Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Click here to go to the first Trove Team post in this thread.   Thread: [WINGS] Sylvan Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    These are pretty great! I like their simplicity, and the changing colors of the falling leaves are a good creative choice. And I feel your revisions are really on point, too. If you wanted to polish them further, I'd suggest varying the sizes of the leaves on the branches, which would lend additional interest to your design. You may also want to experiment with a simpler shape for the leaves and see if you like that better. These are both very minor critiques, though.

We did tighten the restrictions on VFX submissions last year. Specifically, we disallowed new textures on VFX-based submissions, but it's a restriction I've considered lifting. These particular wings are simple enough that their textures wouldn't be much of a hassle. I usually do revise wings submitted by players, while trying to stay true to the spirit of their concept. This is to ensure that new wings conform to the style of the game.

So no worries, the devs have seen and liked your wings. Awesome work!
    Well, so much for waiting and seeing. TROVE DEV-SENPAI HAS NOTICED ME!!!!

Ahem, I mean...

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. It means a lot to hear from someone at Trion about my mod. I may give your suggestions some consideration, but I do like them as they are now.
    I'm a little confused about disallowing new textures for VFX. Unless I'm misreading something, that significantly hampers creating new stuff, especially wings, as we can see. So, I don't know what to make of that. I assume you know, and that's what matters.

I only claim to be an experienced noob, so if you need to change these wings, be sure to knock the noob out of them. Hopefully that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm so jelly of your VFX skills. Really, I wish I could make things like this.
    IGN: DatGuy80
    Mains: Shadow Hunter, Tombraiser
    Life is easier than you think but harder when you think

Thats a nice creative wings, have u tried to make a costume that match with the wings??

if u make it, it should be nice to see the wings and costume as a autumn pack ^^

Looks nice. Consider me a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by DatGuy View Post
    I'm so jelly of your VFX skills. Really, I wish I could make things like this.
    I said this before when I first made this mod, and I will stand by this as an experienced noob.

Quote Originally Posted by Craftsman42 View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, I had no knowledge of VFX and PopcornFX until a few days ago when I started this, so that was a huge hurdle. Fortunately, there are people here who know what they are doing, and have posted tutorials that I have used. Just start playing around with stuff and eventually, you'll learn. This guide helped me get started: http://forums.trovegame.com/showthre...de-Basic-wings
    Also, working with other wings as a base was one of the greatest assets for making these. I would tell anyone looking to get started with VFX to not be afraid to play around with similar VFX designs and mess around with them to get something that you like.

Quote Originally Posted by AUTE210 View Post
    Thats a nice creative wings, have u tried to make a costume that match with the wings??

if u make it, it should be nice to see the wings and costume as a autumn pack ^^
    There is. It's called the Chloromancer...?

But in all seriousness, I did want to make a set of wings that fit nicely for the Chloromancer, since I didn't really see anything else that did the job. The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by Maruna View Post
    Looks nice. Consider me a fan.
    Thanks. Glad you like them.

6.   This is the last Trove Team post in this thread.   #26
    Developers
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftsman42 View Post
    I'm a little confused about disallowing new textures for VFX. Unless I'm misreading something, that significantly hampers creating new stuff, especially wings, as we can see. So, I don't know what to make of that. I assume you know, and that's what matters.
    That's a fair question. Specifically, it's hard for players to stay within Trove's style when they start with a blank slate. Even I have a rough time. (Voxel art, by its own limiting nature, at least gets you halfway there.) So I was having to redraw a lot of textures on submitted wings, and the time commitment was affecting my schedule negatively.

Part of this was the large backlog of player-submitted wings that was waiting for me when I first started at Trion. Now that those are mostly done, I can own the selection process and accept wings that won't require a lot of tweaking on my end. Primarily, that will include wings with simple shapes and colors, and easily readable concepts.

So, for now, I will lighten up on the "no new texture" restriction.

Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    That's a fair question. Specifically, it's hard for players to stay within Trove's style when they start with a blank slate. Even I have a rough time. (Voxel art, by its own limiting nature, at least gets you halfway there.) So I was having to redraw a lot of textures on submitted wings, and the time commitment was affecting my schedule negatively.

Part of this was the large backlog of player-submitted wings that was waiting for me when I first started at Trion. Now that those are mostly done, I can own the selection process and accept wings that won't require a lot of tweaking on my end. Primarily, that will include wings with simple shapes and colors, and easily readable concepts.

So, for now, I will lighten up on the "no new texture" restriction.
    Well, fair enough then. Hopefully the textures I sent won't cause too much hassle to redraw now that the wings have been approved.

Yep. They've been approved.

Thanks to everyone for your support and suggestions and for putting up with my "being a noob" deal. Sometime in the unspecified future, you, too, can choose to fly with tree branches. It'll be great.

Also AUTE210, I'm sorry if my last comment was a bit rough. I was just trying to make a joke, and I apologize if I offended you.