Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some good ideas to improve the PTS server after the "already" scheduled RESET.

Some good ideas to improve the PTS server after the "already" scheduled RESET.

Keep in mind that this topic is not to fight or argue about when will be the reset, or if it should or not receive a reset.

I am taking my experience from PTS's servers that i participated testing things i wanted to, and reporting the error's.
    • First of all IT need's something in-game that clearly state's to the players that the server is for testing and the progress will be lost at some point, them schedule a proper reset every 3 or 4 months.

• The server need limitations more than the ones we already have, things that dont need testing should be totaly disabled / removed from the game.

I am talking about all mounts / costumes / everything that was already tested, dont let the PTS server be something like a Barbie testing showroom where you go to see the costumes / mounts.

• To improve the TESTING experience, implement Experience coins / Gem boxes / anything that need to be tested for cubits on the store, i know you may want some data about "drop" rates, but that can be done even if the store sells the itens, you should not limit the testing experience of players that want to test other things and not the drop rate.

Also why testing the "drop" rate of something that can be fixed / changed after it went to live or just making a pool on the PTS forum for people argue about material costs and other things.

• Lock Market place and Trading on PTS, these two features have no bugs and dont need to be tested.

• Disable Contests / Leaderboards unless something new on it need testing.

• I would say to increase the requeriments to enter the PTS server, but if everything i already suggested is implemented, PTS will be a "HELL" to anyone that dont want to use it to test things that need testing.

I know that most of these things would require the PTS to have different lines on the codding if you compare with the LIVE server, and it could make coding the new patch's a litte more hard, but that would make the PTS testing experience a little more helpful to both sides, and decrease the burden on actual testers.

I would say to increase the requeriments to enter the PTS server, but if everything i

That should be on top 1

You have to leave everything enabled because you don't know what glitches may exist. You don't know if a costume will glitch on a certain player class. You don't know if a costume will suddenly glitch when a player is on a certain mount. If a once unglitched item could be guaranteed 100% to forever remain unglitched then I could agree with your stance. But as a programmer I can tell you with absolute certainty that is never the case. A test server also allows players to test out how certain items work and look. It isn't just about bug testing. It allows players to test before committing to a purchase or time investment on live.

In my opinion, they should make the requirement for joining PTS 20 mastery rather than level 20 on a character. Mastery is, in a small way, a measurement of how long you've played the game, while getting to level 20 can be pretty easy, and easily managed in an hour or two.
    Cacti are cool. Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhadnar View Post
    First of all IT need's something in-game that clearly state's to the players that the server is for testing and the progress will be lost at some point, them schedule a proper reset every 3 or 4 months.
    PTS has always been a temprarely thing in every game that i played, ppl should understand that.

[*]The server need limitations more than the ones we already have, things that dont need testing should be totaly disabled / removed from the game.
    Gliches and bugs can apear everywhere so it's best to keep as much enabled as possible.

I am talking about all mounts / costumes / everything that was already tested, dont let the PTS server be something like a Barbie testing showroom where you go to see the costumes / mounts.
    Yes these items can also get bugs/gliches so they need to be tested.

[*]To improve the TESTING experience, implement Experience coins / Gem boxes / anything that need to be tested for cubits on the store, i know you may want some data about "drop" rates, but that can be done even if the store sells the itens, you should not limit the testing experience of players that want to test other things and not the drop rate.
    Wut? They're working on char copy from live, that should be more than enough.
    If someone has a low lvl char then he/she didn't play that class so that person has less chance to regonize a bug from normal gameplay.
    Same with gemboxes, no need for that when you can get your live characters, it's testserver not personal test to see what class is better for me when i max out all of it server...
    Just some goody boxes like last year with mantle of power testing should be more than enough if they notice that players lack certain items and/or need more testing for certain items.

Also why testing the "drop" rate of something that can be fixed / changed after it went to live or just making a pool on the PTS forum for people argue about material costs and other things.
    Testserver is here to prevent fixes/changes on live lol
    If some drops is too low or material costs are too high ppl will speak up, no need to worry about that, i just hope that ppl will also speak up when the drops are too high and/or material costs are too low.

[*]Lock Market place and Trading on PTS, these two features have no bugs and dont need to be tested.
    Also bugs/gliches possible in this part of the game so this shouldn't be removed.

[*]Disable Contests / Leaderboards unless something new on it need testing.
    Also bugs/gliches possible in this part of the game so this shouldn't be removed.

[*]I would say to increase the requeriments to enter the PTS server, but if everything i already suggested is implemented, PTS will be a "HELL" to anyone that dont want to use it to test things that need testing.
    No need, if they can get character copy from live working then there will be no need for this, you can start testing where you left on live servers, no need to exclude some playes from this because those lower lvls need to be tested too.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDj View Post
    In my opinion, they should make the requirement for joining PTS 20 mastery rather than level 20 on a character. Mastery is, in a small way, a measurement of how long you've played the game, while getting to level 20 can be pretty easy, and easily managed in an hour or two.
    Uh, getting to mastery 20 only takes a couple hours, too. Perhaps they should raise it to at least one level 30 class or mastery 100+...
    Woo, husband of AJo | Mastery: 700+ | President of Garden of Wool | Alpha - Knight Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadEye View Post
    Uh, getting to mastery 20 only takes a couple hours, too. Perhaps they should raise it to at least one level 30 class or mastery 100+...
    Yeah, I suppose. Those ones sound better, it'd be nice if PTS was more of an exclusive place for dedicated players rather than a place for people to get nice mounts and take up space.
    Cacti are cool. Yeah.

My last MMO also had working lockboxes. An upgrade meant that a 1/500 drop (keys were $1.25 each) was reduced to the point that you'd see people getting drops at the same rate as heartaphones being used this past week. I don't understand people being against such things. I mean surely there should be some perks for free labour to entice people to actually test things out?

As for the marketplace working. There was a bug after it had been working where you'd claim your flux and it would just disappear. If you want to lock everything then frankly they should just close the PTS and rely on their own team to find all of the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by fruitie View Post
    My last MMO also had working lockboxes. An upgrade meant that a 1/500 drop (keys were $1.25 each) was reduced to the point that you'd see people getting drops at the same rate as heartaphones being used this past week. I don't understand people being against such things. I mean surely there should be some perks for free labour to entice people to actually test things out?

As for the marketplace working. There was a bug after it had been working where you'd claim your flux and it would just disappear. If you want to lock everything then frankly they should just close the PTS and rely on their own team to find all of the issues.
    Yes, but in that case it makes sense to test it. It's like when they made the chaos chest changes and gave everyone 400 chaos chests everyday over three days so that people could do some quality testing, and it made sense. But when people are against things like the shaper's vision credit packs being unbuyable, I would say that, since they're not making any changes to them, they don't need testing, and if something was wrong with them it would have been noticed by the hundreds of people opening shaper's vision chests on Live.

When a change is made, it needs testing for a while. For example, when the chaos chest change was put onto PTS, it went through multiple changes before the devs had it in a state where it would be acceptable for Live, and few people had problems with it. HOWEVER, for something like free mounts and costumes? How do those need testing? There are going to be many people who have those costumes and mounts on Live servers, and if there were any problems they would have noticed by now. They're not going to get any changes made to them, so why give them away for free? All it does is attract players who are now getting free things.

In the end, it simply boils down to the fact that the devs need money if they want to live their lives as well as improve the game. They wouldn't make any money if everyone just fled to a server where they could get cool-looking stuff for free, and so, in my humble opinion, it's pretty important to restrict players on the test servers to only things that NEED testing, and make it easy for them to test it. For example, when the next power update comes out, they should give people class gem keys so that they can get the new class gems and test them for bugs, as well as make sure it's possible to get them with the keys. But they don't need to give people piles upon piles of free flux, or an inventory full of nice mounts and costumes, because that's irrelevant to the testing.
    Cacti are cool. Yeah.

The best thing I could add to the recommendations already made would be to introduce a bounty program like you have for duplication. With the PTS server having most aspects locked down because it isn't meant to be live, reward us if we can find a flaw within the new update. Giving incentive to test and report bugs would result in a lot more issues being called out before the live update.

I know the end-game idea is that the PTS will be roughly a month ahead of live. The consoles and PC will be on the same build and updates on the server will only be received once a month. We have already seen this happen with your Bi-Weekly updates where we are seeing events and chaos loot change without server downtime. If we can get a better testing server where you can toggle those monthly events on certain days and give us a time period that we can plan on trying to break, things will be caught sooner and issues can be fixed.

IGN: spar13