+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Let’s make adventuring great again!

Let’s make adventuring great again!

As a starter these ideas aren’t too novel but I thought it couldn’t hurt to bring up the concept of improving adventuring in Trove. Also as a disclaimer, I think with any increase in difficulty there should be increased reward. This kind of reward doesn’t necessarily have to be tied directly to the difficulty of the content, i.e. more experience for longer quests, but also could be added indirectly, i.e. if harder mobs get added, rare high reward mobs also get added to the game.

More interesting monsters:

One of the bigger issues I see now is that there currently isn’t a reason not to just try to burst down bosses. I see the problem here as twofold: sub monsters aren’t dangerous and they’re also not rewarding to kill. Overall I think we could use some more interesting monsters here that fill in more niches that make you want to kill them rather than just having range and melee mobs, i.e. support monsters.

I think separating different support types into different biomes that have distinct models since the VFX on bosses for instance really doesn’t differentiate it enough for me. I’ll generally consider this category support even though some of the examples I’ll give ahead aren’t really strictly support.

Here are a few ideas that could correlate with different biomes:
    • Treasure isles: Avian Pirate Engineer spawns cannons
    • Neon City: exploding bot, goes boom
    • Dragonfire peaks: Spark elemental, sets down burning areas
    • Undead: Necromancer, raises mobs
    • Fae enchanter, shields allies

On top of that I’d love to see ‘rare’ reward monsters that spawn in that might have you force you to focus on. Maybe having them spawn in during combat on a timer or potentially having them spawn in on completing certain tasks, i.e. clearing dungeons quickly, could be interesting.

Ideas:
    • Bloated wild piñatas, explodes into a bunch of piñatas.
    • Golems, mining sometimes spawns them out of the ore that you're mining
    • Chaos Pixies, if you kill them they teleport away and give you a temporary buff, i.e. increased exp, magicfind rates, movement speed, or jump
    • Influxed monster, 'golden' version of monster that drops a chunk of flux

More quests!

I think the game would be that much more fun to grind if there were even a few subtle variations of quests added. I think these quests should implemented with rewards according to their difficulty/time, i.e. more loot and experience generally but potentially other rewards could be interesting here.

A few idea for quest types:

Kill as many mobs as you can, the more mobs the more chests that spawn. While pretty similar to quests in game I think a slight shift in focus on the reward based on kills makes this one an interesting concept.

A mob hunt where you try to find kill aura’d mobs in a dungeon. I like this idea because it promotes more of a exploration kind of gameplay that rewards dungeon knowledge.

Loot Tables!

Other then those suggestions I'd personally love to see a bit more biome specific loot tables. Overall I think by having more 'rare' rewards on individual biomes, i.e. mounts/wings/ect, I think it encourages people to start exploring and targeting different biomes. I know with styles before the influx of style unlockers I always had fun narrowing down my adventuring for a time to get some of those biome specific drops. I won't leave any examples here because overall I think it's pretty self explanatory.

Let me know what you guys think of these ideas, while I know that the chance of these concepts getting implemented is rather low I still think having a discussion about semi-reasonable additions and tweaks to the base game is healthy for the game. I'd definitely be curious to see some more ideas tossed out here as well c:
    “Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.”― Mark Twain

JK, I agree...

I think alot of focus on the basis of trove : crafting benches, actual exploring, etc. has just disappeared and now the more "MMO" side of trove has exploded.
    I just stick to modding and stuff :3

~~~~~~| IGN : Bananaboms |~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~| Find me on the Trovesaurus Discord | ~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~| Recently Accepted Mod: [Aura] Musical Melee Aura! |~~~~~~

Hey, Sted!

I love all these ideas that you have brought up. With the release of Trove on consoles very near, I think Trove could take advantage of an update to adventuring. I love adventuring, I could spend hours doing it. It does get boring having to do the same types of quests several thousand times, knowing each time you could get the same reward as you did for the last ones. I want to go out adventuring with a long- term goal in mind and at the same time have some fun doing it. I think the Everdark and the Shadow Dungeons were a great addition to they we can explore a new area and work for something, I feel like it can be done with general adventuring also. These ideas can help the game in the future, when new players that come from different MMO's, they can experience a variety of questing that they have not experienced before. I hope the devs do brainstorm and/or take of the community suggestions to make adventuring better for everyone.

There are some interesting ideas there. Honestly, adventuring gets a little bland as the levels roll on with the same old, same old, so adding some spice and seasoning would go a long way.

I like your ideas of special and rare mobs, as well as dungeon timers that have a bonus event/mob spawn tied to them. I would even go further, a la hourly contests, and have tiers of timer completions. So, for instance, clear a large dungeon in under 5 minutes for a first tier spawn. If that spawn is cleared in under a minute, spawn a 2nd one that is an even harder encounter. Each tier of bonus spawn would drop an extra chest, or at least another gem box. Something like that.

I've seen suggestion threads like this before. I wish they'd get acknowledgment as being read or passed on. IMHO, the community has been trying really hard as of late to try and improve communication, as well as the game. It needs to work both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by bananaboms View Post
    JK, I agree...

I think alot of focus on the basis of trove : crafting benches, actual exploring, etc. has just disappeared and now the more "MMO" side of trove has exploded.
    I just stick to modding and stuff :3
    Yeah, it’s mostly dungeon design but I still enjoy grinding out the base game a fair bit as well. Hopefully we’ll see some more of those crafting/adventure elements, I think the new dragon boss is a good sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by DexaclipseZ View Post
    Hey, Sted!

I love all these ideas that you have brought up. With the release of Trove on consoles very near, I think Trove could take advantage of an update to adventuring. I love adventuring, I could spend hours doing it. It does get boring having to do the same types of quests several thousand times, knowing each time you could get the same reward as you did for the last ones. I want to go out adventuring with a long- term goal in mind and at the same time have some fun doing it. I think the Everdark and the Shadow Dungeons were a great addition to they we can explore a new area and work for something, I feel like it can be done with general adventuring also. These ideas can help the game in the future, when new players that come from different MMO's, they can experience a variety of questing that they have not experienced before. I hope the devs do brainstorm and/or take of the community suggestions to make adventuring better for everyone.
    Great point with the console release! I think it’s the perfect timing to add a few more interesting elements to adventuring just to help boost the experience for those players. But like you said, better adventuring for me seems like a good idea as a whole for all players ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    There are some interesting ideas there. Honestly, adventuring gets a little bland as the levels roll on with the same old, same old, so adding some spice and seasoning would go a long way.

I like your ideas of special and rare mobs, as well as dungeon timers that have a bonus event/mob spawn tied to them. I would even go further, a la hourly contests, and have tiers of timer completions. So, for instance, clear a large dungeon in under 5 minutes for a first tier spawn. If that spawn is cleared in under a minute, spawn a 2nd one that is an even harder encounter. Each tier of bonus spawn would drop an extra chest, or at least another gem box. Something like that.

I've seen suggestion threads like this before. I wish they'd get acknowledgment as being read or passed on. IMHO, the community has been trying really hard as of late to try and improve communication, as well as the game. It needs to work both ways.
    It would be interesting to see some more finite mechanics for dungeons that track ‘how’ you clear them. Time metrics and also things like counting how many of the monsters you killed in the dungeon could be an interesting way to add some more overlapping mechanics to questing as a whole.

I do think the developers are listening to some extent but I’m usually overly optimistic. That said there’s a difference between coming up with an idea and executing it so while some of the things I mentioned look good on paper to me might be different in execution so there might be good reason not to implement some of these suggestions.

more rare encounters! I would love that
    it would make looking more closely at things more fun.
    the new dragon boss is very cool, and I would love more random raritys like that!

it would also go with mindset of adding RNG to thing, because rare encounters are infact RNG.

About the quests and the overlapping mechanics, I can see that working very easily:

You have a mob kill counter and a timer. The faster you finish the dungeon and the more mobs you kill, the better the loot. BUT, to make sure people don't exploit this, you can only use this mechanic at up two two levels below your currently unlocked tier for your character at that moment, else it just goes back to the old method.

Alternatively, you could have certain mobs tagged as special but not differentiated from the rest. Each one of these mobs you kill increases a counter. And you get the best possible loot if you kill every one of these, although the loot drop rates themselves will be minor improvements at best to prevent farming. (Gotta grind for the eggs now, no?)

A quest system is indeed essential for Trove.
    Along with a fitting lore/story to make NPCs who give quests more interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trion Worlds View Post
    In the future™ Soon™

Quote Originally Posted by NotWhoItSeems View Post
    more rare encounters! I would love that
    it would make looking more closely at things more fun.
    the new dragon boss is very cool, and I would love more random raritys like that!

it would also go with mindset of adding RNG to thing, because rare encounters are infact RNG.
    Yeah, I like the idea of a few more encounters to try to find, even if it’s RNG I think it’s more fun looking for a rare thing rather than hoping that it just drops c:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheoV View Post
    About the quests and the overlapping mechanics, I can see that working very easily:

You have a mob kill counter and a timer. The faster you finish the dungeon and the more mobs you kill, the better the loot. BUT, to make sure people don't exploit this, you can only use this mechanic at up two two levels below your currently unlocked tier for your character at that moment, else it just goes back to the old method.

Alternatively, you could have certain mobs tagged as special but not differentiated from the rest. Each one of these mobs you kill increases a counter. And you get the best possible loot if you kill every one of these, although the loot drop rates themselves will be minor improvements at best to prevent farming. (Gotta grind for the eggs now, no?)
    Yeah, there also might need to be some kind of ‘limit’ as to not give too much of an advantage to veteran players over newer ones. I think that might work in the lower world tiers as well as to ensure that people aren’t abusing it too much.

Definitely love the idea of quests building up though, could be interesting to have the option to ‘cash out’ early as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkD0M1NaNt View Post
    A quest system is indeed essential for Trove.
    Along with a fitting lore/story to make NPCs who give quests more interesting.

I’ve made posts about wanting lore diaries and what not in the past. I think there’s some potential there for some more interesting tidbits of information being passed to us through some sort of questing mechanic for sure c:

+ Reply to Thread