+ Reply to Thread

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: Regarding Ongoing DDOS Challenges

1.   This is the last Trove Team post in this thread.   #1
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

Regarding Ongoing DDOS Challenges

Hello all,

We know that many of you have recently experienced difficulty connecting to our games over the past couple weeks. Its been disruptive and frustrating we hear you loud and clear. The constant, aggressive onslaught of DDOS attacks against multiple Network providers and here at Trion has been our #1 priority to address. We are and will continue to combat those issues moving forward.

In improving our resilience to these nearly-constant events, weve already taken a number of important steps:
    1. First and foremost, weve been working around the clock with our ISPs to mitigate the major attacks when they happen. Every network provider is being hammered by DDOS attacks, which has caused connectivity issues across the map. Its really unfortunate, but weve been doing our part to help and so have they.
    2. Weve upgraded major components of our network infrastructure. We can't share details at depth here, but we can say that this has improved our ability to address a number of the DDOS issues. Most of you have been playing through dozens of attacks without any degradation in your play.
    3. Weve double and triple checked to ensure that were using best practices to harden our servers against a wider variety of types of attacks, as new ones are constantly being developed and deployed in the wild.
    4. Our Firewalls are kept up-to-date and relevant and weve deployed a significant amount of automation to reduce any possible instances of human error.

The unpredictable nature of DDOS attacks makes it challenging to address in one fell swoop. However, weve already seen a big improvement from these measures. And this is only where we start our network teams are also looking to implement additional, in-house measures in the coming days, and we're working closely with our ISPs to bring even more of their capacities to bear.

We know this is a frustrating issue its frustrating for us too. Please know that we are doing everything we can to mitigate the issues or render them irrelevant to your play.

Thanks very much for your patience.

The Trion Worlds Team

Thank you

You guys don't hear it enough. Thank you. People don't seem to understand what goes on much behind the scenes. Being somewhat of a techy myself I understand what attacks can do to a network. Thanks for doing the best you can despite how many people are being jerks and begging for free stuff. I've spent a little money on the game and I'm nowhere near to demanding anything. I just really want to say thank you for doing the awesome jobs you do!

Do you know what the root cause is? Perhaps one or more angry players? Perhaps malware? Botnet? Something others can look out for? Any information you would have to provide would be helpful.

Thanks for let us know about that, i hadn't idea about what was going on!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowF0x View Post
    Do you know what the root cause is? Perhaps one or more angry players? Perhaps malware? Botnet? Something others can look out for? Any information you would have to provide would be helpful.
    It seems like you are not very familiar what DDoS attacks mean and/or the nature of this whole situation. Those attacks are not directly to Trion but the Internet providers that they use. A DDoS attack is not caused by a virus (malware as you mentioned) but originate on a computer (or a group of computers) that send a massive amount of requests on a server (junk data) with the result of "drowning" the server abd causing it to slow down and be unstable. Such attacks are exceptionally hard to predict anf fight against. So in conclusion, there is no issue on Trion's servers but their network is in a quite bad state.

Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    In improving our resilience to these nearly-constant events, weve already taken a number of important steps:
    1. First and foremost, weve been working around the clock with our ISPs to mitigate the major attacks when they happen. Every network provider is being hammered by DDOS attacks, which has caused connectivity issues across the map. Its really unfortunate, but weve been doing our part to help and so have they.
    2. Weve upgraded major components of our network infrastructure. We can't share details at depth here, but we can say that this has improved our ability to address a number of the DDOS issues. Most of you have been playing through dozens of attacks without any degradation in your play.
    3. Weve double and triple checked to ensure that were using best practices to harden our servers against a wider variety of types of attacks, as new ones are constantly being developed and deployed in the wild.
    4. Our Firewalls are kept up-to-date and relevant and weve deployed a significant amount of automation to reduce any possible instances of human error.

The unpredictable nature of DDOS attacks makes it challenging to address in one fell swoop. However, weve already seen a big improvement from these measures. And this is only where we start our network teams are also looking to implement additional, in-house measures in the coming days, and we're working closely with our ISPs to bring even more of their capacities to bear.

We know this is a frustrating issue its frustrating for us too. Please know that we are doing everything we can to mitigate the issues or render them irrelevant to your play.

Thanks very much for your patience.

The Trion Worlds Team
    Thank YOU very much for the info, we understand that it's really hard to fight this kind of issues and even harder to defeat them. We appreciate all your efforts and that those changes that allowed us to play the game during those issues.

Despacito 2 is the greatest song ever created and my name jeff

Trion, Ever since u guys went to a new host, Trove is been lagging to me so badly over the past week and till now, i just can't play anymore...

And thank you for alerting us.

I would have been a lot more patient if I had known earlier that servers were getting ddosed
    Refer A Friend Code (Free class coin if you are under mastery 20)
    GJJ9PHQLN7JFXEGY6H9F

Quote Originally Posted by SnowF0x View Post
    Does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Najku
    Does it matter?
    Does an almost 2 month necro matter?
    IGN: LeCanardDeBagdad

Main ice sage with 23.6k pr, knight 23k pr. Both built as dps.

There's quite a few times, especially during the day, in which the game is just completely unplayable. You'd be amazed how often I just log in and just sit placed where I am in my club after noticing the insane amounts of rubberbanding and just use the club chat and nothing else. I know it's not the dev's fault, honestly I'd like to see attackers that initiate DDoS attacks to be shot in the back of the head, I'll loan you my gunslinger.

+ Reply to Thread