PDA

View Full Version : Feedback - Geode Turret Plants

CDM135
05-22-2018, 02:26 PM
As we know, the turret plants spawn in Tier 2 caves and up. The point of them is to create a challenge when gathering. However, they need a serious nerf, or some better ways to deal with them. As of right now, they're more of a nusiance and a rage factor than an effective challenge.

Their aggro range is ridiculous, I've had turrets shooting at me from across other rooms.
The Shield Barrier ability does nothing against the fire they create on the floor. Even digging into a wall can't protect you sometimes, becasue there's a bedrock layer that's unminable.
The Prospecting Platforms are fairly expensive, and give only a brief moment of reprieve.
The Thumper buff is nice, but it's a race before the thumper expires and the plants lob at you and remove your mining ability.
Bomb plants can destroy them, but they're often on the ceiling or wall, out of reach.
Hopping out of your hole to get them to fire elsewhere is tedious and time-wasting.

Some possible changes/counters I've come with are as follows:

*Reduce aggro range
*Make it so that the turrets can only fire if you're in their direct line of sight (No x-ray vision plants)
*Make the Barrier ability work against the fire (or even an upgrade where you're invisible to hostiles)
Reduce the amount of energy they drain
Add a way to destroy or permanently disable the plants (even if it's an expensive item)
A decoy item that they fire at instead, which may also tie in with later combat systems, who knows.

I love the Geode expansion concept, but these plants are my one major gripe so far.

INN3R_C4L4M1TY
05-22-2018, 03:07 PM
I think the best thing would be if the plants could be destroyed by their own fire, especially if there was a way to reflect their attacks, such as naturally occurring mirrors that could be moved like bomb plants can be.

Mandibles
05-22-2018, 03:42 PM
The fire pools also do damage in a sphere pattern despite rendering as a flat circle. I can be two blocks above or below the flat render and I'm still taking damage. It'd be nice for the render to either change to its sphere pattern or properly adjust the levels of damage. Its frustrating to be one block above and to the side of the pool and still be on fire when trying to dodge.

I've also been running into more of the 'x-ray' type, trying to blast holes into obstructions to shoot at me instead of being in actual line of sight. This is just weird.

INN3R_C4L4M1TY
05-22-2018, 03:54 PM
Also, I think that if and only if the devs do add a better way to destroy the plants(preferably using careful positioning and strategy) and make them no longer see through walls, the plants should be buffed to compensate, making the projectiles a bit faster and making them drain gas instead of energy, so they're actually a threat rather than an annoyance. That way, the challenge of plants will be carefully destroying them without getting hit, rather than easily outmaneuvering them and having to move out of your mining spot every once in a while so your omnitool doesn't stop working, giving partially mined ore the chance to regen.

Mandibles
05-22-2018, 04:12 PM
Draining Gas seems a smarter response what with being loaded with potentially volatile gas canisters, especially when the first basic upgrade to the lasers does more mining strength when under 50% energy.