PDA

View Full Version : Hit Registration Worst than ever

ForsakenHero
04-20-2016, 12:41 AM
I've been playing Boomeranger with sword and noticed 30% of the time hits doesn't register. Also play some as Fae and notice the same issue. Can we get a Dev to comment if they are aware/working on the problem?

Sacrid
04-20-2016, 12:43 AM
happens about 90% of the time on gunslinger when floating above them. That's okay though gunslingers are perfectly capable of taking those melee hits right?

Cytosine
04-20-2016, 12:50 AM
I've been playing Boomeranger with sword and noticed 30% of the time hits doesn't register. Also play some as Fae and notice the same issue. Can we get a Dev to comment if they are aware/working on the problem?

It's absolutely ridiculous how this has been working. If I notice I'm not hitting, I'll release and hold the basic attack again and it'll register.

Disgruntled
04-20-2016, 12:51 AM
"Don't worry. With some really good gems, now you can get your max HP high enough that a few hits here and there won't matter!"

["lol, I told them they could get really good gems to fix things. It'll take them months to get there"]

["We'll break something else before then so they forget to complain"]

Phaerius
04-20-2016, 12:52 AM
I noticed it on every non melee class I played all day. Pirate being the most consistent at actually hitting. I think it might be worse with higher attack speed? My gunslinger got the worst end of this stick whenever I used my ult. Maybe it's due to using abilities while auto attacking and pirates don't spam as many abilities mid attack?

Sacrid
04-20-2016, 01:06 AM
I noticed it on every non melee class I played all day. Pirate being the most consistent at actually hitting. I think it might be worse with higher attack speed? My gunslinger got the worst end of this stick whenever I used my ult. Maybe it's due to using abilities while auto attacking and pirates don't spam as many abilities mid attack?

I get the best results on slinger by sitting on the ground. Floating with your passive makes the problem happen much more frequently.

chimpaznee
04-20-2016, 01:42 AM
I have to agree. This is especially bad with ranged classes and if you strike from above. A lot of time you're clearly hitting the monster/boss but you don't do any damage. The same when breaking chests.

HelixSage
04-20-2016, 05:52 AM
Might be the server acting up due to the amount of players that are joining back on trove to see if it's worth playing again... Don't worry in a few days you will see all those people saying the same thing as you rn and leave, then trove will be back to the same old trove as we know it :D

ForsakenHero
04-20-2016, 06:07 AM
Might be the server acting up due to the amount of players that are joining back on trove to see if it's worth playing again... Don't worry in a few days you will see all those people saying the same thing as you rn and leave, then trove will be back to the same old trove as we know it :D
The problem is that the Hit detection was bad before this. Now its worst. They need to do something about it. Hopefuly we will get a decent response from the Devs. Ask any gunslinger about it XD.

HelixSage
04-20-2016, 06:20 AM
I know the issue has always been around but it always seems to be a lot worse when they have a big update (more players). If memory serves me right they did try to upgrade the servers once but it was still pretty bad :P gg devs upgrade servers plox.

SloWolfe
04-20-2016, 06:24 AM
The funny thing is hit registration is one sided, which is a feat in itself, so even if you can't hit the enemy be sure as hell they can hit you. Ever have a Boomerang bounce off an enemy for no damage and just fly through you on return? I have and boy is it enjoyable. I might just switch to throwing snowballs at enemies as it may do more damage than I currently am.

Fasti
04-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Hey there all,

Since you're reporting that hits aren't connecting, that's a bug report, so I'm moving this thread there. Take a look at the sticky post for additional info, but try to provide whatever specifics you can so we can investigate. (what specific class you were using, what you were fighting, when you were fighting, was it worse in any particular circumstance?)

ForsakenHero
04-20-2016, 08:01 AM
Well it happens a lot with Boomeranger with a sword farming U6/7 but as everyone else knows it happens with all classes and its not anything new it just happen to be worse since MoP. Im guessing is maybe Latency related. Since i never have less than 200 ping. But as sloWolfe stated:"the funny thing is hit registration is one sided, which is a feat in itself, so even if you can't hit the enemy be sure as hell they can hit you." its super weird and makes me think its not all Ping related.Oh yeah it happens at all times for me at random intervals so no help there sorry. Also while farming with Boomer due to nature of the cooldown mechanics im alternating quickly betwen 1, 2 ,right click and left click while moving a lot so maybe that's why it happens?

ForsakenHero
04-20-2016, 08:12 AM
If i had to guess i would say it has to do on how the abilities works cuz if i just plain attack without using abilities it doesnt happens. Maybe ping + abilities cooldowns spamming + Flasks usage and attacking somehow breaks the hit detection but i know little about this subject its just a wild guess. I hope the info i provided helps somewhat.

PS:Anyone reading this thread please post your experience if you have similar problems. Give details so we can help them fix this issue. Thanks in advance.

Phaerius
04-20-2016, 08:24 AM
As forsaken said, the more abilities I use while auto attacking the more likely it is to break the attacks. At that point I can point blank shoot a boss for a full minute and he will take 0 damage. I've been unable to even break chests, hitting them for ~30 seconds or so before jumping around and using abilities to try to fix my auto attack. Seems to get worse if you're firing from above the enemy or a weird angle. Even immobile or giant enemies who are clearly being hit will stop taking damage. It's easy to notice when it happens on pirate because coin generation stops, you don't hear any jangles and you don't get any energy back until you fix it by releasing auto attack or using abilities a few times.

Lethargic
04-20-2016, 08:27 AM
Yes, it is latency related. Ever since this patch i have had 120-180 ping (better than my 200-700 on previous patch) .. still believe i should have 40-90 though, since i'm only a couple states from texas and im on na

Sacrid
04-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Happens on my gunslinger. I'm getting 2 possibly seperate bugs.
1st one is upon starting basic attacks or after using an ability while holding basic attack. The game seems to think that I am just not attacking, no amount of adjusting my aim will cause damage so I don't think it is an issue with hit detection.
2nd one is when attacking from directly above when no other players or minions are present to hold aggro my basic attacks just stop doing damage and I fall into the group from lucky shot not triggering. May or may not be related to the first.

Edit: While a high latency makes the problem occur more frequently it still happens with a low ping as well.

Eloc Freidon
04-20-2016, 02:01 PM
There are instances where holding down the attack shows the bullets flying normally for a few seconds, but then there's a few seconds of nothing only to work properly again for a few seconds more. A lot of it entirely depends what world you are in and how many people are in it.

We need client/server confirmation for if something it.

blacksoul178
04-21-2016, 04:40 AM
im having the same issue, with every character.

id say it misses about 30 % of hits in melee. on my candy barb
ive even had some issues with some bosses in dungeon almost killing me because i was completely unable to damage him i have to move around

ive tryed my fae trickster, wich was able to clear uber 6 fairly easily.
now thought i cant do Sh**. my hits wont register, i see the ennemy "flash" as to show it has been hit but no damage register, vampiric does not trigger .

its realy a pain to play since the new update

Vaqiri
04-21-2016, 09:48 PM
I've also noticed that, on my Boomer, my Boomerang doesn't return back to me properly hardly at all now, or register a hit on a mob when it most definitely DID hit. Really, really frustrating.

TheSchweikster
04-22-2016, 12:06 AM
Oh totally, often none of my gunslingers auto attacks will do any damage. It happens randomly and is super frustrating!

LUCAGRABACR
04-22-2016, 12:53 AM
I can confirm, hit registration with chloro is so bad right now that sometimes my attacks aren't registering at all until I re-push the attack button. And most of the time half of my attacks aren't even registering.

Jon_Falan
04-23-2016, 11:05 AM
I've noticed that hit registration works poorly on every class I've tried so far. For the record, I've used; Revenant, Chloromancer, Gunslinger, Pirate Captain, Knight, Neon Ninja, Candy Barbarian, Boomeranger, and Ice Sage

CaptainSpillion
04-30-2016, 04:16 AM
It is very bad, as in constantly missing shots that should hit, it happens everywhere, from novice up to U7 (highest i currently can do with my pr)

Every enemy i fought doesnt take hits consistently, and its annoying me very much, and others as well, that much is clear

Even more annoying is when i release and reclick the auto attack button, it still doesnt register hits like it should, it might be attack speed related, im currently at 178% without ult and over 300% with it

7thSenpai
04-30-2016, 08:28 PM
Just to put it out there, my average ping is around 180 but sometimes when I do my ultimate on my ninja, the entire 8 seconds of it does not hit. And during that time I can get hit by the mob. So it doesn't seem to be latency but something is buggy like the client is doing one thing and perhaps the server is not registering/acknowledging it.

Reiyn
06-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Same exact thing as everyone else. I'm farming u6 RIGHT NOW and I can notice my dps is lower than it should be, solely due to the fact that my attacks don't register.

And no, I'm not just holding left click. I take time to shoot slow and test the attack registration.

I never cared before. I thought it was lag. But I'm not always rubberbanding.

and on top of that WHAT THE **** IS WITH THE LAG?!!!?!?

Now3852
06-10-2016, 06:50 PM
HA, your complaining about his sword not working, his boomerang doesnt register over 50% of the time for me, I could even stand still, through it and not move, and it wouldn't register most times.

That is worse then sword cause all is skillz depend on boomerang... kinda class breaking imo :(

ThePlayMaker
06-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Here are a few cases of Hit Registration Issues that I've personally experienced. These can sometimes get worse if there are a lot of players around, but I have had it happen when I was pretty much alone in that particular world.

Gunslinger - Attacks seem to hit the enemy client side, and they react to it, however their hp bar does not move at all. Eventually you notice that you've shot an enemy 5 times when they were supposed to die in 2 hits due to your gear. This can sometimes be worsened with his default ultimate (#2 ability). You'll shoot an enemy 10-15 times and you'd be lucky to hit him once or twice.
Fae Trickster - This class is absolutely destroyed by not only the fact that it's super easy to be hit in-game, but also the terrible hit registration with her auto attacks. Since her basic attacks are projectiles with a small radius, it can take a similar number of tries as the gunslinger to hit an enemy, except you don't have an ultimate that increases your attack speed.
Shadow Hunter - Ultimate ability can go right through your target without dealing so much as a point of damage, potentially wasting a flask and a long cooldown. Also post-class gem some of the basic attacks fired seem to bounce off enemies and hit the ceiling, or do no damage, but because of the insane rate of fire, you still end up killing the enemy fast enough that the few hits missed don't affect gameplay that badly.
Quick Edit: Boomeranger - You throw your boomerang at an enemy directly in-front of you and expect it to return and refund a portion of the cooldown? Not today you're not. Nearly half the time I try to utilize this boomeranger mechanic it ends up not refunding any of my cooldowns and I'm basically turned into an auto-attack machine for the rest of the fight.
Pirate Captain - As consistent as the pirate is, there are times I've tried to shoot an enemy, but it does 0 damage when it obviously should have. Turning around very quickly to shoot an enemy is the most reliable method of replicating this issue, but the pirate is the least affected ranged class by hit registration issues.

Melee classes aren't exempt from this list, but hit registration issues happen way less with them, and they're generally more durable than ranged classes anyway.

If there's one thing I'd ever want to see, it's this issue being fixed. Please Trion.

Phlimy
06-20-2016, 06:36 AM
I confirm this is garbage and completely ruins my gameplay. I hate this bug.

RorschachRev
06-21-2016, 07:37 AM
So there are a few possible reasons why this could happen, and lost data packets is one of them. If you hold down left click, but the packets don't arrive, the server doesn't know. This is ping related, but it is the only ping related issue. (e.g. dropped network packets would show with ping tests as well, and running ping -t 8.8.8.8 in a cmd prompt shows your connection to the internet and the Google DNS server.)

The rest of the issues are server side. I talked about different kinds of Lag in another thread http://forums.trovegame.com/showthread.php?101849-Lag and proposed a map loading lag fix that would lower their CPU and network use drastically. @ThePlayMaker keep in mind that a map is not a machine, it is a virtual world running on hardware at a Comcast datacenter. There could be 100 maps running on that same hardware.

I suspect that this issue is linked to high CPU spikes in the servers. With server side physics calculations it is likely that delayed physics calculations are simply dropped. If the calculation isn't done in 50ms, it is probably ignored and the server continues doing other things. Pirate is the least susceptible to this because it is an auto-hit, there are no misses or physics beyond ray tracing line of sight. (Which is inaccurately approximated, sometimes obviously so. I'm going to experiment more to find out where the ray is traced from, top, center or bottom of the first mate.) The pirate gun is more of an AoE than a precision aim, so a different calculation is used and the physics engine isn't.

There are three fixes that need to occur: Trion needs more servers to accommodate more players (more idle cpu = less misses), the projectile physics needs to be rewritten or the API updated, the Trove code and server architecture needs to be updated from minor shard scaling to true MMO scaling (eventually more machines won't help bad design).