add U10 as soon as possible and give it stats to challenge top-tier players, or both. Oh, and cut the ability to bypass dungeons too.

Then finally Trove might be interesting enough for the gameplay not to cut off entirely once you've reached a reasonable amount of PR.

-----

The building/sandbox aspect could be improved on too, but that's a different topic altogether. Personally I think U10 and upping the combat difficulty should take priority.
    ~~IGN: Spirare~~
    ~~Main class: Dracolyte~~Power Rank: 20,015~~Mastery: 300~~
    ~~Clubs:~~Patagonia~~THE NORTH~~
    ~~Dragons: 15/35 /// 3/3~~

Quote Originally Posted by Spirare View Post

Anything except PD/CD/CH on your gems is considered suboptimal on any class except Revenant because there's no actual chance of getting hit. Because everyone uses full damage, everything is killed instantly. Because everything is killed instantly, nobody pays attention to gameplay because it's so easy to work around. Because nobody pays attention to the gameplay, the game becomes boring. Because the game is boring, everyone stops playing the game except for daily/weekly rewards and rants on the forums.

Solution: Add many more enemy attacks and AIs that you actually need to pay some attention to, and either buff enemy damage and nerf player damage massively (would cause heavy imbalance in some cases though, since that would have to be balanced around 20k+ PR to actually change anything), add U10 as soon as possible and give it stats to challenge top-tier players, or both. Oh, and cut the ability to bypass dungeons too.
    It is partially fault of the community. People like everything easy and spoon fed, to the point that they even condemn devs for bugs/exploits fixing. Remember Flamotron event? The boss had some simple mechanics and pretty much the chat was flooded with "HOW TO KILL RED MONKEY?", "THIS GAME IS BROKEN", "IS THE BOSS BUGGED?".

In my opinion, one of the factors that make majority of players fall into the tunnel vision of "Perfect Gems DMG/CD/CH" is the Death Defy Vial. There is absolutely no reason not to go full offensive stats as you cannot die. Death Defy Vial need to go or at least have internal cool down so that players can start getting out of the tunnel vision of DMG/CD/CH meta and paying attention to the game mechanics.

Once long long ago in a thread for "Define Trove in 1 gif" I used
    because DIGITAL STYLES

It was a different time, before dragons, largely rng based progression, and stagnancy.
    I know at this point I'm an "Old Trovian Fart" who reminisces the good ol' days, If you come intro Trove now, and genuinely like how the game is, I don't blame you! The game is, even now, at its core fun. But I feel that it's largely us older (gamewise) players who feel so vocally about it because we know what Trove was.

I discovered Trove late 2014. While in college I listened to some friends playing it on Teamspeak and wanted to see what it was. And for me what it was was perfect. It had everything I ever wanted in a game. Simple popy graphics, fun gameplay, a balanced focus on adventuring and building alike, an easy to understand style that anyone could just pick up and play, and a wonderful amount of user created content that was ever growing.
    I got very into the game. I dumped most of my spare money into it, I won't go into too many specifics but let's just say the platinum crown has a nice place on my shelf, and put enough time into the game and into so little else that I feel it was a very large part of my dropping out.

And then Dragons happened. The focus of the game went from, at your own pace to YOU MUST PARTICIPATE IN HOURLY CHALLENGES, or everyone will forever be stronger than you, and class focus changed with it from versatility and utility to faster FASTER FASTER. And then with the challenges came the ludicrous amounts of flux that lead to inflation and the current dismal state of the Trovian economy blah blah blah

And then Mantle of Power hit, and obscene amounts of grinding became required to get things that might be what you need, eventually. You could no longer so easily pick up and play any class you wanted, you had to choose 1 and focus on it, or fall behind, and even just one took debatably longer than all of the classes previously took COMBINED.

I saw almost everything good I loved about the game slowly wash away. Promises made years ago were never brought to light. Player cries seemed to fall upon deaf ears. Content uncreated, bugs unsquashed.

What I loved was the variety, the sheer oversaturation of just, THINGS in Trove, some were straight, some were silly, and that was great. You could mosey about adventure worlds and then come back to your club to build around, because it was what you wanted to do, no amount of time wasted by not instead doing something else. If you so wished you could design things, and they might get into the game even if you weren't already popular. I realize that what it was needed more, and there have been every many good changes and additions since then!
    It was a game about only what you wanted to do, without pressure, and it achieved that perfectly.

ALTHOUGH
    The recent murmurings, shifting of upper management whatever whatever seems to seem like at least some things will change for the better. I feel so any ways. New plump, even if it's just filler, content always tickled my Trove fancy.
    And I deeply apologize for the ranty wall, I know nobody actually wants to read all this crap. I just get very, passionate, about Trove, I know what it was, can be, and what I really would love to see it be again. And at times I speak loosely about it in, less than stellar ways. probably why I've been temp banned more than a few times

So with that I address the current future state of affairs,
    with dread, but cautious optimism

fingers crossed this thread doesn't get snipped

I want to like the game, I really do. At the current state, this defines Trove for me:
    http://imgur.com/HCWgXeG

But they say they are working on it so here's hoping. Other then that I think it's mostly mastery grind and stuff with building on the side. I played for a couple months and got all dragons and now I'm taking a break. I've never received any good gems so lost the motivation.

Edit: Tried to embed with img in brackets but failed.

Thank you for the opinions guys/gals & please keep them coming!

I was honestly expecting more positive then negative with the next big update right around the corner.

+ Reply to Thread