PDA

View Full Version : [Feedback] I actually like this.

Mandibles
05-19-2018, 04:00 PM
Okay, so, I've never actually been really into the 'adventure' side of the game. I came in for the building aspects and generally enjoy mining and coming up with new things to build more than the relentless dust and upgrade grind.

So when I saw "Non-violent methods to solve problems" I got SUPER EXCITED!

My impression of this leg of the the 'soft launch of U10' so to speak is similar to my memories of World of Warcraft's massive resource collection scheme to open the gates fo Ahn'Quiraji so many years ago. The sheer idea of being able to help an NPC group build up and prepare for an even greater threat on the other side of the force field excites me, because it'd mean I could contribute to the game as more than just 'some random builder'.

I like the Crystal system, but I wish the crystals were individual to player, not based on instance, since they seem to be the main resource in EVERYTHING. I love the random roll crystal boxes I get from helping the NPCs, but I frequently find passive critters I cant do anything for, or demand an icon I dont know how to feed yet (Treasure chest over their heads?)

I see potential in the mining system, though I'm a little concerned our lasermancy stat has no impression on this system. I managed to upgrade my lazer a bit so its more useful when I'm low energy, and I figured out it does AoE damage at teir 1 with some experimentation, but the cost of Metamatter seems too high for the lower teirs. I know you dont want all the content to be clear-able in a single day, but when each Metamatter is 10k crystals, I can already see that people are going to be uspet that they cant immediately have T1 upgrades across all their equpment. (This is currently an opinion I hold just because I did some things out of order and now my quest chain is 100% broken and I cannot continue until it's patched.)

Looking at the Crystology table, and the multiple methods of creating Metamatter with increasingly rarer mats with lower numbers but all of them requiring 10k crystal made me cringe a bit. Specifically because as the higher tiers use harder to reach material and you have to travel longer and longer amounts of time to get deeper into the mines, you still only get ONE per craft. I dont think this is the greatest idea on the long run.

The organic/inorganic quests for extra crystal chests are great! But also a bit too short/need more variety. Either expanded to specific types of ore/plants or even possibly offering npcs that will only offer players quests when they reach T2 or T3 of the mines. I was able to complete the current ones very quickly but it felt like a waste of time to immediately go back to the hub for more and play load screen roulette for such a short quest/reward.

Pets;

I currently have a sunkissed Froleek, which I hatched to pass the time while my quest chain was broken.

He hatched with +300 exploration, but I have no idea what this stat means. Rolling over the stat gives no tooltip.

It must be awesome, but I have no clue.

Enjoyable bug?;

I can use my grappling hook to knock back the plants into corners or against large veins and blow them up to speed up the mining process on the mini quests. I hope this is intentional and doesn't get removed. There are not enough of them to really use this consistently to 'exploit' an entire mine, but just a fun thing I did by accident.

I will write further feedback when I can work through more of the introduction quest.

Garpu
05-20-2018, 06:22 AM
My impression of this leg of the the 'soft launch of U10' so to speak is similar to my memories of World of Warcraft's massive resource collection scheme to open the gates fo Ahn'Quiraji so many years ago. The sheer idea of being able to help an NPC group build up and prepare for an even greater threat on the other side of the force field excites me, because it'd mean I could contribute to the game as more than just 'some random builder'.

That's what I was thinking, too. Do we get a black bug mount for the end of this part of it, too? :)

Mandibles
05-20-2018, 12:32 PM
That's what I was thinking, too. Do we get a black bug mount for the end of this part of it, too? :)

I actually think some of the Hellbug mounts that have been released previously looked similar to the Ahn'Quiraji mounts. Maybe... But they probably have all that progress ironed out already... but a black hellbug that was larger than usual with some kind of neon accents (Colors related to the mines) would be pretty cool.

I fell asleep before I could write my additional feedback from yesterday, so I'll add a few things now before I play more;

Once my quest path was fixed and I could continue properly again, the reliquaries started giving me more metamatter and it felt like a better offset tot he previously horrifying appearance of the crafted metamatter costs. Rewards for completing quests on crystal rate gain was also improved and now I'm having a much better time with the system. This does of course mean anyone who ignores the quest and goes exploring first, doing things out of order, is probably going to have a really bad time and hate the content.

Would it be inappropriate to lock the mine portals until each quest calls them into the basic introduction of each portal? Probably not, but considering I broke my quest initially by straying into the wrong portal in the first place, it was on my mind.

I finally got to use the Thumper! What a cool idea! I especially love that upper tiers will support anyone's mining speed in the local area around the active Thumper. Because of it, I've actually seen more players hanging back and looking around whenever I use it, and have started getting short hookups with other people to mine in groups. I look forward to increasing the upgrades and seeing how much team support I can get out of this thing! I actually got a little more hyped up when I saw my Thumper pulling up large chunks of crystal spawns, not just one or two. Learning where to use it for the most effective mining locations and crystal productions is really cool and I adore this feature very much. Hidden ore veins is a wonderful idea.

It actually took me a day or two of playing to figure out how to read the mines and realized theres a super obvious way to find the path down from T1 into T2 and I feel a little bad for not realizing what the signs and doorways meant earlier. Furthermore, I kept asking people over and over in global for how to determine this and the only answer I ever got back was "Go fast", so either lots of people had no idea, or werent sharing information so they could hoard all the loot in T2 and beyond.

I'm unsure if this should be left as is for its competitive marketing value, or if just one sign properly marked as "Dead End" in the hub so people know what to look for is a good idea. Learning curves can be great, but I feel like I was held back from testing stuff deeper int he mines until I finally figured this out.

I've been experiencing more and more completely stripped pathways in T1 as more people get into the test realm. Figuring out how to get to T2 has offset my need for T1 ingredients as I'm now focusing on moving past T1 as soon as possible to get to my T2 mats, and I know the higher level players will start just skipping massive pathways to get to where they need to go over a longer period of time. Hopefully this wont be too much of a problem over a long period of time but I imagine live launch is going to have a lot of people being upset they cant get any materials due to the initial burst of interested parties. I am pleased that, if nothing else, the 'within range' bonus from normal trove still applies and I can help people hit their goals without 'stealing' any resource from another person. I hope club groups take advantage of this.

Need to work on the main quest some more, but I will note before I logged out I had 130 crystal cases and I was having so much fun running around collecting stuff that I didnt even notice them piling up. Awesome!

Ibita
05-20-2018, 12:38 PM
I can use my grappling hook to knock back the plants into corners or against large veins and blow them up to speed up the mining process on the mini quests. I hope this is intentional and doesn't get removed. There are not enough of them to really use this consistently to 'exploit' an entire mine, but just a fun thing I did by accident.

It is actually a feature. During the livestream, devs did say that players can use the hook to punch them to ore veins and use them as bombs.

Fasti
05-20-2018, 07:18 PM

100% intentional. Being able to move the flowers to get resources more quickly is a definite boon. Also, the Omni-Tool is more efficient than normal Lasermancy on Trove because it's AoE. Aim your Omnit-Tool laser in the corner of resources to mine multiple blocks at once.

Medont
05-20-2018, 10:52 PM
I liked the quests :D

Unknown_Y
05-21-2018, 01:15 AM
I kinda like GEODE.

Much eager to see what is like to have monster and bosses in the cave, should be a challenging instances.